What's so great about L.A.?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I just got back from a trip to Vegas, where on one day I drove the 4 hours or so to L.A. I went to Hollywood Blvd. (the Chinese Theater), Drove up the hills near the Hollywood sign, drove on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, and drove to the beaches in Malibu. I didn't get why it is a great place, I'd rather live in south Florida where the beaches are beautiful and the ocean water is warm.

Vegas is okay, but I would never want to live in a desert, either.

2. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Well, there's obviously millions of people that like it, otherwise they wouldn't live there... just because you don't like it doesn't mean that it's not likeable.

3. B_4inches

B_4inches New Member

I dont think he meant it was unlikeable totally and I understnad where hes coming from. A lot of American tourists dont get L.A. mostly cause there really isnt a whole lot to get. A person simply isnt gonna have that "ohhhh", "ahhhh" feeling like with New York City. I grew up in LA and more than anything I miss all those options. If I wanted to I could hang out in a bunch of differant types of places, enjoy all types of food. It didnt hurt that great beaches were a 30 minute car ride away at most (fun drive too) or a long bike ride if you wanted. And some pretty nice state parks are real close by. Right now I think the tempature is or was hovering around 78 where I lived and that aint bad heh. But it does hurt that all my friends are there and I miss them :)

4. hairyman101

hairyman101 New Member

Albums:
    i lived on the streets of LA for months until i went into the navy. all i saw was people that did not know who or what they are. very closed inside. they see the homeless people but want them removed to place where they dont see them anymore. i had to give blood to live. i was not alone. it was not a thing i would do over in LA. the navy saved my life and got me off the streets.

5. B_4inches

B_4inches New Member

Oh yeah. Being a big city, its gonna have its tough spots and theres a lot of them. Dont ask me about illegal immigrants please :)

6. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ewwwww! Mem! You went to Hollyweird?! One of the armpits of L.A.!!

- - - - - - -

Actually, I don't think LA is a good place to visit, but it's pretty cool to live here because there are several redeeming factors:

-- Diversity

-- Shopping capitol of the planet, from Rodeo Drive to the garment district, and everything in between (I haven't been to the orient, and I hear that Hong Kong is awesome, but I dig LA because I can talk the same language... well, most of the time):tongue:

-- The weather at night CANNOT be beat. And for two thirds of the year (excepting the hotter summer months) the day time weather ain't bad either

-- Home improvement AND garden capitol of the world (from Beverly Hills mansions to modest bungalows in Glendale, Studio City and beyond.)

-- Year-round gardens

-- Life-style friendly

-- Incredible entertainment -- from garage punk bands to the LA Philharmonic. There are plenty of comedy clubs, theater, museums, bars, breweries, coffee shops, restaurants, street entertainers, etc. etc.

-- Studio capitol of the world! (Paramount, WB, Disney, Universal, ABC, NBC, Nickelodeon, etc etc.)

-- Child friendly -- lotsa parks

We do have problems -- especially having to do with the impact of illegal immigration on our hospitals and schools. But on the whole, it's pretty cool living here.

That said, I'm fully intending to ALSO have houses elsewhere as soon as I can afford it. :wink:

7. B_4inches

B_4inches New Member

Heh, Hollywood is fun and all, some interesting things to buy, but you gotta take it the way its being presented. I suppose a long time ago it used to be glamorous and God knows they are trying to get some of that back but to me its kinda tacky. Doesnt mean you cant have fun there though :)

I however DO NOT miss the 4 oh-fuckin 5.

8. got_lost

Gold Member

I love LA.
    If I ever managed to get a green card it's where I'd go to live.

Admittedly I have a lot of friends there, but most of my favourite bands are from round there and I'd get to do most of the things I like best... I'd move there in a trice :)

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

At the moment anywhere that's hot is sounding good to me.

10. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Never been to LA :redface:

But from what I gather its quite a superficial place with a high crime rate.

(Basically I have a similar impression to HairyMan).

That is, people there will step on anyone's neck to get where they want to be, which is usually 'money' or 'fame'. Which I think is quite sad.

11. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

That it's going to fall off in the ocean one day with the rest of that shithole state.

12. got_lost

Gold Member

I was there in July and it was ever so friendly!! :)

13. B_4inches

B_4inches New Member

You mean one of the most beautiful states in the union? Yeah, Cali really doesnt need the rest of the US what with it being the 5th largest enconomy on the planet. Oh and L.A. is #13.

Btw SLB, there are totally superficial freaks in search of fame an money all over this great country of ours. Its actually far and away more highly concentrated here where I live now than in LA. Least LA had a diversity of foolish opinions :)

Oh and Iknow, even though I dont really like 24 anymore, its always fun to watch and see him drive by places I used to live next to hehe.

Yes, I am a Valley Boy.

14. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Funniest reply! :biggrin1:

Give this man a cookie

15. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    It totally depends where in LA you are.

And IMHO, superficial is in the eye of the beholder.

LA has twice as many people as Ireland and almost (but not quite) twice as many people as Scotland.... and boiled down into a land area that is only 469 square miles.

In fact, to compare it to an area you've probably visited, LA has almost 30% more population than the Greater London Area, jammed into about 2/3rds the space. That means (in terms of density) that it's almost double the "intensity" of London.... and London is pretty intense.

And to paint a bigger picture, LA has greater population than many countries, including Sweden, Denmark, Israel, Switzerland, Hong Kong, etc. etc.

16. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Everything EAST of the San Andreas fault is going to go play with the dolphins.

17. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    LA has a horrible crime rate overall. South Central LA is a war zone. America should be taking care of the war in our own backyards, not in the one in Iraq.

I think that Americans have grown accustomed to high crime in major urban areas. That's why it's rarely discussed these days. It's a given, and it's just normal for them. They don't know life without it.

Some people trick themselves into believing that crime in big cities is not all that bad in order to cope with the violent crime statistics. That said, I don't think any big city in the US (NYC, Los Angeles, Chicago, SF, Miami) gives an accurate depiction of the real crime situation at hand. If they did, it would cause some people to leave the city, not to mention discourage tourists from visiting.

18. Love-it

Gold Member

You can see the air.

You are never alone.

You can't see the stars.

19. B_4inches

B_4inches New Member

Not true at all. And what most people think is smog is nothing more than dust particles in the air, or haze. Ive talked to a lot of out of towners who cant seem to tell the differance. And thee are plenty of places to see the stars in L.A. Those maps are actually quite accurate.

20. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL -- good one, 4inches!

Draft saved Draft deleted