What's so great about L.A.?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its hotter than where I am now?

Well, according to Google weather, the high temp in Oxford, England today (Monday) is 48 degrees Fahrenheit, and the lowest temp is/was 37 degrees = 5 degrees above freezing. :eek:

Where I live, the high today is 73 and the low tonight will be 50.

So yeah, warmer here. Barely need a jacket yet. :wink:

southwest

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The trouble with L.A. is that there ain't enough Brits living there, but that's the reason any place would be considered imperfect:tongue:

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just got back from a trip to Vegas, where on one day I drove the 4 hours or so to L.A. I went to Hollywood Blvd. (the Chinese Theater), Drove up the hills near the Hollywood sign, drove on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, and drove to the beaches in Malibu. I didn't get why it is a great place, I'd rather live in south Florida where the beaches are beautiful and the ocean water is warm.

Vegas is okay, but I would never want to live in a desert, either.

Florida has god awful humidity, LA doesnt :biggrin1:

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I just got back from a trip to Vegas, where on one day I drove the 4 hours or so to L.A. I went to Hollywood Blvd. (the Chinese Theater), Drove up the hills near the Hollywood sign, drove on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, and drove to the beaches in Malibu. I didn't get why it is a great place, I'd rather live in south Florida where the beaches are beautiful and the ocean water is warm.

I drove all over Hollywood
Looking at the stars
First I ate my Milky Way
Then I ate my Mars
But sucking on a Galaxy
I noticed something pretty bizarre
There's not a lot of people there
Just an awful lot of cars

Thomas Dolby, Pulp Culture 1988

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I liked it a lot, but that was probably it was such a difference pace and lifestyle that I'm used to. I can see how some people would romanticize it, and I get the impression that it's pretty tough to get started out there. With any luck, I might get by because I can afford to just do school for a while.

I loved the weather. I wouldn't be too upset if I could avoid snow almost altogether, really. The people-watching is pretty solid, and you definitely get a lot of good food.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You couldn't pay me to live in LA. However, if i could visit annually, I would. I love that it's temperate in the winter. I love seeing seals and sharks in the wild without oppressive humidity. I love the sunshine, and the sunsets at the beach. I love the shopping, and I LOVE driving on the very well-maintained roads.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A great thing about southern California is the climate, especially when you're not too far inland. December and January highs average 65F and lows are usually above 50F. There are no thunder storms like on the east coast. It's nice to not have to worry too much about the weather. It basically doesn't rain from April to October, so if you have any outdoor event planned it won't get rained out.

People also tend to be a little more beauty conscience. Even if it's just 10% of the population compared to other cities, it makes a noticeable difference. Some people might make fun of this and talk about people being superficial. I used to live near one of the fattest cities in the USA, and it was kind of depressing, so I don't mind people caring about their physical appearance.

3664shaken

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Lived in LA (Manhattan Beach) for 8 years, while NO place is perfect I think LA has much more negatives than positives, I for one would never go back.

Positives

Night Life (clubs, bars, etc)
Jobs (lots of high paying ones to be had)
Entertainment
Great Food/restaurants

Negatives

Smog
Traffic
Weather (I love 4 seasons and unless you live on the coast inland gets unbearably hot in the summer.)
Virtually NO Thunderstorms, how can you live somewhere without thunderstorms, the coolest display of nature.
Graffiti and trash
Mudslides
Drab surroundings (Trees are never really green, just more olive green)
Crime
Cost of Living
Fires
Population Density/overcrowding
I didn’t speak the correct language
Public schools are terrible
Earthquakes
Beaches are dirty and water is cold
Unfriendly (I lived in NYC, Miami, Seattle, and LA has the rudest people in it)

I’m not slamming people who love LA, but everyone has different expectations.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I lived there a good majority of my life so of course I am going to see the good over the bad because it will always be "Home". So, what's so great about L.A.?
1) The weather is great (except for the Santa Ana winds which always result in fires)
2) It's spread out so it doesn't feel claustrophobic.
3) The air is unlike any other place I have lived...it is warm and breezy.
4) The smell of jasmine, roses, lavender, and my favorite...orange blossoms. It is heavenly to sit outside at night and be able to take in that fragrance.
5) L.A. will always remind me of care-free days, swimming pools, parties, and good friends
6) Picking oranges straight off your tree in the backyard on Christmas morning and making fresh squeezed juice for breakfast.
7) People drive better there than other cities where I've lived!