What's the best cell phone & service available in the USA?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

I am in the market for a new cell phone and provider.

Currently I have T-Mobile and I haven't been particularly thrilled with their phones or their pricing. I am willing to take the $200 hit to get out of this before the end of my 2 year plan in December. Right now I pay $107 a month for 600 minutes, unlimited texting, IM, cell phone; and cell insurance. I have gone through 3 phones since August 2007. They just blank out on me or suddenly I cant use the 'i' or the 'y' when texting.

I was looking at the Helio site and was quite impressed. Does anybody here use them. I am also considering going back to either AT&T or Verizon.

2. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Might give Verizon a look. No personal experience with them, but they consistently come out on top in the ratings. I'm with AT&T currently and they're so-so.

3. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've been with Verizon for the past couple years and am very happy with the service. The pricing is a little steep but what can you do... I don't think there's a dramatic difference price-wise between Verizon and AT&T/Cingular.

I primarily chose Verizon because their coverage is great in SoCal and the places I usually travel to - up the West Coast, Chicago and Boston/NY/NJ/Philly. I can't remember the last time somebody couldn't "hear me now." I pay about $150/mo for unlimited text, internet and 1350 minutes with free long distance. I use a Treo and love it, if you have need for a more multi-purpose communicator than just a phone its pretty damn good.

A couple friends of mine got iPhone's recently. They love the phone, but not AT&T/Cingular. For some reason the coverage is really spotty - may just be here, but they get a lot of dropped calls and bad reception (considering this is such a big city you would think ATT would have their shit together better - but now that I think about it I had ATT when I first moved here and it was shite).

4. D_Claude_Crowsfoot

D_Claude_Crowsfoot Account Disabled

I've been with Verizon for about 5 years and I have no complaints about the service. Other family members and friends have used T-Mobile and hated it.

I pay around $110 a month for 1000 minutes, unlimited text, and unlimited internet on my blackberry. The prices are a little bit above the market, but you get what you pay for.

As for a new cell phone, stay away from Motorola. They break all the time. I'm not even kidding, and I take care of my phones too. I would recommend the Blackberry Pearl or maybe LG or Samsung. Blackberry is obviously a premium, but I've heard good things about LG and Samsung too.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Until I switched to T-Mobile I never had a problem with a Motorola phone! This magenta RAZR is a piece of crap! LG is okay I had them with Cingular, but I really didn't like the Samsung phone I had with T Mobile when I first switched to them.

Since I text and use the web more than talk, a 600 minute plan is fine for me. I can't tell you how convenient it is to have access to Yahoo! Maps when driving. :smile: I don't feel like I need all the bells & whistles of a Blackberry. Though I do like the look of the newer Blackberry Pearls, they are almost sexy. :cool:

6. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I don't know if it's just a coincidence but since switching to t-mobile my friend has had a similar problem with texts, she's had to have three new phones during the time she was with them, whereas with vodaphone she only changed her phone when she wanted a newer model and never needed to because of any problem with the phone.

7. Osiris

Gold Member

Having had AT&T/Cingulair and Sprint, I am overjoyed with T-Mobile. Maybe it's the device you have. I know I hated my Blackberry Pearl and I upgraded to the Wing which features a full slider keyboard and Windows Mobile.

I agree with everyone else, give Verizon a shot. Our best friends have it and they love it. Another thing is if you buy a GM car equipped with OnStar and cellular phone, you can get the phone service at a massive discount because it is handled by Verizon.

Helios has just hit the market out here so I am not familiar with anyone who has them.

Hope that helps.

8. Osiris

Gold Member

Oops, I missed this...

Razrs suck. They are cute for the kiddies, but I find that Motorola's are crap. I was a die hard Samsung user until I went to T-Mobile. A lot of people blame the service provider as opposed to the device. Here are some observations I've made over the years about certain phones with certain providers:

Nokia - Bloody piece of piss. All style no substance and they don't work well with any of the providers I have encountered.

Motorola - Did best with AT&T/Cingular, but not much else. The Razr line was accused of being rushed to market and the cameras have issues and reception sucks from what I have heard from Razr owners.

Samsung - Works well with Sprint/Nextel's network. Samsung produces a quality phone, but only Sprint seems to have mastered how to get it to work well. Samsungs work OK with T-Mobile, but the newer Samsung line, mainly the sleek t629, is having issues with their network, that was the main reason I upgraded.

Blackberry - The newer models look sleeker, but they don't hold up well. My wife's white Pearl looks like it went through a Beirut bombing and it is only a year old and it mainly lives in it's case (which is a MUST if you get a Blackberry). The bigger Blackberry line are work horses. Most businesses use them and are switching to the sleeker version now (BB Curve). Not as sexy as the Pearl, but offers a full keyboard (I hated the keyboard on the Pearl) and is like it's older larger bretheren. I would tell you to look at the 8800. Bigger than the Pearl, but looks like it and has a full keyboard.

iPhone - Exclusive to AT&T/Cingular. They are pretty sleek and loaded with features, but I think the problem I hear most is that no cell network is fully up to snuff to truly make this phone sing the way Apple has intended. In fact, buzz in the tech community is that Apple is trying to break their exclusive bond with AT&T and may be offering their own service. I think then we'd see this phone really take off. As for now, the 8 friends I have that own iPhones are not happy with the cell service on it. They like all the features, but don't feel they are getting the full deal out of this phone through AT&T/Cingular.

Shadow - Exclusive to T-Mobile. My boys are text mad (they do around 5,000 texts a month each on average). They are much happier with these than they were their Samsung t629s. The Shadow is Windows Mobile. Has loads of features, great camera and for the Pearl addicts out there, has a keayboard like the Pearl. I think they are really sleek phones and I like the slider feature for the keypad. They also accomodate mini chips. This saved me a butt load on my boys begging for iPods as they now use their phones for MP3 playing.

Titan Series phones (T-Mobile Wing and AT&T Tilt) - The Wing (AKA Titan I) and the Tilt (AKA Titan II) are fabulous Windows Mobile devices. These are for people who want mini PC, PDA, and phone in their hand. They have Windows Mobile, MS Office, Internet Explorer, Mobile Outlook, Media Player, and feature full keyboards and excellent cameras that do video as well. I have the Wing and my neighbor (An Evangelist at Microsoft) has the Tilt. Same phone, but the Tilt is sleeker and I think has a little more memory on the phone than the Wing. Memory isn't an issue because they take the mini chips. Great for a picture, video, music, and application junkie like me.

Sidekick - Too big and bulky and primarily designed for a kids market. The new models have gotten smaller, but they are still on the bulky side. My 15 year old had one and hated it from jump once he got it out of the box.

Mind you these are the phones I have experience with either first hand or from others that I deal with regularly. One brand I will mention as it is one that almost all the providers have is LG. I know Verizon plugs the Chocolate line and all networks have at least one LG phone in their line up. From what I have seen, they are good phones and no complaints, but no people jumping for joy either. Nokias are good phones, if you live in Europe where they are headquartered. I think Nokia has problems with the American networks due to their key market being Europe and Japan.

Hopefully this helps you out making the decision and determining what is actually the fault of the phone and what is the fault of the provider.

9. Northland

Gold Member

I have been happy with AT&T-Cingular-AT&T Mobility (this is the order of the company name change with its merger included, now AT&T Mobility) since 2002. In that time, I have lost only 7 calls- so few that, yes, I can count them easily. The voice quality has been good for both me and the person receiving the call (at least they say it has). My current unit is a SonyEricsson and it is absolutely fantastic.

Of course cell phones and their reliability vary according to where you are located and the towers near you. Additionally, the problems you've had with the y and i for texting may be the phone more than the provider. When I was getting ready to purchase my current phone (which is not the one you see in my picture at left), I did a little research first to find what the overall parameters were on each phone. Total battery time, signal range, ability to pick up signals from the center of a room or a basement as opposed to only outdoors or near windows. I got this one in April of 2006 and it still works great. I am on it for about 8 hours per week, sometimes longer, which is not the most time but a good enough chunk to give you an idea on the reliability of AT&T.

10. snoozan

Gold Member

of all the providers i've had, i like verizon.

and everyone i know with T-Mobile thinks it's shit.

11. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I have had Sprint and Verizon, and I wasn't pleased with either, really. I just switched to Cricket, and they are the shit. If they are in your area, go for it. I have a Samsung phone (I freakn love Samsung phones) and I haven't had any problems with any of them. I have unlimited texting, unlimited internet, unlimited picture messages, unlimited long distance, caller id, the works... for $50 a month plus taxes. I went today to pay my bill and it was $60. They are new, and if you travel a lot, it may not be the best option because they don't have a lot of coverage outside of cities... but I don't think you do a lot of traveling. So if they are in your area, give 'em a shot.

12. Mandee

Gold Member

Where I live the only companies that have signal here are Verizon and AT&T/Cingular. When I lived in Reno I had T-mobile and I was so mad when I moved here because now I can't use my phone.

I've had three phones, two were Nokia and one was a Samsung. I prefer the Nokias... my brother and mom both have Motorolla phones and I HATE them... my brother has a Razor and it's so hard to hold on to without pushing other buttons and Motorolla is just so confusing as well. The day I got my first Nokia I didn't have to do anything to figure it out, it was just so simple and natural.

13. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

NJ--I have been with Verizon for over 10 years and have never had any problems with service or dropped/missed calls or not getting a signal (except in some very rural areas in NC and Mississippi)

My RAZR has been one of the best phones I have ever had, I have had zero problems.

Each phone company usually comes out with a dud every few years and Motorola has certainly had it's share. They now have RAZR2 and are coming out with RIZR (the answer to the LG CHocolate).

In my early years, I used Nokia phones but I got tired of not having a clam-shell (flip style) so I went to LG, then Motorola and have not looked back.

14. SexandCandy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I MISS my Cricket service!! I used to live in Nashville, and it was the SHIT! :) I LOVED it... I would HIGHLY recommend Cricket to anyone....but if you travel, it would suck as they're not all over the country yet. Still, the price and service can't be beat.

15. Love-it

Gold Member

You should try getting out of your plan without penalties due to poor service, etc. With your skills you should be able to get them to concede.

I have had Verizon and US Cellular which have very poor signal representation in my part of the great West. I have had much better luck with AT&T, the holes are smaller and the signals stronger.

16. Principessa

Gold Member

What skills might those be Love-it? :confused: I really don't think giving the guy at the T-Mobile kiosk in the local mall a bj is a good idea. I mean sure, it will be fun and he'll consider it the luckiest day of his life; but I doubt that will make him waive the penalty fee. :tongue::rolleyes::biggrin1:

17. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I have a Motorola bag phone and loved it. It would reach anywhere and I could program it to lock out individual towers so I wouldn't get hit with wild roaming charges. But alas, it's analog and every thing's gone digital.

So I get a Motorola RAZR. The only problem I've ever had was the battery exploded while being charged by the car. Fortunately, it was under warranty and got a new one. It has been flawless. I got the CD from Motorola to hack into it, got it unlocked and AT&T pitched a fit when I did. Didn't much care for the OS on it, so I loaded Linux onto it. Best thing that I did to it. It has been absolutely perfect.

When I was doing the limousine thing, we had many Nokias. All of us drivers hated those things. They would get hot, or the batteries would heat up until the phone just died from literally over heating. So we got Ericsson phones. I cannot tell you how many of those things we went through because the boards would just suddenly up and fry themselves.

I'm sticking with Motorola until they decide to make one that can't be hacked for the better!!

18. Love-it

Gold Member

O-R-A-T-O-R-Y not O-R-A-L. Though that might work also.

You explain yourself so well and tell it like it is, just take the same tack with your cell phone company. Firmly and steadfastly relate the litany of your woes with his company, equipment and service and stay on subject, don't be a defeatist. Your resolve will encourage them to come to some resolution in your favor.

The famous "Can you hear me now?" advertising slogan gave a lot of customers a chance to ditch their service because that service is still lousy in my town, to non-existent at my business and at my house. The argument is "Why would anyone buy a phone that doesn't work and continue to pay for it. Would you accept that level of service on a phone that you bought for your wife or daughter?"

Good luck!

19. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is my provider:

https://www.consumercellular.com/

I'm on the 100 minutes $20.00 per month plan but there are a variety of them available. I've been quite happy with this plan.

Draft saved Draft deleted