whats the deal with guys shaving their armpits

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
While we're on the subject of body hair reducing bacterial growth and therefore smell. I have to pass this anecdote along.

In my 30's I regularly ran between 5 and 10 miles a day with a group of coworkers. One of them was an endocrinologist who was also a zealous vegetarian. He always complained about the way we "meat eaters" smelled. And there's truth to that. If you don't eat meat or anything made from meat, eggs, and milk you definitely can pick up a different smell among us carnivores. He also insisted that his daily runs worked up a good enough sweat that it acted as a natural bath. Therefore, he felt he needed to shower/bathe only once (possibly twice) a week. He said he had "medical" proof that he was right.

Well, medical proof or no, we had an office intervention because no one could stand to be in the same building with the guy. A sauna is one thing. Running every day to "open the pores" is an entirely different thing. I'm told he still washes daily, even though he doesn't believe he needs to. And he didn't think it was anything more than coincidence that when he began daily bathing after that intervention that he met a fine-looking woman who eventually married him. He's a good guy and a good physician, but was dumb as a brick when it came to personal hygiene.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
He also insisted that his daily runs worked up a good enough sweat that it acted as a natural bath. Therefore, he felt he needed to shower/bathe only once (possibly twice) a week. He said he had "medical" proof that he was right.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :frown1:

What about the medical proof that bacteria, including Staphylococcus, are can be passed by casual skin to skin contact?

Diet and/or nutritional supplement are a big part of b.o. though. I'm not one to spend hours primping because Im lazy so I keep it neat but natural...just shower 2x a day if need be to stay clean.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
He's a good guy and a good physician, but was dumb as a brick when it came to personal hygiene.
Thanks for the laugh!

I'm attracted to things that smell nice and repulsed by things that smell bad. While I can appreciate the opinions of those of you who favor underarm hair as natural for a guy, I can't stand to smell myself when I stink. I've never shaved my armpits with a razor, yet trimming with clippers is a suitable alternative for me. 30 years ago, I would have never gave the idea any thought. Now trimming is a part of my lifestyle.

str8up8x6

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The more hair the more bacteria that will grow, that's why they shave the area prior to any surgery. And the more bacteria the more the smell and deodorant you'll have to use.

Trimming usually accomplishes the same thing as shaving and it's a lot more attractive on men than completely shaved and easier to maintain. There's an epidemic of shaved crotches out there. The worst is when they do geometric patterns.

TheRenaissance

Just Browsing
Media
Just like an overgrown bush, the pits need to be tamed as well. Most guys have a razor to shave, but not necessarily the dexterity to handle scissors in that area or an electric trimmer.

Besides, if you shave then maintenance intervals will be longer...obviously I'm not accounting for the person that wants to be hairless all the time.