What's the deal with Stephen Colbert?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BillyPilgrimOD, Jan 19, 2007.

1. BillyPilgrimOD

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I don't have cable (it's a freakin' wasteland), so I'm not really up on everything that's going on in "the media." But suddenly everyone's treating everything that Stephen Colbert does like it's as newsworthy as Barrack Obama. I mean, he's a comedian! He does satire. And yet him going on that loudmouth asshole O'Reilly's show is somehow worthy of 5 minutes on NPR?

I remember back in the day, Craig Kilbourn opened up the Daily Show with "Good evening! South Park paid for this set." Five years later, more young people are getting their news from the Daily Show than any other broadcast. What kind of bizarre, mixed-up, post-modern society are we living in where the biggest newsmakers are the comedians who do fake news?

Sorry, just had to get that out there.

2. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's because both the Daily Show and the Colbert Report tend to be more factual than any of the normal news shows. I include network news, calbe news and even commentary programs in this.

The reason they are so popular is that they are able to break the news down to what the average joe can understand instead of talking down the to the public, which it seems a lot of news shows do.

Steven Colbert got a lot of publicity for going on O'Reilly's show because he based his character on Bill O'Reilly.

Both shows have the ability to take the news and actually make it interesting and fun. Whereas, in my opinion, all the other news shows are very dry and unless you like the topic they are talking about at that time really boring. The examples that come to mind are: Hard Ball with Chris Matthews, Keith Obermann, Meet the Press just to name a few.

My judgement is still out on Katie Curick (sp). It's too soon in her career with CBS to see what impact she has made on it. To be fair, though, I don't watch it so I can not give a really informed opinion on it.

3. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Stephen Colbert is brilliant, and his show is brilliant. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are the smartest hour of television on television (narrowly edging out South Park lately), and they produce this stuff 4 times a week somewhere around 40+ weeks a year. It's amazing. The show with Craig Kilborne was funny, edgy, and very clever..... but it was also stupid fun next to what TDSwJS is now and what TCR always has been.

The show wasn't really much changed after Kilborne left after a falling out with the producers about 8 years ago, but after 9/11 it went in a very different direction. It's still as funny, as edgy, and as brilliant as ever (if not moreso), but instead of the guests du jour being Kathy Ireland or Lance Bass every day, they now frequently have on people like Reza Aslan or Richard Clarke. Their unique brand of sarcastic smartassery is also now imbued with a greater sense of political and moral responsibility than it used to be.

When Stewart has on guests to his show, he is the most gracious and intelligent host possible. Though he obviously has liberal leanings himself, he REALLY allows anyone on his show to completely articulate whatever point they are trying to make and is completely fair and (dare I say it?) balanced about it, helping his guest flesh out their position instead of trying to shout them down. He does all of this while at the same time thinking up jokes on the fly and being wickedly funny while he's doing it. He has got to be the smartest man on television. In a world full of bullshit and lies and partisan hackery (you are absolutely right, in general, the television landscape these days is a completely miserable wasteland)... Stewart's presentation is so fresh and so welcome. You may accuse Stewart of being nothing more than a comedian or satirist, and by his own admission this is the most important aspect of what he does, but stood up next to mindless automotons like Sean Hannity who just read lists of talking points and pretend that they are opinion, Stewart really IS the most valuable voice of reason and intelligent discussion and debate on the airwaves. Nobody else has the balls or the decency to tell it like it is the way these guys do.

If Stewart is the smartest man on television, then Colbert is the funniest. His character parody of O'Reilly and the other talking heads is so absolutely brilliant and spot-on. Through the deft and ingenious use of dry wit, understatement and hyperbole, Stephen is able to expose commonly accepted and taken-for-granted discourses in the political and social dialectic for the absurdist garbage that they actually are, and he is SCATHINGLY funny while he does it. He could have easily been another Tom Brokaw or Stone Phillips, he has the voice and the gravitas and the talent for it, but he chose this instead and thank God for that.

You balk at the common assumption (often made with derision) that so many of the younger generation get all their news from these shows. But this is wrong for two reasons. First, with what passes for a news show anywhere else these days (and is in fact political or corporate hackery), the Daily Show is about as good if not better a source of news than anywhere else, if you prefer to get your information in half hour segments. Second, just because TDS or TCR might be the only "news" show that certain people watch does NOT mean that they are underinformed. Quite the contrary, as polls have shown that on average viewers of these shows are FAR more aware of the issues, world and local events, et cetera than viewers of any other show or channel, particularly Fox News (which is funny since O'Reilly often accuses the audience for these shows of being drug-using unaware slackers). If you don't have a very keen awareness and understanding of what is going on in the world, including history as well as current events, you won't even get 60% of the jokes on these shows. People who watch and find this stuff funny usually are very well informed from other sources, including, more often than not, the internet. Which, in spite of still being full of disinformation, is probably now the single most valuable source of truth out there now that the American news media has gone completely to shit.

Hope that helps.

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Well, Roger, I think you partially answered your own question. The Colbert Report and The Daily Show are not news shows, nor are they intended to be news shows. They are comedy shows, presented by comedians. The comedy stems from snippets of news and current events and politics, which are then steeped in a tasty broth of satire, irony, and sarcasm.

Now, regarding those who "get their news" from these shows: let's just say "bless their little hearts" and pity them, that they don't know the difference.

Double that pity for those who get their "news" from Bill O'Reilly.

5. jockstrap314

jockstrap314 Member

Albums:
    NineInch, will you marry me?

6. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Not legal in the state of Virginia, sorry... =(

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

In that case, how about (as Dr Laura says,) shack up? I've got plenty of room...:biggrin1:

8. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Hahaha... there are many words I could think of to describe your quite unique place of residence, Mr. Deep, but roomy isn't one of the first that spring to mind.

[edit] and Dr. Laura is a hypocritical bitch

9. BillyPilgrimOD

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I get all my news either from NPR or the BBC. Everything else is a bunch of biased, corporate-approved trash. JMHO, though.

I love the Daily Show when I get a chance to see it. Haven't seen the Colbert Report, but Colbert is extremely funny. BUT, it's satire, not real news, and I guess that's where the whole media frenzy around it confuses me. No one made that big a deal out of what Jane Curtain said on Weekly Update.

10. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

TDS has been a greater force in influencing opinions and shaping the direction of political debate in this country than Saturday Night Live ever was, though obviously the show owes much to Curtain, Miller, Chase, et al. As well as other shows like Talk Soup.

But anyway, that's why people make a deal out of it.

BBC and NPR are good choices.

11. BillyPilgrimOD

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    BTW, you make me feel so inadequate! My IQ's only like 140 :(.

12. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

It's just a number. IQ tests are about the most notoriously arbitrary things in the world.

140 is still damn good on most tests, too.

13. BillyPilgrimOD

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm more just joking that men will always find something to feel inadequate about, whether it's cock size, height, weight, biceps, car, salary, wife/girlfriend/boyfriend, or hairline.

14. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

In that case I won't mention my full thick head of hair. Fuck, I'm so awesome...

15. BillyPilgrimOD

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    "Every time that I look at myself, I can't believe how awesome I am." --Strong Bad

16. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
  17. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

He wasn't that good. Not half as amusing as Stewart on Crossfire. O'Reilly on Colbert's show (the same night) was much funnier.

Though the revelation that Stephen's 3rd grade teacher was Ms. Crabtree was good.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

While your witty reparte(sic) is delightful, you could be bald and I would still want you to fuck me on the hood of your Viper.

19. HUNGHUGE11X7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well first of all NPR will always be the best unbiased source for news and information, case closed.

The thing with Colbert as well as Stewart is they entertain us but also give us the news as infotainment. The daily show is the best source for news today and the reason the past election finally went right.
    Colbert who was on The daily show before The Colbert report was more like the real Stephen when on the show but now he has his own show where he lampoons King O'Reilly. Bill was on his show last night which I can't fathom since Colbert is mocking him lol...........Is he so delusional, trying to improve his ratings , wtf ?
    Bill has his talking points where he says one thing and then what he is really thinking comes out on the screen, Colbert does the same thing with The Word.......he will say what his fanatical right-wing mind thinks and then show what the real Stephen Colbert is thinking in a blue box.
    Some people, I have heard are ignorant to the fact that Colbert is mocking O'Reilly and think that Stephen really thinks like him...... that is the funniest thing I have ever heard and shows the brilliance that is STEPHEN COLBERT.

:banana:
    HORSE

20. drumstyck

drumstyck New Member

there are obviously some people that dont get the joke when you remember that Colbert was invited to speak at the White House Correspondent's Dinner...he said some things about Bush that really made me go "wow, did no one check out this speech beforehand to approve it?"

YouTube - Stephen Colbert Roasts Bush

YouTube - Stephen Colbert Roasts Bush 2

overall, i think Colbert is brilliant because he absolutely NAILS what he's trying to do...he takes all the crap that O'Rielly and Matthews and everyone does and just does it so perfectly.

Draft saved Draft deleted