What's the difference between being great friends and having a realtionship?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by galaxus, Sep 11, 2009.

1. galaxus

galaxus Member

Great friends: Partners. People who trust each other and enjoy each others company.

Relationship: Partners. People who trust each other and enjoy each others company.

What's the difference? And don't tell me sex because that's not a necessity in either case.

2. D_Fluoridia Bidet

D_Fluoridia Bidet New Member

Well if you are more than just friends than yes there is a big difference. It's not just sex but the connection you feel. If you feel more like you are in love it's a relationship. If you just love being around each other it's friend. It's sort of hard to explain. I hope I stated something clear. But people view it differently so people may vary in answering your question.

3. lickme69

lickme69 New Member

I think the key to a great relationship is you are friends too. The difference is you feel love for that person. They make your heart flutter and you cannot wait to be with them, you think of them all of the time.

4. haydonsw19

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I also agree that the key to any great relationship is that you are good friends but its by no means everything. I think there has to be a whole constellation of other factors to make it work including physical attraction, life goals, mutual respect etc.

I've just come out of a six year relationship that has transitioned in my mind anyway to us just being friends. Its a tough one to call as to what the difference is!

5. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Ummmm, A friendship is a relationship. They both have levels of intimacy, just in different ways.

A relationship is how two individuals interact with one an other. Basically how they relate.

Do you have a relationship with your:
    parents
    children
    siblings
    teachers
    mentors
    business partners

Friendship is none of those but you can develop a friendship within those relationships.

How many people say that thier significant other is also their best friend?

Now, if you are referring to an intimate relationship, then it is based on sex. Whether you have sex or not isnt the point. But how many people then complain that the partner acts more like a friend instead of a lover?

6. heist

heist New Member

Albums:
    I think neuroscience has broken this down nicely: three major areas of the brain related to feeling a "relationship" are said to deal with 1) lust, 2) romance, and 3) attachment.

You've precluded lust, and attachment by itself would probably make "great friends." I suspect "romance" definitely distinguishes a relationship. What that actually means is a bit tricky. "Romance" in this sense refers to the glowy, giddy feeling you might get around the person. Do you feel "giddy" around your great friends? Not usually, I think.

7. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I think that the feelings of being in love are more physical or in the senses, ei, lust and romance. I think you can have some romantic feelings about a friend but thy are different than with a lover. I think either one of these connections constitutes a relationship.

8. Principessa

Gold Member

Actually sex is a necessity for a successful and healthy adult relationship. Anything else is just a great friendship. I'm not trying to be snarky but that's how the word is defined. :cool: As has been noted by Wish-4-8
    The physical aspect matters. It matters a lot. Every man and woman on this site who has cheated or considers cheating gay or straight has done it because of sex and the lack there of.

a state of connectedness between people (especially an emotional connection); "he didn't want his wife to know of the relationship"
    a state involving mutual dealings between people or parties or countries

9. Trouty

Trouty New Member

Q.F.T

10. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

You share alittle extra with your partner in a relation, u have the same dreams and wants the same together with each other...

11. galaxus

galaxus Member

You caan't have that with friends? You can't have that with the friend of the same sex and be straight?

12. galaxus

galaxus Member

Can't you have that with friends? Would it be wrong to be in a relationship and have these connections with friends of both sexes?

13. B_Artful Dodger

B_Artful Dodger New Member

I dont think there is a difference. Everyone you come into contact with frequently you build a relationship with. Love is not the defining factor as I love my buddies or my mum for example far more than some people who I have had sexual relationships with...
    It all depends on your view of the word "relationship"

14. D_Jared Padalicki

It depends on what you see tbh. For example, if I'm in a relationship and that person shares the dream to have a baby together, then no, I can't see me do that with my friends because I don't want to have a baby with my friends... But it really depends on what you have on your mind. You can think about sex, babies, friendship, really anything. And in my case I had babies in mind.

15. Principessa

Gold Member

Yes, Pieter dahling I will have your babies, :heart: and I promise it won't ruin our friendship.:smile::tongue:

16. D_Jared Padalicki

What friendship? :confused:

17. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Geez NJ what about poor ole' Tex? :eek:

C.B.:saevil:

18. Principessa

Gold Member

Sheesh, it's a joke people. :rolleyes::tongue: I don't know Pieterjoke at all and Tex and I are way more than friends not that it's any of your business, CB. :irked:

19. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

A critical point--if you are good friends with another person, you are in a relationship with them (just usually not a sexual relationship). I love my friends, I yearn to spend time with them, I think of them, we debate, we make up, etc.

Good and strong relationships are founded upon great friendships. If they are not, they do not and can not last.

I have known my ex-wife since we were 17 (20 years!!) and through marriage, divorce, kids, coming out--we remain the best of friends.

My hubby and I are awesome friends. We confide in and tell each other everything--even the difficult things--for it is better to be honest to one another than to lie.

If you are not really good friends, no relationship will sustain over time and through the peaks and valleys that are sure to come.

20. Symphonic

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know. I'm on the same wavelength from a personal experience outlook.

Draft saved Draft deleted