Whats the first thing you give up when you are out of money?

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
alcohol and dining in restaurants (take-out and pizza delivery included)

Last edited:

kenny233

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I would suggest giving up restaurants, bars, coffee shops, unnecessary driving around, and going to concerts (I go to alot). I don't have any television subscription, but if I did, that would surely go. Don't buy anything unless you really need it. Cut back on your utilities with the thermostat.

Every little bit helps, and then when you have money again, you will be practicing these things and can save for something good. I'd rather live without most of those things and have extra money to travel and go places.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was only out of money once. I gave up eating and lived off tea for a few days. Quite a lean weekend, that was :p

Think I had a sausage roll and several cups of tea for three days. Now I just buy whatever I want. Don't really drink alcohol much anymore so I've saved a small fortune there. But if I did want to save money I would stop buying clothes. Or try to.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Depends on what you mean by "out of money". I've been seriously almost starving and pretty close to living on the street. At that point I gave up meals, and stuck to a half can of soup a day. Thank goodness that was long ago!

But if you mean, things are a little tight... then I give up meals out and shopping.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
excessive use of the vehicle, eventually combining one vehicle between brother and myself..
costs saved are quite significant, incl other enviros of course..

age / stage / circumstances permit this to work, otherwise would look at something else of course..
ie refine diet etc. bulk chinese tea biscuits heaps of veges and miniscule portions of meats, wonderful to cleanse the system .

Last edited:

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, it's been a while since I lived paycheck to paycheck, but as a single mom there were plenty of lean times.

Going out was top of the list. Babysitting costs were an extravagance.

Cable would go next.

Magazine subscriptions/charitable donations. Yeah, you would think charity would go first, but my Mum was a pretty big influence.

Fancy food like good cuts of meat and sometimes any meat. This includes soft drinks, coffee and other stuff that I would pick up at a convenience store.

I made it through OK. I wanted to make sure my daughter wasn't too affected by lean times. I don't think she ever knew.

I've always been fortunate to have a job, but sometimes things just didn't stretch far enough.