What's the Most Boring Sport to Watch?

D_golden parachute

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I can understand all the votes for golf but it's action-packed thrilling stuff compared to cricket... :yawn: :sleeping1:

20/20 cricket is amazing

cos they have to go for the big shots rather than playing defensively

I think I'll go for F1, used to love it, now it's dominated by 2 teams and has little to no action

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd love to tell you but I no nothin about it.
I'm sure an american will let you know soon enough. lol
Isn't it america's national sport?

It's America's national pastime -- which means that its "sport" designation is already tenuous at best.

At its core, it's like playing catch in the yard. You'll see far more father-son pairs than husband-wife couples at most games, especially at the minor league level. That's where it's ingrained into American culture -- a dad & his son taking some time on their own to put on a couple baseball gloves and toss the ball around, which often becomes their time to bond, talking about all manner of subjects and about life in general.

It's why, late in the movie Field Of Dreams, at the scene where Kevin Costner asks his father's ghost if he'd like to play some catch, you'll probably not find (at least in the US) any male in the room who's not misty-eyed.

It's the big hits, the amazing catches, and the tight double plays at push it into the realm of sport.

Do you think watching sport is unnatural. When I was a kid my parents didn't watch sport and neither did I, my kids didn't watch it and none of my siblings or kids like watching sport to this day. Parents who like football sit with their kids watching it thus conditioning them to like it. I've noticed that if you stick a baby in front of a tv it will love the pretty colours, the adverts, the programs with people in, but then sport comes on and it starts whining.

I'd say you were conditioned to not watch sport just like you say that other kids were conditioned to watch it. Kids learn from their parents, after all.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's occurred to me in the past that sports are often social activities to begin with. I mentioned this in the post above about baseball, and I think it applies to many others. Whether it's actually during the game, or afterwards at the bar, it's a chance for all those people to get together and have a good time.

They have several amateur leagues in DC for sports like softball and ultimate frisbee; they even have a kickball league. The players aren't in it for the glory, they're in it to have fun.

That's what sport is all about, isn't it?

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yorkie, you disappoint me!

TV brought outside, deck chairs on the lawn, barbecue going and plenty of beer to hand, standing up and cheering whenever a six is hit, screaming "how's that!?" everytime there's a call for LBW.

Nothing could be more English. Where are you from again? :biggrin1:

Hehe... See what I mean? :biggrin1:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
How does your ignorance mean it is boring?
I FULLY admit it's my ignorance, in my travels around the world i realize that Cricket is exceedingly popular...from europe, to the Indian sub-continent, to Asia.......I think I need to sit and watch a match where someone explains to me what's going on.......I love everything with "bats and Balls".

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
20/20 cricket is amazing
cos they have to go for the big shots rather than playing defensively

I think I'll go for F1, used to love it, now it's dominated by 2 teams and has little to no action
Is that when they play for about 8 hours instead of 5 days?
Life's too short.
F1 is the only sport I watch.It's not about supporting teams for me,it's individual drivers.I'll be up at 6:00 am tomorrow to see Lewis Hamilton make history.

Yorkie, you disappoint me!

TV brought outside, deck chairs on the lawn, barbecue going and plenty of beer to hand, standing up and cheering whenever a six is hit, screaming "how's that!?" everytime there's a call for LBW.

Nothing could be more English. Where are you from again? :biggrin1:
So it's all about stuffing your face and getting drunk? :tongue:
My dad was born in Warsaw so I didn't have the traditional Yorkshire cultural upbringing,but my 100% Yorkshire bred uncle and grandad never had any interest in field sports either.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For the most part I find just about all sport boring to watch. Even sports I enjoy(ed) playing I find boring to watch with the possible exception of rugby - which I don't play!? This was a great surprise and one for which I have no explanation. I don't understand the rules at all other than needing to move a ball from one end of a field to another while under attack.

I will say however that attending a live football match in say Central America (or much of Africa) is a spectacle to be experienced at least once - so long that is that the 'local' team wins or all hell can break loose, which can lead to a whole other sport!!

Back on topic - I'd say golf is at (or at least near the top of my list) - watching people walk around outside for hours occasionally hitting small balls with sticks?? I'd rather watch radiators warm up, there's more action.