What's the one thing that's missing in your life?

By most standards, I am missing a lot in my life. I have no financial security, no savings, no relative certainty of living more than another year or so, no love life, no job, and no kids.

The no money thing is irksome, the cancer thing is frightening and tiresome, and the no love thing is frustrating. I don't really miss the job or kids though. Despite this, I find myself happier than I've been in my entire life. It takes a great deal of effort to stay present and centered and I certainly do NOT always manage to do so. I take great joy (and frustration) from my dogs, from walking in the woods, from friends and family, and being accepting of the good things and people that come to me.

If I had a choice to say, I'd say the one thing that's missing from my life is good health. If I had it, I could get off Medicaid, get a job, start making money, be able to travel around a bit more, get a place of my own, work out, and do a whole host of things. Everything really stems from that so I'll say that's the first and foremost thing that's missing.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
By most standards, I am missing a lot in my life. I have no financial security, no savings, no relative certainty of living more than another year or so, no love life, no job, and no kids.

The no money thing is irksome, the cancer thing is frightening and tiresome, and the no love thing is frustrating. I don't really miss the job or kids though. Despite this, I find myself happier than I've been in my entire life. It takes a great deal of effort to stay present and centered and I certainly do NOT always manage to do so. I take great joy (and frustration) from my dogs, from walking in the woods, from friends and family, and being accepting of the good things and people that come to me.

If I had a choice to say, I'd say the one thing that's missing from my life is good health. If I had it, I could get off Medicaid, get a job, start making money, be able to travel around a bit more, get a place of my own, work out, and do a whole host of things. Everything really stems from that so I'll say that's the first and foremost thing that's missing.
Well of yr list there's one thing you can do: work out. That's the one thing you won't need any money or travel or anything for..

Well of yr list there's one thing you can do: work out. That's the one thing you won't need any money or travel or anything for..

There are impediments. I can't lift anything above 20lbs and I can't bend over and I'm anemic. I am walking a bit though.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Money. My husband has been is school full time for three years. That's a long time for two to live on my relatively modest teacher's salary. The last few months have been particularly difficult. He will be finishing up a very useful Master's degree in May, so things should get easier.

Good health. I have chronic Lyme disease which is fairly well-controlled but it is a constant issue and expense. Now I am beginning to suspect I may be developing ulcertive colitis. More tests. More bills. Argh.

Out of the U.S.A. It gets more tiresome by the week.

Dave

Last edited:

Despite this, I find myself happier than I've been in my entire life. It takes a great deal of effort to stay present and centered and I certainly do NOT always manage to do so. I take great joy (and frustration) from my dogs, from walking in the woods, from friends and family, and being accepting of the good things and people that come to me.

If I had a choice to say, I'd say the one thing that's missing from my life is good health.

I'd agree and say that health is one of the most important things in anyone's life - all the more so if you haven't got that luxury. Peace of mind is another one.

You've got a hell of a personality, and a great deal of wisdom, though - which is something a lot of people don't have. :biggrin1:

There are impediments. I can't lift anything above 20lbs and I can't bend over and I'm anemic. I am walking a bit though.

I'd say one step at a time - it's really frustrating when it's not possible to take the steps you'd like, but the walking sounds like it's doing you good - and you may be able to expand on that bit by bit. All the best dude. ;)

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm missing sufficient contact with social circles that provide really thoughtful and fulfilling conversation. Its not that I don't get any intellectual stimulation but I always seem to have a nagging need for more.

There are so many social situations I find myself in such as family gatherings, neighborhood parties, work luncheons where this becomes apparent. The group of guys of I usually find myself surrounded by are obsessed with team sports, NASCAR, fishing, cars, or techie minutiae. Little of this holds my interests for long.

When I try the women they are busy chatting about mindless pop celebrity culture, rehashing stories about child rearing, or complaining about their husbands. Even less of this interests me.

Pile on enough of this and it can get kinda lonely. Maybe I need to join a book club or something like that.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm missing sufficient contact with social circles that provide really thoughtful and fulfilling conversation. Its not that I don't get any intellectual stimulation but I always seem to have a nagging need for more.

There are so many social situations I find myself in such as family gatherings, neighborhood parties, work luncheons where this becomes apparent. The group of guys of I usually find myself surrounded by are obsessed with team sports, NASCAR, fishing, cars, or techie minutiae. Little of this holds my interests for long.

When I try the women they are busy chatting about mindless pop celebrity culture, rehashing stories about child rearing, or complaining about their husbands. Even less of this interests me.

Pile on enough of this and it can get kinda lonely. Maybe I need to join a book club or something like that.

Book Club is a good start. I belong to one and while I enjoy the discussion of the book, during the social aspect we tend to fall back on team sports, child rearing and the cost of sending your children to private schools. I started as a volunteer at a Senior Center in my neighborhood and we had our first field trip to The Met last week it was really an amazing experience. Tomorrow we are going to make Christmas Lists and go buy X-mas cards! I'll keep you posted but I've really learned a great deal about myself and others in a short period of time.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Book Club is a good start. I belong to one and while I enjoy the discussion of the book, during the social aspect we tend to fall back on team sports, child rearing and the cost of sending your children to private schools. I started as a volunteer at a Senior Center in my neighborhood and we had our first field trip to The Met last week it was really an amazing experience. Tomorrow we are going to make Christmas Lists and go buy X-mas cards! I'll keep you posted but I've really learned a great deal about myself and others in a short period of time.

Gosh, now I feel like Al Bundy, by comparison. :redface:

Sounds like good stuff, NY.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual

You remind me of me. :smile:

Media
To continue living what I love and to also continue learning, developing and growing into what that truly means.
Following my bliss.
Learing to trust that life will always nudge me towards my highest good.
Letting go of things that, in the long run in life, do not matter one bit.
Being comfortable with uncertainty and happy with the fact that I chose to be brave in facing it and not running away from it.

A few good people, at the end of the day, I can call "friend".
Continue avoiding pissing contests and never, never, never give up.

Why? Because these things place me in the neighborhood of good things. Happiness being in that particular "hood".

Last edited:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
To continue living what I love and to also continue learning, developing and growing into what that truly means.
Following my bliss.
Learing to trust that life will always nudge me towards my highest good.
Letting go of things that, in the long run in life, do not matter one bit.
Being comfortable with uncertainty and happy with the fact that I chose to be brave in facing it and not running away from it.

A few good people, at the end of the day, I can call "friend".
Continue avoiding pissing contests and never, never, never give up.

Why? Because these things place me in the neighborhood of good things. Happiness being in that particular "hood".

It might help if u didn't play games with peoples heads....Just sayin....