What's the point of your existence?

CPearl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
On a lighter note I have come to believe my purpose in life is to prepare men for marraige.

You are funny as hell. Maybe your purpose in this world is to bring a little levity into this bleak-ass world.

Heres one: A handsome co-worker of mine and I had been flirting for months - but nothing ever came of it. About a year after he left the job he called me and asked me to sleep with him. He said he just had to sleep with me before he got married to his girlfriend! 'What does your girlfriend say about that?' I asked. 'Oh, she's cool with it - she's wants me act out the fantasy, get it out of my system before we get married.' He said I was that girl - the hot t-girl a guy slept with before he got married and settled down. I was horrified! 'I am not that girl - I want my own damn husband!'

I hung up on his arrogant ass.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
To love men deeply (no pun intented) until the day I evolve from this plane of existence. And believe me...it is hard (no pun intended here either.). (Oh, and to amuse others while doing so.) To be God's entertainment and humor goodie bag.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So... if I find a guy, can I send him your way to get prepped? :tongue:
You may as well, everybody else does. Hell! Even my few cyber-relationships have ended that way!

You are funny as hell. Maybe your purpose in this world is to bring a little levity into this bleak-ass world. I was housemates with a woman who was naturally intense, often sullen and as I later found out very depressed. One night she looked at me in my Eyeore Dr. Dentons and burst out laughing. She said, that God must have sent me to be her housemate to add whimsy to her life. She was 52 years old and had never had that before.
Heres one: A handsome co-worker of mine and I had been flirting for months - but nothing ever came of it. About a year after he left the job he called me and asked me to sleep with him. He said he just had to sleep with me before he got married to his girlfriend! 'What does your girlfriend say about that?' I asked. 'Oh, she's cool with it - she's wants me act out the fantasy, get it out of my system before we get married.' He said I was that girl - the hot t-girl a guy slept with before he got married and settled down. I was horrified! 'I am not that girl - I want my own damn husband!' Me Too! I hung up on his arrogant ass. That is what my aunt Louise would call more nerve than a brass assed monkey!

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
I used to wonder about things like that. Sometime in my late teens, I stopped. And also stopped wondering about what happens when we die, what happened before the universe existed, and so on. Perhaps this has something to do with my finding atheism around the same time. When I stopped caring what the answers to those questions were, I stopped holding the vague belief in the answer that everyone seems to make up for that type of question.

Interesting idea, Rob. Personally, I find that taking a moment to fantasize about things that are unknown to me, is actually part of the fun.

I guess I'm not sure why there has to be a reason for someone or something to be as it is. There are an (effectively) infinite number of living things in the world, and it's implausible that every one of them serves some sort of specific purpose. Other than the general purpose of being either breeding stock or food for something else, I guess.

Well, I don't think that there has to be a reason for anything, Rob. I just like the idea that life isn't just a series of random events, people interacting with people for random reasons. Having an understanding that maybe you are the person who could solve world hunger, or destroy violence, end wars.... yes, it comes off as a bit of a superhero complex and it is a rather romantic idea... but I dunno. It just gives those who are "lost" the chance to discover something.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Well, I don't think that there has to be a reason for anything, Rob. I just like the idea that life isn't just a series of random events, people interacting with people for random reasons.

You say "random", I say "free will". I guess it's a matter of opinion or perspective. I don't think things are random, and I'm not saying one can't or shouldn't do things than one feels are important, or would add meaning to one's life. I'm just saying it's equally acceptable to go against the grain, do as one pleases and fuck the consequences. :biggrin1:

Having an understanding that maybe you are the person who could solve world hunger, or destroy violence, end wars.... yes, it comes off as a bit of a superhero complex and it is a rather romantic idea... but I dunno. It just gives those who are "lost" the chance to discover something.

Very well. I think I am here to irritate and confound you. :tongue: :biggrin1: :wink:

Gustavovolvo

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Do you ever wonder why you are alive and interacting with people?

Do you ever find yourself pondering during a quiet moment at the office? Thinking, " I wonder why I am here. What is the reason for my being in existence?"

I was thinking about this earlier today and came to this conclusion. I am here to make a difference in someone's life. I don't know if it is a child, a teenager, or an adult... but I have decided that is my purpose.

People always say things like, "You are just here to piss me off" or "I think you were put here so I could love you." I'm just curious to see if anyone else has ever thought of this.

Maybe the thread will work, maybe it will flop. Who knows?
I attempt to not think too much about it all. A few years ago I met someone and we formed a friendship. I never understood it since they were different in thinking from people I usually stayed by. Then I got very sick and during the time I had that person calling my sister. Since then my sister has gotten a new close friend and my connection to the person is much less. I think I was supposed to connect the two of them for some reason. I think everything we do is meant to do something and connect people together. It's most likely better not to think too much about it.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
From my perspective their isn't point in existence . You accidentally exist and then you die . That's it . Wow that sounds pretty harsh ?
I can see how even some intelligent people subscribe to some religion but I can't buy any false consolation.

B_bi_mmf

Expert Member
Media
From my perspective their isn't point in existence . You accidentally exist and then you die . That's it . Wow that sounds pretty harsh ?
I can see how even some intelligent people subscribe to some religion but I can't buy any false consolation.

I don't view your statement as harsh -- just accurate and not sugar-coated.

The human condition is what it is, and I find it sad that so many people find it necessary to grasp onto the most preposterous made-up stuff in order to convince themselves that they are part of some grand design.

B_cloverboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think there probably is a point out there and that we can't really know for sure what it is, if that makes sense. I refuse to believe that existence is pointless, even if humans arrived on this earth completely by random chance, that does not make it pointless, that simply makes us lucky to be here.

I consider the point of life to be learning in general, and then perhaps acting on your knowledge. As a species, and as individuals we are constantly amassing new information and ideologies as we grow, and we apply them to how we live. Therefore I think this is the point of life, learning and progressing. These learned skills shine best when used for altruistic purposes, as a species we only got this far by working together an helping each other, and to progress we must continue on this path.

In summation, I find a part of the point to be learning, living what we learn, and being altruistic.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Personally, I think we're a cosmic joke that happened by a bunch of random events.

Astrate

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Personally, I think we're a cosmic joke that happened by a bunch of random events.
That's about it.

We're just biology. Our biological purpose is to pass on our genes, -by having offspring and maximising their chance of having successful offspring.

Any other purpose is man-made, which can include the decision that there is no point in having offspring.

I like to feel good about myself, which is not so much a purpose but an urge, which I can fulfill through looking after my family, learning, and being of worth to others. Plenty of sex and a reasonable amount of alcohol also helps (a lot).

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
From about the age of five or six I've had music in my head. Once I was old enough to start pondering life's more profound questions (such as this one), I became convinced I was put here deliver my music to this world.
I've also always been convinced I was destined to make some very large-dicked fellow extremely happy in life. :biggrin1:

Unfortunately I've yet to find a way to make either of these goals a reality...
Well - in the words of the immortal Scarlett O'Hara - "Tomorrow is another day!"

AquaEyes11010

Expert Member
Media
New Brunswick (New Jersey, United States)
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am an atheist, so I don't believe I was placed here by anyone, but I do believe in having one's own purpose for life. I believe that life should be enjoyed for oneself, and if at the same time one can bring a maximum of happiness/pleasure with a minimum of sadness/pain to others (human or not), then one's existence can be said to have been a benefit to all.
:)