What's the Smallest Apartment You've even been in?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The first apartment that I rented was a tiny one room studio. Actually it was a bedroom (in what was once a one bedroom apartment) plus a tiny bathroom with a stand up shower. The whole thing must have been less than 175 square feet. The oven/range and kitchen sink were next to the entrance and the fridge was outside of the bathroom. I later moved to a one bedroom apartment in that same building, about 460 square feet.

I had looked at a studio in a nicer part of town, but the deal was off when it didn't include a fridge. When I moved to Florida I saw something smaller than my original tiny studio, but it had a separate kitchen area, it was attached to someone's home.

I've been in two cute small apartments before. They were smaller than my 1 bedroom so they must have been about 350 square feet or less.

The one bedroom apartment that I have now is about 525 square feet, but it is laid out nicely with two large closets so I have no clutter and it seems much bigger.

I was checking this out and got inspired to make this thread.
http://contests.apartmenttherapy.com/2009/small-cool/main/category/tiny

Last edited:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No I live in an old sro. I don't even have a closet! I win!

If you care to answer...How many square feet is it? Do you have a bathroom or do you share? do you have a kitchen area? How much $$$ is the rent? :biggrin1:

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you care to answer...How many square feet is it? Do you have a bathroom or do you share? do you have a kitchen area? How much $$$ is the rent? :biggrin1:

I think my place is like 550 sq ft. aND IT'S A eat in kitchen to small but I have no closets. I don't shre right now. And i'm not gonna post my rent.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wow I thought I lived in a small apartment 800 square feet, a walk in closet in the foyer, a utility closet and two closets in the bedroom!
My house in you count the pool area is 2000 square feet, it feels like a mansion copared to the apartment!

Attachments

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In 1980 I lived in a SRO on Marlborough St in Boston. My first room was a former maid's room; it had no closet and no kitchen, and two floors of roomers shared a single bathroom (which was a horror). That room was about 8 x 10 and cost me $25 per week.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have been in MANY apartments smaller than mine and I don't think mine is all that small for NYC. There's even a store now that sells tiny/small things for small apartment living.

You should measure it, if you have some string and a ruler that is all you need. If it's square it is easier to measure. 20 feet long X 25 feet wide will be 500 square feet. You can also guesstimate. Your outstretched arms are approximately equal to your height.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
smallest I've been in was one of my favorite ex-FB's

couldn't estimate the square footage, but I'd say it was about the size of a walk-in closet

he had a window air conditioner, right next to his bed

ah, the memories of what went on that bed! ...

StormyB

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The one i'm in now, because it's my first apartment (I just left the nest) lol It's pretty roomy for an apartment and I have a pretty good view "top floor" just lots of friggen stairs ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
MICHAEL WOLF | PHOTOGRAPHY | HONGKONG

Check out these 10X10 Rooms in China, no windows, they look more like storage units.

That's plenty large enough for some people, for a while, if they do little else than sleep there, and perhaps procreate children, if they are married. It's not people, or children, that require more space, but all our STUFF we like to accumulate.

Families can obviously be raised in such a space, but then, as it still is in much of the world:

[SIZE=+1]S Africa - Children As Young As 5 Have Sex In School

... In Africa, children many times grow up sleeping in the same room as their parents and they actually see their parents having sex. The Western mind might be shocked by this, but that's the way Africa is. When a whole family sleep together in a hut, the parents have sex while the kids are there. Black children in Africa know about sex at an amazingly early age because they are around when it happens. -- Jan ...
[/SIZE]​
I think this is understandable and acceptable, since the duty to spread human life trumps the privacy concern, in situations of large families having to live in small places, due to poor economics. First they are along, and then people continue to have sex with their baby present, then more come, and children get older.

I think I would like a bit more space, as I have too much STUFF. Lots of books and magazines. And I would love to have a large "unplanned" family, as I don't believe humans were designed to use any means of "birth control" at all.

My old 1-bedroom apartment was 520 square feet, and a similar unit had a family from India, with mother and father and 2 babies and 2 cribs in their living room. They moved out to move to a bigger place, although I told them something about I believe in having big families, no matter whether one's home is "big enough" for so many or not. A couple of friend in a similar unit, had 2 bedrooms. One in the bedroom, the other as over half of the living room. And there I heard a neighbor having sex through the wall. Understandable, never bothered them about it. Just the natural music of nature, or natural enjoyable sounds of the "huge" human race naturally growing huger.

I see some of those pictures have children in them. Hmmm. I suspect those children know how babies are made, living in such a cramped space.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I live in a studio apartment now, and it's the smallest place I have ever lived in on my own. It measures about 400 square feet. There's a very small kitchen space with barely any counter room. However, I get a huge clothing closet and a sizeable secondary closet with plenty of storage space. I loaded up my car and drove cross-country to get here, and I ended up ditching almost all of my stuff -- sold what I could, gave the rest to mom. I don't have much furniture in here. I downgraded to a twin bed. I have a small desk for my laptop, a couple folding chairs, and an entertainment center against one wall.

Rent is quite cheap especially considering how close it is to the university. I don't have any plans to move. As money allows, I might consider adding more furniture to accommodate guests. I guess having to haul crap around every year while I was in Lexington means that I don't miss furniture all that much.

There was a London trend for microflats. Not sure if the economic downturn has curtailed this, but here's a lovely space measuring a mere 62 square feet. It used, literally, to be a cupboard. The living space, if you can call it that, is 7' 6" x 3' 4".

It has a shower, kitchenette, and a sleeping loft. In theory, it's enough to live in and possibly even husband a small houseplant.

Rent is (or was) £135 a week (that's US $219 a week). Rather reasonable for a Notting Hill address.