What's the strangest insect you've seen?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_crackoff, Aug 9, 2010.

1. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

I've just seen about 7 pink - yes pink - grasshoppers in my garden. They were next to a straw, a fluorescent green, & a black one.

This is bloody new, & very odd.

I once had an 8 inch cockroach jump on me too - & it didn't die when I stamped on it, & I also have some bizarre giant white spiders in my potato patch.

And no, I've had no LSD man!

2. bigboy9239

Gold Member

Albums:
    a Mole cricket on a loading dock in 1978.......I had never seen one before...it was sort of strange looking.

3. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I looked on YouTube a few months ago for "Weird Creature" - some of the results were honestly nightmare inducing. I'm too chicken to search again and post some of the results.

4. luka82

Gold Member

I have seen a scorpion, well it`s not an insect, but it gave me some nightmares. It was in Montenegro on a nudistic beach. It was sooooooo small, I thought it was just a cockroach.

5. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ready to throw up? The worst I have seen was on YouTube and it was a botfly.... watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqV1MCDLcMM

IRL the weirdest thing is a giant green catepillar that was bigger than my finger. It was eating my tomatoes and it was really gross and creepy.

#5 HiddenLacey, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
  6. witch

witch Member

Jerusalem cricket

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Walking sticks are just too bizarre; I saw one in a garden when I a kid.

You'd think here in Florida I'd see stranger things than that, but here it's just (vast) quantity over (bizarre) quality. But one time, on our way from FtL to Orlando to work a conference, my boss, his partner and I had a tire blow out on the FL Turnpike about 25 miles south of Orlando in the middle of nowhere. Being the end of September, it was season for what are called "love bugs": disgusting black bits of nasty that entwine themselves together and fly in immense swarms. We pulled over, opened the windows and shut off the engine.

By the time roadside assistance came, the rented SUV was filled like a horror movie with these vile creatures. I must have killed and swept away hundreds of them, and once we got started again, they began crawling through the window openings (even though the windows were shut) leading inside the vehicle, through the AC, etc.

I needed a good shower at the hotel before I stopped swatting and scratching, convinced that they were crawling all over me. Ugh ugh ugh!

8. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    ROFLMAO, seriously Bbucko I have this picture of you swatting bugs in my mind:tongue:

9. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

I was bitten on my face by a brown recluse spider.

10. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    I need to stop speed reading post titles!

11. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was exactly like some very gay horror movie :cool:

You're lucky to have survived and not been disfigured: those things can be lethal.

12. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

I had a similar experience in a bedit I temporarily rented whilst waiting to move into my first house.

It had 25 feet of various Bay/Gabled windows at the front, with the landlady's thin pale curtains covering them.

It was Summer, & I was returning at 5PM from crashing at a mate's pad, after a night out, & I opened the door on this hot sunny day.

And the room was black! I couldn't work out for a few seconds what was wrong, because I truly did not want to believe it, but I soon realized that every inch of those motherf****** curtains was densley covered in bluebottles.

I fought to open the windows as those bastards swarmed about me, & threw caution to the wind, found my deodorant sprays, & started flamethrowing left, right & centre.

Most did not want to leave. I was squashing, torching & hitting them for 2 hours! I looked for any larvae, & found nothing.

That night, I stayed at my mate's again, & returned home to find, EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

Two more hours of buzzing & blood - singed net curtains, burns to myself, & more red stains than I could possibly hope to remove.

I still wonder if I'd been targetted for a biblical plague, whether the guy below me had died, or whether the highly aggressive Irish sailor had summoned the devil, but the next day, I f*cked off & just did a runner!:biggrin1:

The only beneficial thing from the experience was that I realized: we each have some fears & nightmares about things or situations, but you'd be surprised at how well you'd cope if it actually happened, because it's no longer an ephemeral threat, but a reality that can be dealt with.

13. ghb69

Gold Member

Albums:
    I really have no idea what it was, but it just crawled up the wall behind you.

14. TaigaStar

Gold Member

Albums:
    I once saw a spider about the size of a nickel, it was blue and black with white polka dots. I killed it before it had the chance to move. Never seen one since.

15. petergroot

Gold Member

Albums:
    OK I appreciate one gets horrendous looking insects, but at the end of the day, they are here and have been here long before the mammals, are well suited for survival, finely tuned by evolution to fit their niche, and are absolutely essential for life on earth. Of course I have what approaches a phobia about grasshoopers[the big bastards that swarms here in Africa, not the cute litlle ones in the cartoons] so I steer clear of them.
    Strangest looking? Stick insect in Madagascar.
    Most scary? Scalopanders[huge centipedes, higly poisonous] Madagascar.
    Most common scary bastards? HUGE TROPICAL COCKROACHES[originally from North America, now common all over the planet, ].
    Most Beutifull? Gaint dragonflies, metallic colours, I saw them Northern Namibia, suppose one gets them all over.

Draft saved Draft deleted