What's up with guys wearing underwear to the showers at the gym?

D_dwerffwe

Experimental Member
Media
I was visiting NYC and went to NYSC gym in Manhattan. I haver never seen so many guys walk to the showers in boxers/boxer briefs to then take them off, shower and cover up with a towel- walking back to the lockers to change with underwear in hand. It seemed strange to me. Why do guys do this?
My thought would be if you are shy then walk to the showers with a towel wrapped around you- right? Why go to the showers to take of your underwear in 30 seconds. The showers there are individual with curtains so it's not like others can see them shower. Is this a east coast thing?
Help me out guys!

S

SirConcis

I have seen this behaviour in montreal canada as well. Guys going out of their way to cover themselves, going as far in front of their locker to keep the towel on while trying to put on their underwear under the towel.

Perhaps the younger generation was never told that it is perfectly OK and not a sign of homosexuality to undress in locker room.

Perhaps there needs to be signs posted with a pictogram of a towel around a waist , with the red circle and red slash over it :)

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
Reason?

Fear? Homophobia? Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

In a public shower I would think this behavior to be idiotic and strange. I wonder if this is the new trend in a High School or YMCA public Gym Shower as well? In HS we were told what was acceptable and this behavior would not have been. I would ignore it, but it would make a negative impression on me if I were to witness such behavior.

D_dwerffwe

Experimental Member
Media
I ask because I didn't realize how shy men were or ashamed. It baffles me in grown adult men. This is a site about penis for gods sake - of course I notice. Why are you reading this then?

Tense0000

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Not to change the subject a little but I agree with you 8uncutguy. I would get naked anywhere and its dumb in a public locker room. But at home, I do find it a slight fetish when it is foreplay in the shower with your underwear on. I know, it is strange but I have done it a few times and its hot to me.

Mikey35

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Insecurity. Plain and simple. Just don't wanna be seen naked. Not everyone is self confident, its a shame but its true.

B_R_I_E_F

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I was a fat kid growing up. Ashamed of my body. Was one of "those guys" who would leave my underwear on until the very last possible second until I got all the way to the shower.

Wasn't until I shed the weight learned how to sculpt my body, eat right and went the opposite extreeme to being a locker room show off. I can tell you there is great power in feeling good about your body and not only not shy about being naked, but proud of the skin I live in. Confidence comes from within.

I completely understand the shy and respect the modest. Just enjoy the freedom of being in the locker room and be comfortable with who you are.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The classic example for me is a young guy who works out at my gym, amazing body- this guy works out HARD... wears a jock, does teh same cover up- this guy will slide boxers underneath his towel, them drop towel and rearrange- he is so hung that 9 times out of 10 his hangs out from under the boxers. Then wears over fitting clothing...

Yet I notice men of my age ranger/generation much more relaxed about being unclothed/nude- weather they be 'hung' or 'not'- I agree I think its about body acceptance.

search for this thread- this is a much discussed (and just as baffling) thread

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
I agree with this.

Why does it matter? The shower is for taking a shower. Not checking other guys out.

You must be kidding. That's exactly what showers are for.

The problem here is not a new one. We've all seen the younger generation (49 here) completely pussy out over locker room nudity. Who knows why? In an era where sex is rampant in the media, why guys should be shy about being nude in the locker room is fuckin beyond me.
I suppose part of it is simply small-dick fear, but probably it's fear that if they are naked some guy will put the moves on em. I can understand that fear, if you're not into guys. But I can't understand not being into guys!
Seriously, tho, even if you're 100% straight ( whatever THAT means), it's good for a man's psyche to bond with other nude men. Period. We're a fucked up society: kids don't shower in open showers, they can't be nude together, and they don't wear jockstraps. It's the beginning of the end!

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
Not to change the subject a little but I agree with you 8uncutguy. I would get naked anywhere and its dumb in a public locker room. But at home, I do find it a slight fetish when it is foreplay in the shower with your underwear on. I know, it is strange but I have done it a few times and its hot to me.

Did you mean "I WOULDN'T " get naked anywhere and it's dumb in a public locker room? Otherwise your comment doesn't make sense.

Why is it dumb?

SparkyNYC

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was visiting NYC and went to NYSC gym in Manhattan. I haver never seen so many guys walk to the showers in boxers/boxer briefs to then take them off, shower and cover up with a towel- walking back to the lockers to change with underwear in hand. It seemed strange to me. Why do guys do this?
My thought would be if you are shy then walk to the showers with a towel wrapped around you- right? Why go to the showers to take of your underwear in 30 seconds. The showers there are individual with curtains so it's not like others can see them shower. Is this a east coast thing?
Help me out guys!

I think those would be the (few) str8 guys at NYSC......FYI, NYSC stands for NY Sex Club, all hell breaks loose in the showers/sauna, can't tell u how many times random old guys just grabbed my crotch in the steamroom, so I can see why some guys wanna make it as clear as possible that they r not up or it.

JMMuscle

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Maybe they don't want some idiot with a camera phone or other recording device caputring their every move. I've totally stopped changing at the gym because of that and I'm not shy. Some idiot slid under the shower stall with his phone to try to snap my photo while I was showering....a swift heal to his face left him with a black eye that lasted for weeks.

JMMuscle

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think those would be the (few) str8 guys at NYSC......FYI, NYSC stands for NY Sex Club, all hell breaks loose in the showers/sauna, can't tell u how many times random old guys just grabbed my crotch in the steamroom, so I can see why some guys wanna make it as clear as possible that they r not up or it.
Ah, the good old days working out in NYC.....can I tell you stories....and it wasn't only the old guys that were groping.....mmmm....mmmmm....mmmmm.

S

SirConcis

Re: younger guys shy.

That doesn't fly with me. When our generation was younger, we were just as concerned about whether our body/dicks were "on par" with that of our peers. Yet, you never saw someone go thorugh great lengths to hide their dick to the shower (or even take shower with underwear still on, as is happening now).

At school, if some guy did that, he would be ridiculed for being affraid to undress.

Something has definitely changed with the younger generation.

And from the logistics point of view, I can't understand guys bringing underwear to shower room where it will get wet, or worse, taking shower in their underwear. What do they do afterwards ? Put pants on over the wet underwear ?

Or are there very poor students who figure they can wash their underwear in the shower and greatly reduce the number of times they have to go to a laundromat to wash their clothes ?