What's up with the pretentious names?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Track, Bristol, Willow, Piper, Trig

Willow is not too odd, but Willow and Piper are both TV witches.

The other 3 names sound like they were made up.

TRIG
What are trisomies?

The term "trisomy" is used to describe the presence of three chromosomes, rather than the usual pair of chromosomes. For example, if a baby is born with three #21 chromosomes, rather than the usual pair, the baby would be said to have "trisomy 21." Trisomy 21 is also known as Down syndrome. Other examples of trisomy include trisomy 18 and trisomy 13. Again, trisomy 18 or trisomy 13 simply means there are three copies of the #18 chromosome (or of the #13 chromosome) present in each cell of the body, rather than the usual pair.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
liberal at work...with nothing better to think of...YOU ARE SAD EXAMPLE.

Liberals and Hippies and some minorities usually choose odd names for their kids, maybe Palin is a closet liberal. Her daughter already rebels against abstinence.

B_Jaunet

Just Browsing
Media
I had the same reaction mem.

There not so much pretentious to me as they are just plain ODD.

Perhaps she thought she was being "back woodsy" :rolleyes:

"Willow"?

That ought to be Sarah's name since she's going to bend under the upcoming scrutiny.

Sarah Heath Palin was born, I believe, in Oklahoma. She's just geographically relocated her middle American Bible belt roots to Alaska. The mere nomination of this woman will strike a blow to set women's rights back two generations easily.

Oh the Repugs are so au courant! They're nominating a woman for Veep. Amazingly they were able to locate one of the few who stands for a Patriarchal society in every possibly way. She's a tool of "the Man".

If I were her daughter I'd rebel too... but the fact that Levi Johnston's going to be at the RNC is in UTTERLY poor taste. Talk about parading your mistakes in public!:eek:

D

deleted3782

From the Daily News

Bristol. Piper. Track. Willow. Trig.

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has bestowed unusual names on her five children - but they're full of personal meaning.

A dedicated runner, she named her older son Track because he was born during that sport's season 18 years ago.

Her youngest is 4-month-old Trig Paxson, whose first name is Norse for "true" or "strength" and whose middle name comes from one of his mother's favorite spots in Alaska.

Her three daughters are Bristol, 17, Willow, 14, and Piper, 7.

Palin said the eldest girl was named after Bristol Bay, where the family fishes.
She hasn't explained the other girls' names, but there's a town in Alaska called Willow and Piper brings to mind the Piper Super Cub, a bush plane popular in her state.
Experts said the offbeat names suggest Palin is an outside-the-box thinker who desperately wants to give her kids an edge.

"A lot of times when parents choose unusual names they're looking to make their children stand out above the crowd," said Albert Mehrabian, a professor emeritus of psychology at UCLA and author of the book "The Baby Name Report Card."
Mehrabian said the selection of Track and Trig shows that Palin wants her boys to grow up to be full of machismo.

"Short names like these are given by people who want their kids to be masculine," Mehrabian said. "She's athletic, she's coached kids, so maybe that's part of her value system."

Willow is an earthy, feminine name, while Piper is more adventurous, the experts said. Bristol is in line with a modern tradition of naming people after places.

Together, the five names stunned one maven.

"In my 20 years in the field and after writing nine baby-name books, I gotta say [she] stumped the master," said Pamela Satran, co-author of the book "The Baby Name Bible.

"I've never heard of those."

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Those remind me of the names of the children of Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel in The Simpsons: "Tiffany, Heather, Cody, Dylan, Dermot, Jordan, Taylor, Brittany, Wesley, Rumer, Scout, Cassidy, Zoe, Chloe, Max, Hunter, Kendall, Caitlin, Noah, Sasha, Morgan, Kyra, Ian, Lauren, Q-bert, Phil. . . ."

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's ok to give babies original names but meaningless names?

Bristol - City in England (means 'the site of the bridge')

Trig and Track do not even figure as names, although they are very similar to Tarek, an arabic masculine name. There's also Trygg (scandinavian) which means true, faithful.

Willow - a tree or Buffy's BFF

Piper - Piper? Piper??? - There's the piper: fruit, the piper: flute player, the piper: Charmed, there's also The Pied Piper of Hamelin...:confused:

Anyways....

Edit:
Ok I hadn't read Ex's post. Still odd to me.

Last edited:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Those remind me of the names of the children of Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel in The Simpsons: "Tiffany, Heather, Cody, Dylan, Dermot, Jordan, Taylor, Brittany, Wesley, Rumer, Scout, Cassidy, Zoe, Chloe, Max, Hunter, Kendall, Caitlin, Noah, Sasha, Morgan, Kyra, Ian, Lauren, Q-bert, Phil. . . ."

LOL :biggrin1:

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
It's ok to give babies original names but meaningless names?

Bristol - City in England (means 'the site of the bridge')

Trig and Track do not even figure as names, although they are very similar to Tarek, an arabic masculine name. There's also Trygg (scandinavian) which means true, faithful.

Willow - a tree or Buffy's BFF

Piper - Piper? Piper??? - There's the piper: fruit, the piper: flute player, the piper: Charmed, there's also The Pied Piper of Hamelin...:confused:

Anyways....

close - but see Ex's post.

Bristol! Hmmmm - I hope she never goes to England.. Bristol cities... :boobies: :pat:

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yeah, I read it right after posting. It still doesn't make sense. It's like a French calling Eiffel Louvre their son because it is representative of where they're born.

This is really bizarre.

close - but see Ex's post.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think she got knocked up on a running Track, under a Willow tree, after drinking Bristol Irish Cream, after a Sand Piper flew by and she threw a Trigonometry book at it.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Since we're now going to ridicule the woman's children's names, of all things, which of the following strikes anyone as "odd"?

To wit:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Lyndon Baines Johnson

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter

William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton

Barack Hussein "Barry" Obama :eek:

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think she got knocked up on a running Track, under a Willow tree, after drinking Bristol Irish Cream, after a Sand Piper flew by and she threw a Trigonometry book at it.

Wow, that was convenient!

Inspiration, Inspiration, you never know in which wretched way it will manifest. Sometimes it happens to be funny baby names.

B_Jaunet

Just Browsing
Media
Since we're now going to ridicule the woman's children's names, of all things, which of the following strikes anyone as "odd"?

Not in the least odd.

To wit:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt (Franklin and Delano were family surnames)

John Fitzgerald Kennedy (ditto Fitzgerald)

Lyndon Baines Johnson (ditto Baines)

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter (Earl though ugly is a perfectly legit first name)

William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton (another middle name surname)

His father was a Muslim. He was named for him. The first name "Hussein" is as common to our Muslim friends as "John" is to the Christian. :rolleyes:

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
His father was a Muslim. He was named for him. The first name "Hussein" is as common to our Muslim friends as "John" is to the Christian. :rolleyes:
The purpose wasn't to re-incite the "he's a Muslim" thing, although I'm not surprised in the least that you jumped on it.

I still contend that, if elected, the name Barack Hussein Obama will look mighty ODD in the annals of the U.S. presidency. Suppress the Hussein if you must... it's still ODD.

Even Michelle Obama admitted to wondering "Who names their kid Barack Obama?".

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The purpose wasn't to re-incite the "he's a Muslim" thing, although I'm not surprised in the least that you jumped on it.

I still contend that, if elected, the name Barack Hussein Obama will look mighty ODD in the annals of the U.S. presidency. Suppress the Hussein if you must... it's still ODD.

Even Michelle Obama admitted to wondering "Who names their kid Barack Obama?".

But that would be one funny-named kid. Try five!

Besides, Barack is a perfectly known arabic name. Also written Barak and it means blessing.

It's not the same as naming your child after a track and field season.

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The one I like best is Piper, named after the Palin's friendly family floatplane. Having flown both the J-3 and the wheeled version of the slightly more updated and powerful PA-18-150, I can attest that there must have been some considerable gymnastics involved to make love in that thing. Number one, it's a tandem aircraft meaning the seats are not side-by-side but fore and aft. Here is Sarah Palin (minus the eye glasses) with N8194D, their 1958 rag-wing Piper Super Cub in a Vogue magazine feature that shows feminine women can also be state Governors with the ability to shoot your balls off with a hunting rifle. :wall:

Vogue Feature Story_Sarah Palin_Altered State_Rebecca Johnson_Jonathan Becker

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

To wit:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Lyndon Baines Johnson

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter

William Jefferson "Bill" Clinton

Warren Gamaliel Harding.

Hubert Horatio Humphrey.

Rufus DeVane King. (Veep.)

Last edited: