What's with this crap with closing threads?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by odd_fish_9, Dec 11, 2007.

1. odd_fish_9

odd_fish_9 New Member

Questions don't go away just because a moderator doesn't want to hear them.

2. BigDuder

BigDuder New Member

no tallbig, no peace!

3. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

What's with this crap setting up your own website, and yet still coming here using an assumed post-ban identity, big dirigible?

That's another interesting question, of course. :rolleyes: But there never seems to be an answer forthcoming from you.

Pravda and Weekly World News... very unusual collocation, that. :rolleyes:

4. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

BugDuder, you crack me up, seriously, you put the ARRRRR in hilarious!

5. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

That was actually done for me cuz I was getting gangbanged by so many people. Never realized I had so many enemies here :eek:

6. findfirefox

Gold Member

Was tallbig really this great?

7. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Big D has him as a member over at his site; he's obviously concerned about tallbig starting to post copiously over there. Hence why he started this thread. :rolleyes:

8. odd_fish_9

odd_fish_9 New Member

Tallbig did indeed make a post or two over there, as anyone can verify. Whether he made more posts under some other name is hard to tell. Doing such isn't considered a crisis over there. But so far as I can tell he isn't a regular.

I started this thread because the lock feature is being abused again.

9. ActionBuddy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmmm... right now, all I can think of to say is: Welcome back Alex8! And perhaps all of the renegades that keep this place interesting. Including BigD.

10. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Big D, a transparent explanation of the ban was given by Pecker: direct link.

For an example of why this was a well-motivated ban, just look at a thread like the following one, in which the first three consecutive posts alone are tallbig using different aliases in an attempt to stir shit: direct link.

If one goes through any of tallbig's old threads now, one sees nothing but endless interaction between his now-banned multiple IDs, which he used endlessly to agree with himself, to bolster his previous posts under other IDs, and generally to mislead.

When a clear and transparent explanation has been given about a legitimate ban, I really don't see what is productive about your attempt to blow this incident out of proportion into a new cause for your own anti-moderator agenda here today, Big D. I'd certainly have closed the thread too, as soon as I saw you and your other previously banned cronies jumping aboard purely to stir shit under your new aliases.

11. odd_fish_9

odd_fish_9 New Member

Show a little class and address me by my name. It's not Big D.

So to get back to the question posed at top, why was the old thread locked? That would have been the ideal place for explanations. Now there are two threads about the topic. Hence my assertion that the lock function is being abused. Q.E.D.

As for that thread and its explanations or lack thereof, I composed a comment when I saw a particular message. By the time it appeared, there were a number of other posts, though none actually linking to any explanation. Obviously I hadn't seen those later messages when I wrote my post. You interpret that as evidence of an agenda. I don't think anybody really needs an anti-moderator agenda; they're doing a good job on their own. For instance, they do dumb stuff, like lock current threads. Obviously a number of members are interested in bannings, and they're not something to be coy about.

12. ruperty

ruperty Member

tallbig's gone!?!?

13. findfirefox

Gold Member

*sigh* who really cares? Its a stupid forum, why is this some huge frigging deal? Oh wait! Its not! Shocking!

Oh and welcome back Alex, I missed you terribly.

14. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Tallbig was banned for having multiple usernames. That reason was addressed in a completely different thread, however, by one of the moderators. The most recent tallbig thread you're referring to, that is now locked, had spiraled out of control. I had one, innocent question and everybody decides to jump on my ass about it. That's neither here nor there. The focus of the thread had shifted dramatically and Gillette was trying to prevent anymore personal assaults. Lord knows I would've stayed at it all night had she not :wink:

But that aside, bannings aren't really our business. The moderators are under no obligation to tell us why someone gets banned. The only person that needs to know is the one getting the ban. It shouldn't be any of our concern. Friends of tallbig, or whoever gets banned, can ask him/her outside of the site for an explanation or if you must, send a private message to one of the moderators. There's no reason to bring these things to the forums. You have access to the ToS agreement. If someone gets banned, assume they broke one of the terms. Nothing more needs to be said

15. B_4inches

B_4inches New Member

Cant you ban his IP?

16. findfirefox

Gold Member

You can always change your IP

17. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Did you stop to think that you might be one of the key reasons leading to the thread's closure? *gasp*

As a banned member using a new ID, you were seeking to manipulate a potentially highly volatile thread by posting in a provocative manner while masking your true identity. Hence you, like tallbig, were seeking to stir up shit through less than truthful and transparent means. And if shit needs stirring around here, at least let it be done truthfully and transparently. :rolleyes:

18. odd_fish_9

odd_fish_9 New Member

That attitude is certainly not universal. Nor should it be.

If you weren't here much before your official join date (ie, not a long-term lurker) you missed some discussions on this point. The strongest argument was that it's not the moderators who make a forum worth reading, it's the members. Given that, there's no reason why the moderators should call all the shots at whim. Another good argument, somewhat of an extension of the first, is that the moderation function is subject to abuse, with no checks except from higher administration levels, and the members should be concerned about that. There are other points too, but that's enough for now.

It's an interesting problem if you have any interest in online fora, not just LPSG.

19. odd_fish_9

odd_fish_9 New Member

It seems unlikely. Your manifest hostility is getting the better of your cognitive faculties. There was some piling-on going on there, but it wasn't by me. The moderatrix who closed the thread did offer a short rationale, and it doesn't support your thesis.

20. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Manifest hostility? I don't think one would accuse a dog of hostility towards the bone it was chewing on, so there's no need to attribute such emotions to me either, big dirigible. Indeed, I have recently had all my emotions surgically removed, together with my sense of humor, and my nasal hair.

As a banned member who has regularly altered his IP, you are clearly unbannable at the current time. Closing a thread in part to stop you from distorting matters with your masked true identity (and its singularly disruptive agenda) seems to me like a very efficacious interim solution prior to your being rebanned.

Draft saved Draft deleted