what's wrong with our society?

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Only in times of mass deception/stupidity is a man who speaks the truth a "radical." It's an undisputable fact: Our lifestyle is absurdly unsustainable and extremely damaging to the earth and the human population is at least 10 times over what the earth can sustainably hold. We've already reached peak oil. Man is destroying the oceans, by the end of the century less than 10% of fish supplies will be left, and we'll be lucky if we have 10% of our rainforests. The poles are melting at an alarming rate- due to mankind Thousands of species go extinct each year- due to mankind. All of this is due to our "expand, conquer, exploit, kill, consume, enslave" mentality. You can bury your head in the sand and ignore what we're saying, but don't say I didn't warn you. Just hope that I'm feeling compassionate enough to help you out when this shit comes crumbling down.

"If anyone else wants to go back 200 years in lifestyle, than have at it."

This comment shows that either you obviously do not know anything about the philosophy, you know nothing about history or both. 200 years ago man was fucking up the world (at least the white man; indigineous Americans were <sarcasm>remarkably</s> able to live in harmony with nature for millenia) just as happily as he does today, there were just fewer of us and fewer tools with which to do so.

There was a famous bet by two economists about 20-25 years ago about comidities. One claimed that we were running out of things like oil and natural gas etc. The other bet him that in 20 years we would have more. Guess who won? Get a clue, there was never a perfect time. For most of the time in human history people worried about food and water more than anything else.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Way to add to the discussion productively. Keep up the strong work.

lol. Another word junkie apparently. I suppose you would prefer I babbble on and on about how there is merit to traditional values and how so called progressive thinking which seems to think government should fix everything yet when it tries it usually just makes things worse and blah blah...

Not my style. There are viewers that new exactly what I meant without me wasting more of my nor their time than necessary.

Contrary to what some people think points are not necessarily improved upon by the number of words required to make them.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As to your second paragraph, while some societies worked less than others due to circumstances, pretty much all of them spent less than 40+ hours a week cooped up in a box doing shit they didn't want to do (like us in our "civilized" societies).

That I do not believe. What are your sources for this conclusion?
What! Nobody did stuff back then that they didn't want to do?! Maybe I build a time machine! LOL.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Amen, Rikter8!

It's all about greed. The rich, who happen to be in control politically, and the poor who work for them at their mercy. We can change it but we won't.

The spreading of this defeatest mentality is what is wrong with the America. Go out work hard, learn and make more money by providing a good and valuable service to you fellow American. You can do well too.:smile:

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There was a famous bet by two economists about 20-25 years ago about comidities. One claimed that we were running out of things like oil and natural gas etc. The other bet him that in 20 years we would have more. Guess who won? Get a clue, there was never a perfect time. For most of the time in human history people worried about food and water more than anything else.

Yep, I had this preached to me 30 years ago when I was in technical school.
The insructor stood up there and said I wouldn't be driving a fuel powred car when I got to his age...the oil would have long run out. Well, I have passed the age he was then by quite a bit. My pickup truck has more power than a Corvette did in the late '70's. 'Nuff said.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The spreading of this defeatest mentality is what is wrong with the America. Go out work hard, learn and make more money by providing a good and valuable service to you fellow American. You can do well too.:smile:

That's what I be doing for nearly 30 years.

GREED is still the problem with the whole world, not just America. Politicians are at the heart of greed. I know of no more greedy, power hungry group.

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Seems like the only thing important in this country is making plenty of money and getting rich. A really sad state of affairs!

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The poster commenting that the government can't change the face of Islam is correct. However, Muslims in this country have to live under our laws. Muslim organizations here in America may not have their own judicial system and the ability to punish Muslims as in cutting of a man's arm for certain crimes etc. All Americans are under the same judicial system and consequences whether religious or not.

Freddie some really good points in there, but I wanted add that many people do not understand that we are a free people living in a christian society.

We spend upwards of $50,000 to house prison inmates. If we would spend just a fraction of that in improving our school system, we could reduce the number of adults with major problems dramatically. We could have only 10 students per teacher in elementary. We could hire counselors to help troubled kids while in elementary and not wait until they are in their late teens and have a pattern of crime set for life.

We could provide a free college education or technical education for EVERY person in America, which would give job skills to help those in poverty. We could provide universal health coverage and childcare for parent who need it while they are working.

All of this would cost less that what our prisons are costing. We could be spending our prison dollars on educating the prisoners and helping those who are willing to find a way to fit in society as a beneficial person.

I realize we won't save them all from trouble. But I firmly believe that a majority of troubled people can be helped if only we made a a real honest to goodness effort to do so.

But until we as a society learn to respect our sacred Bill of Rights and our country is willing to fix children before they become deviates, our society is not going to get better.

I think you went a little off base. I feel for the prison population and agree that some drugs should be decriminalized but the problem with most kids that do not do well in school and or end up in jail is that they have fucked up parents. No amount of couseling or money spent on education can change that.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's what I be doing for nearly 30 years.

GREED is still the problem with the whole world, not just America. Politicians are at the heart of greed. I know of no more greedy, power hungry group.

Greed is a problem, but why pick on rich people? Politicians and lust/greed for power are more detrimental. Most "rich" people I know in the private sector are honest and very hard working.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seems like the only thing important in this country is making plenty of money and getting rich. A really sad state of affairs!

I think you should find some thing you love to do and the money will come. Most people cannot afford to do that right away, so work for the "man" save your money and then go out on your own. You will not necessarily get rich, but you will be happy.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Greed is a problem, but why pick on rich people? Politicians and lust/greed for power are more detrimental. Most "rich" people I know in the private sector are honest and very hard working.

The honest rich I have no problem with. So many of the wealthy took advantage of others in one way or another to achieve their goal. That's what I have a problem with. Certainly, the greedy politicians are the worst.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think you should find some thing you love to do and the money will come. Most people cannot afford to do that right away, so work for the "man" save your money and then go out on your own. You will not necessarily get rich, but you will be happy.

You won't necessarily be happy either. Success is a gamble and it very often won't work out regardless of what you do. Many things people would like to do aren't lucrative enough to even make a decent living at. I know many who have tried this to find out the fire is worse that the frying pan.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You won't necessarily be happy either. Success is a gamble and it very often won't work out regardless of what you do. Many things people would like to do aren't lucrative enough to even make a decent living at. I know many who have tried this to find out the fire is worse that the frying pan.

You really have to enjoy the process. If you are working at a shit job for the money only, work hard and scrimp to get to your goal. Enjoy that process. or...My dad worked at an OK job that he really did not enjoy much, but he really punched a clock, when he was done with work, he never even thought twice about it. Enjoyed himself outside of work.

I do know what you mean, everyone is not successful and sometimes you think you would like it and you do not. I at one time owned 29 rental units. I loved to fix thinks up and make them better; I learned that the people you have to deal with and they go about destroying your property and not paying made my life a nightmare. I eventually sold them, but I still flip a house once in a while - always looking.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The honest rich I have no problem with. So many of the wealthy took advantage of others in one way or another to achieve their goal. That's what I have a problem with. Certainly, the greedy politicians are the worst.

I think some people get lucky, vsome inherit and some people work the system, but I think it a copout to say that people got rich by taking advantage of others.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what's wrong with our society?
The demand for easy answers. Digging for simple solutions just makes the hole deeper.

As Mencken pointed out in The Divine Afflatus (New York Evening Mail, November 15, 1917), "Explanations exist; they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong."

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think some people get lucky, vsome inherit and some people work the system, but I think it a copout to say that people got rich by taking advantage of others.

I have no problem with the lucky, heirs, lotto winners, ect. Working the system as long as it's not crooked is okay too.

I know business owners who take advantage. They didn't do what they said they would do before the work was started. They charge for things that were never done. Then lied about. They do things that aren't needed and charge unsupecting people for them. My dad quite his job a shop manager at a Buick dealership because of crap like this. If that's not taking advantage of people, then I don't know what is.

No, not all business owners (rich or otherwise) do these things. Plenty do.
As far as I know the people I work for now don't do things like this.
I probably won't be a part of it if they ever start to.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have no problem with the lucky, heirs, lotto winners, ect. Working the system as long as it's not crooked is okay too.

I know business owners who take advantage. They didn't do what they said they would do before the work was started. They charge for things that were never done. Then lied about. They do things that aren't needed and charge unsupecting people for them. My dad quite his job a shop manager at a Buick dealership because of crap like this. If that's not taking advantage of people, then I don't know what is.

No, not all business owners (rich or otherwise) do these things. Plenty do.
As far as I know the people I work for now don't do things like this.
I probably won't be a part of it if they ever start to.

I respect your dad for leaving. If good honest workers like him left and refused to purchase from the owner, his business will suffer. Unfortunately that is not always the case.

B_All4show

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The demand for easy answers. Digging for simple solutions just makes the hole deeper.

As Mencken pointed out in The Divine Afflatus (New York Evening Mail, November 15, 1917), "Explanations exist; they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong."

Usually the answer is quite simple. It gets more complex if you try to solve the society’s problems, but on a micro level it really can be quite easy. What most people do is:

1. Buy a car they can't afford.
2. Screw up their credit.
3. Have a kid out of wedlock.
4. Go bankrupt.
5. Then ask the government for help.

Answer: Don't do 1-5 and get a job. :redface:

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Usually the answer is quite simple. It gets more complex if you try to solve the society’s problems, but on a micro level it really can be quite easy. What most people do is:

1. Buy a car they can't afford.
2. Screw up their credit.
3. Have a kid out of wedlock.
4. Go bankrupt.
5. Then ask the government for help.

Answer: Don't do 1-5 and get a job. :redface:

That's definitely the road to financial ruin.

I have paid cash for every vehicle I've ever owned.
I've never defaulted on a bill, and don't carry a balance on my credit card.
I just got it for the convenience.
I've never fathered children in or out of wedlock.
I've never filed or even considered bankruptcy.
I've never gotten government help. Other than applying for a job through the state employment service. A lot of companies go through them only, and won't even take applications directly. I've never drawn unemployment.
So, maybe I ain't so bad after all.