What's Your Dreamhouse?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
wow, that's a cool place. reminds me of a big old stone house near the lake in lake geneva, wisconsin where we stayed one summer vacation when i was a kid. my sister and i pretended it was haunted and we could hear the floors creaking everytime someone walked down the hall. but singer castle seems even better, dark island sounds like it would be haunted.
I KNOW that house! Was it called Stone Manor? With wall all the way around? Right on the lake? I lived just down the street on South Lakeshore Drive! I always imagined some Chicago gangster lived there! lol

I've had two dream houses. One was an old Bungalow style place in East Vancouver. I fully restored it and still hate myself for selling it. The next place was a rather large late fifties West Coast Modern rancher on the mountainside in West Van. It was long and low and had a fabulous view of the harbour and the city over the tree tops. The pool was on the view side and was party central for about five years. But it put me off big houses and pools. Too much to take care of.

Now, I am planning a small, open plan, stone house in the hills above Antalya. I have the land and the sketches need to be made into drawings. The view is of a beautiful small valley with some very tall and craggy mountains across on the other side. If you look left, you can see the sea. I'm going to call it "Far Away".

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This would do me just fine!

But it would have to be on the west coast of somewhere so that I could see the sunset in the sea! :smile:
hmmm. Sunburned. Sweaty. Cold beer and chips. Sand in the bed. Love it.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A Frank Lloyd Wright house filled w/Heywood-Wakefield blondewood furniture. Also all those great repro 50's kitchen appliances like Rachel Ray uses on Food Network. The walls would be tastefully covered in bow-tie shadowboxes and awesome figural chalkware. There would be beautiful tri-colored marginatas w/character along the winding staircase that runs down to the stream running under the house. No carpeting (I hate it) and great blondewood floors. Lots of windows w/barkcloth drapes that have all sorts of amorphic and atomic patterns (Melinamade.com - Resource for retro and vintage fabrics). I'd of course have to have a heated bathroom floor and all the lamps in the house have to be chalkware bullfighters w/parchment shades w/squiggles on them. No need for a microwave, I actually cook. I'd need one of those portable bars like on Bewitched (hee heee) and a faux limestone fireplace. The couches in the expansive bedroom should be Florida bamboo w/either wheat or abstract fabric. There should probably be pictures in the hall of Tab Hunter in really tight trunks! All the dishes, cups and cannisters should be Fransiscan Atomic pattern and all the cieling light shades should be three-tier, 2 tone parchment shades. All the glasses, decanters and shakers should bear the boomerang pattern.
Sorry I wish i could ne more specific. :wink:

Attachments

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Wow, F.L.Wright is a great designer, we studied about him a lot in our classes, great inspiration, especially the 'falling water' house, very American. But he also had weird ideas to design the living in the whole USA, that went a bit too far, luckily it never happend.
Le corbusier is also a great designer for his decade. He was very innovative for his time, he designed this house (http://www.freewebs.com/sofievangulik/lecorbusier_villasavoye_150.jpg) in 1928!!!! Unbelievable!

Seriously though. I'd love an old stone cottage in the Welsh hills. Or maybe a Victorian or Georgian town house - renovated and modernised but keeping the original character.

The garden at the Millard house looks great. Carmel beach house is lovely, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

I LOVE Fallingwater!!! There is a FLW house in Houston that the owner's last name was Gilliam. I think it was Frank Gilliam? Spectacular place.
Oh - here is another place I love. Lots of room, ontop of a hill with 60 acres.
Sanger Mansion a Sanger Hill luxury equestrian estate historic house considered mansion or castle B&B potential upstate colgate hamilton utica real estate near cazenovia , skaneateles, finger lakes, catskills www.SangerMansion.com

Fallingwater has some issues. Apparently it needs absurd money for maintenance. Of all of Wright's major houses, it's the one most endangered.

The Sanger Mansion reminded me immediately of Collinswood. I can picture Barnabas standing in the doorway to greet his dinner guests. The real Collinswood is actually a house famous in its own right, Lyndhurst, in Tarrytown, New York.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Fallingwater has some issues. Apparently it needs absurd money for maintenance. Of all of Wright's major houses, it's the one most endangered.

The Sanger Mansion reminded me immediately of Collinswood. I can picture Barnabas standing in the doorway to greet his dinner guests. The real Collinswood is actually a house famous in its own right, Lyndhurst, in Tarrytown, New York.
Actually the real house is in Newport R.I. but it loks diff as the front is facing the water and the back of the mansion faces the road.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Last year in February of 2008 a 4.7 earthquake hit my general area of North East Nevada, destroying the old 6th Street ghost town of Wells and wrenching about 100 homes unlivable and still in need of demolition. The place is a wreck. My two floor log home 35 miles out of town was changed from a square to a parallelogram. Oddly, it's still standing and was not condemned, but I need to disassemble it and rebuild it somewhere else. My property, known locally as The Big Chunk of Dirt Ranch, has almost a 360 degree unobstructed view (the only obstruction is the side of the mountain the cabin sits on). There are no buildings, neighbors, lights -- nothing -- for a minimum of 15 miles in any direction, and even they cannot be seen from my property. This August I hope to have a Rocio Romero prefab home in place. The "front" of the house will face the eastern slope of the mountain side and the glass back of the house will take advantage of at least a 190 degree view of nothing but the valley below of sagebrush steppe and the seemingly unending views of Nevada's basin and range. The best part is that her completed design, finished with toilets and bidets, polished concrete radiant heat floors and all electrical appliances and fixtures will come in under $125,000. The worst part is I'm dependent upon old geezer contractors for bids who think I'm crazy and insist they know better than I do what I want. It will be a challenge, but I've got the perfect property of endless nothingness to take advantage of her design. I'm currently negotiating with her on a semi-customized LVL home with a separate studio to: 1 balance the construction setting as you'd do with sculpture, and 2 have a place for guests to spend a month with their own privacy. Sort of a design-conscious studio apartment without the apartment building.

And yeah, I could easily enjoy a dignified death passing out on the deck or even inside from the master bedroom. Check out the following link:

Rocio Romero, modern design and prefab architecture

And to satisfy those who wonder what the sagebrush steppe looks like, here are two photos: first is from the deck of the first floor looking west, second is from the 35 mile highway mark outside of Wells looking east to what remains of the cabin -- that little white speck. I pretty much own everything in the photos that doesn't belong to the BLM, which is half (every other 640 acre section, like a checkerboard). So, wandering around naked night and day isn't much of an issue, except when elk or deer hunters come by trespassing, then after a couple of beers they usually end up naked too. :biggrin1:

Attachments

Last edited:

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response

i had a short job in the pittsburgh area in early 2007, finally got a chance to
see fallingwater, i'm sure the money for maintenance IS absurd, but they had just finished a major restoration and it was in excellent condition at that time.

tours are closed in the dead of winter, but i went on the first weekend
tours started back up in late winter. it was snowing and had been snowing and raining off and on for weeks. the water / waterfall was thunderous and
could be heard throughout the house. it was amazing. probably flw's
greatest residential work.

i would still myself prefer to live in the millard house in pasadena. something about the light there is pretty special. (those new lighting fixtures in the photos would have to go, however.) plus my vocation, out of necessity, is based in the l.a. area.

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i love pieterjoke's contributions. and his sense of humor in suggesting the second place.
sure Fallingwater has its issues. if it was able to be engineered now, it would be a wild success and very efficient.
i love this thread and (correct me if i'm not accurately assessing the response) it seems everyone responding are men and all of the men agree that their dream houses involve lots of land.
whatever the architectural desire of the person, it seems that land is the common theme.
its not a widely expressed opinion here to have 800 square feet in the upper east side of manhattan in a door man building.
I think people would love to have even a bit of land and a confortable house - whatever that may look like to each one.
this is a great thread.
i hope people keep posting to it.