What's Your Dreamhouse?

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I KNOW that house! Was it called Stone Manor? With wall all the way around? Right on the lake? I lived just down the street on South Lakeshore Drive! I always imagined some Chicago gangster lived there!

that's the place. it was, i believe, a private residence at the time, but would take in some guests during the summer months.
we got to stay there for about a week. my dad's family was from around there, so i guess he knew somebody. i was about 9 at the time.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i used to design these homes in my head as the perfect place to live but i realized that as long as you are near the people you love and a place where you can grow as a person the actual house matters little as any place can be made nice and comfortable. with a little imagination and work you can make a nice house but it only becomes a home if it's filled with and is about the people you love. as i get older it's the home that matters more for me than the house.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
And to satisfy those who wonder what the sagebrush steppe looks like, here are two photos: first is from the deck of the first floor looking west, second is from the 35 mile highway mark outside of Wells looking east to what remains of the cabin -- that little white speck.

I've fought fire out between Wells, Deeth, and Montello more than once. Love the area, particularly the Rubies. Northeast Nevada has its own charm for all the reasons you mention.

meegsatori

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
For me my Ultimate dream home would be something like the ones you see in that street in Desperate Housewives. I love how colourful and pretty it is and the way the houses look designed are gorgeous. In the Uk houses are more generic especially in the council areas. I live in a tower block currently on the 11th floor and can see for miles around I think it's great.
This kind of reminds me of the other week when I was chatting to a guy who asked if I rented my home, So I told him I rented from the housing association and he did'nt seem impressed. So I turned the question onto him and turns out he lives with his parents.
The way I see it, I may not have much but at least I'm out there making my own way in the world.

Anyway you guys ...... back to houses ...

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I've fought fire out between Wells, Deeth, and Montello more than once. Love the area, particularly the Rubies. Northeast Nevada has its own charm for all the reasons you mention.

Then you've probably fought range fires very close to my chunk of dirt, which keeps getting bigger the more widows in the area are anxious to get rid of adjoining sections.

I have plenty of friends who come for extended visits. Many are plain old-fashioned rednecks that come out with their wives to sit on my deck, drink my Jack Daniels (I don't drink Jack Daniels, or anything really) just to be able to see the Milky Way without the intrusion of ambient light from a city. There is none. It's pitch black except for the stars. I love the place and the only place I would consider living full-time year round in the USA except possibly in the Sonoran Desert 100 miles south west of Tucson near Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. I love deserts. And despite what everyone, and I mean EVERYONE warned me against, I generate far more electric power from solar collectors than I use -- even in the middle of winter. The system cost less that $10,000, installed, and it's more than paid for itself since 1990.

Despite what the neighboring ranchers say, I find the BLM to be a good neighbor. I don't find them sniffing around in my garage when I come home and there's no one around to tell me they think it's time I mowed my lawn, or "Why did you plant THAT color of tulips?" As if it's any of their fucking business. Neighbors tend to be more trouble than an asset for me. And then I spend almost all of my time living outside the USA in high-density cities crowded with tourists.

For those who are interested in other "dream homes" here is a list of prefab ultra modern affordable housing you can actually own. You just need a building permit and a piece of land to plant them on (and a well wouldn't hurt, either).

fablist

I like the "Espace Mobile" home, but it's only available in Australia. But the prefab list includes some rather wonderful designs. I like the LVL because of it's sculptural clean lines. And the floor plan is the same as a regular California-style ranch house, but more open.

Enoy perusing the fabprefabs. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

SensualGoth

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I love fablist stuff. I nearly bought an LV house a few years ago but that fell through when the land I wanted to use was found to be unavailable. I think the new prefab houses are just what this country needs, but what are we going to do with all the cheap McMansions that are currently littering the countryside?

i used to design these homes in my head as the perfect place to live but i realized that as long as you are near the people you love and a place where you can grow as a person the actual house matters little as any place can be made nice and comfortable. with a little imagination and work you can make a nice house but it only becomes a home if it's filled with and is about the people you love. as i get older it's the home that matters more for me than the house.

This is true, a house is not necessarily a home, yet I there is something to be said for living in a house that reflects the character of the owner. Dreamhouses are products of fantasy, unbridled by zoning or homeowner associations.

I think if you can have both spiritual happiness in your home, while living in a house that you love, then why not?

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A unique container style home
with solar panels, water filtration unit, garden area, is the type of dream home I would like to live in... It's eco friendly and made with recycled materials.. I have many ideas of my own but no $ to make them come true.

10 Cargo and Shipping Container Homes and Offices | WebUrbanist
containerbay
Crate Expectations: 12 Shipping Container Housing Ideas : TreeHugger
YouTube - Shipping Container Homes by Container City
5 Incredible Container Houses

Me too.

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My dreamhome would be somewhere along a quiet lakeshore but the house would need to be built as per plans and this is what the plans would be:

House Plan 95733 - Craftsman Home Floor Plans European House Plans

I fell in love with this houseplan the moment I came across it.

(well a person can dream )
:Thinkingof_:

WOW. I change my mind. I like this one. But with respect that this is YOUR dreamhouse. I am going back to the architect's desk with my dreamhome. Amazing taste. Externally, I love the color scheme of the bricks and the stairway.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sensual Goth:

Thanks for all the links to the container building designs. In all three of places I live on this Earth I have installed the same large, square Jacób Pijamies coffee table (owning three is a bit over doing it, but . . . ) and have a box of 200 different sized finished wooden blocks stored under each one. My Zen time is spent playing with blocks creating whatever spacial designs I happen to come up with. I previously used LEGGOS, but after a couple of years I noticed I kept building the same pyramid design -- different variations -- but always pyarmids. I still have the LEGGOS in case I have a burning need to snap together a pyramid.

The most amusing thing about the wooden boxes filled with wooden blocks is all the blocks were neatly packed, flush -- completely filling the boxes. I've never been able to replicate how to put the blocks back the way the originally arrived. But I can spend a whole day doing nothing but arranging and rearranging the wooden blocks into fantasy structures.

Very therapeutic.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I love fablist stuff. I nearly bought an LV house a few years ago but that fell through when the land I wanted to use was found to be unavailable. I think the new prefab houses are just what this country needs, but what are we going to do with all the cheap McMansions that are currently littering the countryside?

It's been a long process working with Rocio. The Elko County building codes have been the biggest hurdle. They require every new home roof be able to bear a minimum of 100 lbs per square foot of snow. Rocio's most "industrial strength" home which is able to withstand hurricane-force winds of up to 150 mph fell short at 95 lbs per square foot snow load. It was a serious deal-breaker. Plus, most of the "wise" men who work in the City and County building permit office live in prefab manufactured homes. I'm sure you've seen them; two halves of a prefab loaded on two flatbeds with modestly pitched roofs? Rocio's LVL homes all have flat roofs. There is no way in Hell those prefabs can hold a minimum of 100 lbs per square foot of snow. In their fucking dreams!. What the county building engineer didn't understand is that we never have a problem with standing snow loads because constant 30 to 60 mph winds blow everything off (and away) during the long winters.

Rocio has just verified she can up the snow load to 125 lbs (for an extra $20,000). So, it's a go ahead green light project (or so it seems) for this year. Fortunately for me, one of my twin neices married an architect with residential construction/design experience who will serve as my contractor and install a cement pad with a radiant heated floor. He's had plenty of experience finishing concrete, staining and polishing it. I just have to pay his fees to take the Nevada Contractor's License test and also pay for his license. He's already got a Ewetaw Contractor's license. Even better, he's a graduate of Rhode Island School of Design, so we're pretty much on the same page. Even though he's a nice mormon boy, he decided I was OK when he spied two Wassily Lounge Chairs (Knoll, International) slung in orange/brown horse leather in my log cabin's media room. Those same Bauhaus family of designs are common as dirt every where in Buenos Aires apartment building lobbies and commercial buildings. But I think I'm the only person who owns them in the original polished zinc (not chrome) tubing slung in orange/brown leather. And they are real (not knock down); no screws, no seams.

For me, who lives primarily in high density cities, my idea of home "is a little place on the outskirts, where we can really find some peace." It's the farm boy in me. :smile: