What's Your Favorite "All In The Family" Episode?

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Seeing the Looney Tunes thread and flipping the channels tonight inspires this new thread. ;) Tonight's episode on TVLand is where Edith gets hit on
to do a TV commercial for "Sunny Suds" while at the laundromat. Its pretty good.

What's your favorite?

zaphod

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't recall my favorite episode, but I think my favorite line was "thank God I'm an athiest", by Meathead.

If anybody starts a thread about favorite Seinfeld episodes, it would be no contest. "The Contest" was my all-time favorite.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
My favorite episode was the last one.

Hated the show and its spinoffs Maude, Gloria, The Jeffersons.

But Maude spun off Good Times which made it all worthwhile.

zaphod

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you haven't watched "All in the family", you should. It was one of the all-time great sit-coms. It broke lots of taboos, making fun of extreme red-neck right wing politics, as well as feminism, extreme left-wing politics, religion, racism, gays, just about everything that wasn't talked about in popular sit-coms before.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just last week, TV Land aired their idea of the top 10 episodes. Predictably, the episode where Archie meets Sammy Davis Jr., topped the list. The rest of the list can be found here.

Of the episodes which didn't make the list, my favorite was the episode when Archie and Edith reconciled after she learned he had kissed another woman. Really top-notch acting there, and much less yelling than in most episodes.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There were so many good episodes that it's hard to pick just one. A particularly daring one was "Edith's Crisis of Faith". This was originally aired in the days that subjects like gay-bashing weren't mentioned on television, and certainly not on a sitcom. It was disturbing and poignant. Beverly LaSalle, played by Lori Shannon, appeared in three episodes of All In The Family and was a very popular character with the show's fans. Beverly's death at the hands of homophobes upset the viewing audience: they were hoping for a gay female impersonator to beat the odds. The acting in this episode, especially by Jean Stapleton, was outstanding. That episode was nominated for an Emmy.

spl98006

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
DoubleMeatWhopper said:
Beverly LaSalle, played by Lori Shannon, appeared in three episodes of All In The Family and was a very popular character with the show's fans.

[to Archie] "My mother had a word for people like you: meathead!"

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My favorite without a doubt is the one where Sammy Davis jr comes to visit, and at the very end kisses Archie right on the cheek. It really made me laugh like crazy when a hyprocritical bigot was put in his place by a person he had very little personal preference for except his celebrity status. Of course later on in Archie Bunker's Place, Archie returned the favor to Sammy, which made it turnabout is fair play.

My favorite line from that episode; Sammy, your being Jewish, that wasn't your idea was it?"

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Forgive me, but I never really liked All in the Family, nor its British predecessor 'Til Death us do Part. Yeah, it broke taboos, but nothing beyond using words like "kike" and "nigger". The humour wasn't actually very clever, IMHO.