What's your favorite Looney Toons cartoon?

zaphod

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just rented some of the Looney Toones Golden Collection DVD's from Netflix. I really liked those early cartoons, especially the ones that used classical music and set the cartoons to it.

I can't decide my favorite among these three:
Rhapsody Rabit, where Bugs Bunny is a concert pianist, and has an encounter with a mouse in his piano.
Rabit of Seville, with Bugs and Elmer Fud, doing a parody of Barber of Seville.
What's Opera, Dock, another Bugs and Elmer one, that starts as a parody of part of Fantaisia.

I also love the Road Runner cartoons.

Anybody else have favorites?

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Anything with Bugs Bunny. The writing is so clever and humorous. It's timeless. And, when Bugs dresses in drag, it's hilarious. I have also noticed how great the music is. Pretty much all the music existed before the cartoons were made. Warner Brothers had their own library of music to select from whenever they needed to score a cartoon.
Whatta maroon.
Alba-koi-kee.
A-reeva-doi-chee.

I'm also a big fan of the Road Runner cartoons. It's amazing how such a simple premise could be endlessly repeated and still be so entertaining. You know what's going to happen as soon as Wiley Coyote opens the crate from the Acme company and starts assembling the latest Road Runner catching device that invariably backfires. Again, great music and sound effects add immeasurably to the enjoyment of the cartoon.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Three little bops is great. That's the one which sets the story of the three little pigs to Rock around the Clock.

But my favourite is the one (title escapes me) where a construction worker discovers a singing frog who will sing for no-one but him. The comic timing is perfect.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There were over a thousand of those cartoons, from 1930 to about 1969, when theatrical cartoons in general finally bit the dust. The best ones are probably "What's Opera Doc" (Chuck Jones) "One Froggy Evening" (also Jones), and "Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 th Century" (Jones again). Jones, Freleng, and McKimson, all good, were the major producers in the 1950s. Some consider the peak to be the 1940s, when the bulk of the work was by Jones, Freleng, and Clampett. I particularly like McKimson's S&M stalwarts of the 1950s, notably "It's Hummertime" and "Early to Bet". Those are the ones with the bulldog spinning the penalty wheel, to decide what he's going to do to the cat - "Happy Birthday! No, not Happy Birthday! In the name of humanity!" "Cheese Chasers" (Jones again), "Dime to Retire", both great, in that cartoon S&M way. "Porky in Wackyland" (Clampett) is considered a genuine classic from the 1940s, though on first viewing it leaves the impression of being merely weird. It was remade in color in the '50s by McKimson as "Dough for the Do-Do". Very rare is "Coal Black an' de Sebbin Dwarfs" (Clampett), a wartime blackface special which nobody has the balls to show nowadays. "You Ought to be In Pictures" is an early live action/animated mix, which Disney later claimed to introduce with "Roger Rabbit" - Daffy convinces Porky to quit Schlesinger studios and try for parts in live films. Not seen often, as it is B&W and on TV they consider that the kiss of death. Most any of the Yosemite Sams are pretty good. They were all done by Freling. He did most of the Tweety and Sylvesters, too. Early Jones Roadrunners (with "Wile E. Coyotoe, Super Genius") were good. The '60s Roadrunners by Larriva were a step downwards. The Marc Anthony series by Jones were good, if a tad cloying - a common Jones weakness.

Reactions: headbang8

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
headbang8 said:
Three little bops is great. That's the one which sets the story of the three little pigs to Rock around the Clock.

But my favourite is the one (title escapes me) where a construction worker discovers a singing frog who will sing for no-one but him. The comic timing is perfect.

"Hello, my honey.
Hello, my baby.
Hello, my rag time gal.............

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
headbang8 said:

Bugger, forgot "Three Little Bops" entirely. I even remember most of the words, as sung by Shorty Rogers. "When all of a sudden came a ray of hope - 'I could disguise myself! Boy, what a dope!'".

The frog one is "One Froggy Evening". If you had to pick one cartoon ever as the best Western civilization has produced, it might be that or maybe "A Song a Day" from Fleischer.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The Three Little Bops #1
I like to Singa, about Owl Jolsen.

I'm waiting for all the war Propaganda cartoons where
Bugs makes fun of Emperor Hirohito and Hitler to come out,
but somehow I don't think they will.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
think this conversation went on recently in a different forum. but talking about bugs is always fun.

the episode of bugs with gossamer is my favorite. "monsters are so
IN-TER-EST-ING". ends up doing his nails and hair - using curlers made of
dynamite. haha.

gossamer.jpg

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gossamer does freaking rule! i forgot that guy. he was awesome.

MsLulu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pete Puma.

Bugs: How many lumps you want with your coffee?

Pete Puma: A whoooooooooooooooooooole lotta lumps!

Bugs: (whacks him on the head with a hammer a few times to give him some lumps.)

Pete Puma: "I don't like coffeeee, it gives me a headache...."

I'm also a fan of Pepe Le Pew. Oh yes, what a lover!

zaphod

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I may purchace the Golden Collection as a gift for myself, I wish they would go back to showing a few short cartoons before the feature at the theater.. I am just old enough to remember watching the cartoons before the movie, I think they stopped in the late 60's

B_caneadea

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Foghorn Leghorn:

"BOY!
Ah say, BOY!"

The dog is sleeping in his dog house.
Foghorn Leghorn comes by, picks up a board and whacks the dog on the ass several times.

"Ah love that DOG!"