What's your favorite thing about 'conservatism'?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SilverTrain, Nov 8, 2008.

1. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Honest question.

2. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

Conservatives to me are basically lacking in compassion. I think this makes for a truly unrivaled competitive business ability.

3. Notaguru2

Gold Member

True conservatism? Or the Bush brand of conservatism? I'll assume you mean true conservatism and not necessarily the GOP platform.

My top conservative views:

1. Pro Life
    2. The idea of small government
    3. Fiscal responsibility
    4. Capitalism

As I've said before, I'm a moderate Democrat. I tend to be more conservative than I am liberal. Growing up, Sam Nunn from GA was my idol.

4. submit452

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nothing. Because it is often very culturally ignorant, Militaristic,Homophobic, Against meaningful dialogue and dissent by those who don't agree with their usually extremist viewpoint, Pro life but against birth control or any other ideas like condoms for teenagers or adoption that would be pro life other than using abortion (which to me is abhorrent,but what is more is actually is forcing women to be mothers when they would rather not) and using the military to enhance US security but in the end keeping us less safe and open to terrorism. THIS BEING SAID I BELIEVE THAT CONSERVATISM IS A GOOD PHILOSPHY BUT IN THE WRONG HANDS AND TAKEN TO EXTREMES IS QUICK TO BE MADE INTO FASCISM AND SHOULD BE CAREFULLY PRACTICED.

5. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

There are a number of things that conservatism offers our society and country...politically, militarily, economically, socially and spiritually.

From my perspective, which is in no way the 'right' perspective, just 'my' perspective:

The U.S. is the envy of most of the world. This is because of our freedom and rights...these were brought to us courtesy of our ambition, vision and independence. These are key values of conservatism.

Our place in global leadership in technology, engineering, intellectual properties, economic leadership, etc., are all fruits of our capitalist economic infrastructure. Capitalism is a crux of American conservatism.

Because of our place on the globe, we are in a position to help those that are incapable of helping themselves.

There is opportunity for anyone who seeks it and pursues it, no matter what the objective. This is the core of conservatism.

I don't think that somebody that is a true conservative is harmful or destructive to anybody or anything in our society. For that, I think that the world is a good place with conservatives in it.

6. giantsfrey

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    its name, due to its hilarious irony. there is NOTHING "conservative" about the capitalism they push

7. bignfloppy

bignfloppy Member

Umm . . . could you explain how capitalism is a bad thing?

8. B_24065

B_24065 New Member

Here's one. It built this great nation, and fixes it everytime the liberals fuck it up. And BTW, the Bush administration is NOT conservative, so dont even go there.

9. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Just as Left-wingers and stringent Democrats are not necessarily (and surprisingly rarely) liberal, Republicans are often hardly conservative in any sense beyond what appeals to their base.

The key conservative view is that of a conservative government, a government that is limited in scope and action. If one is a proponent of true liberty, the expansion of governmental intervention into our lives is the worst enemy he faces. A government that defends individual liberty is one that does not take inordinate steps to manage its citizens' lives. This is my favorite thing about conservatism, that its ideal government recognizes that people are best left to make their own decisions.

#9 Qua, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  10. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Where did you get some of that crap? I know a whole lot of conservatives who practice birth control. Many conservative orgs run homes for women to stay in, and adoption services. I find extremists on both sides to be closed minded and refuse to see the other point of view.

11. hottcjimmyv

hottcjimmyv Member

Albums:
    something to rebel against

12. giantsfrey

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    1: The US is envied by most of the world?!?! Maybe it USED to be, but nowadays, only the nondeveloped nations envy us. Have you been to Euorope or Canada??? I think we're basically an example of "what not to do with your wealth."

2: True, capitalism got us here. but as of late, we have been steadily losing our foothold on ingenuity. The engineering crown is held by the Germans (and always has been), intellectuality now belongs to Japan, and economic leadership now belongs to those nations that have found SUSTAINABLE means of energy production, and exportation of goods. America is losing its respect in engineering and education. Economically, I'm pretty sure that per capita, nations that are focusing on SUSTAINABLE methods of energy production (e.g. not oil) are leaving us behind. Oil is running out, and we're lagging far behind other nations in cornering the long-term profitable markets of sustainable powers such as wind, solar, hydrogen, et cetera. This wouldn't be TOO much of a problem, except for the fact that we import a FUCKLOAD more than we export. With this poor strategy, how can America make profit?!?!

3: Sure, we USED to be in a position to help others in need, and we went into Somalia, Afghanistan, and Iraq, and got involved in their business to "help them out." Where are we (and those other nations) now? I don't know if its right or wrong for any nation to play "world police," but I do know that its wrong for us to play "world police" when we're not even capable of helping out a nation when we do get involved. Where to next, boys, Iran? Hah!

Being "Conservative" is great. But being of the "Republican" party is not.

*Note: I am not a Liberal, or a Democrat. I happen to vote for Democrats more frequently than Republicans, but I remain unaffiliated; In 2004 I voted for Nader.

13. giantsfrey

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I like your line of thought. I am curious: how do you define "conservative"?

14. B_pinoyurge

B_pinoyurge New Member

ahmm the way you establish values for yourself

15. giantsfrey

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I didn't say capitalism is bad, but I do happen to think that capitalism is not the best economic system once the world reaches its carrying capacity for human growth. And by growth, I am referring to growth in terms of economics, as well as the biology (population).

16. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

I'm not sure that capitalism as we have it in the US expands or develops our humanity in terms of spirituality, artistic expression, knowledge and communication.

17. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I'll add what I used to like, as I see the values many identify with now as a perversion of conservatism:

A reverence for education, tolerance, individual liberty, and work ethics, similar to Protestant ideals but included secularism.

Respect for the Constitution

"Small government" and acting to reduce debt instead of just paying the notion lip service

18. trumasseur

trumasseur New Member

Albums:
    I don't like how "tight" conservatism makes so many conservative sphinxters.
    Or conservatism is about assuming narrowed control and then like most cults works hard to recruit or disavow when not agreed with.

19. uniqueusername

Maybe not directly, but the technologies created through capitalism allow us to spend very little time fulfilling our human needs and to devote the rest of our free time to more creative expression.

You can't be the lead singer of your indie band if you're working your subsistence farm for 12 hours per day.

20. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

What a fucking joke. Is this what they are preaching in colleges now? Let's see, you are 22 and you are certain that developed nations around the globe have no envy or desire for the US way of life, freedoms of expression, opportunity, education, choice, religion, speech and investment?

Ya, you nailed that one.

Please connect the dots for me...sustainable energy production...failure of capitalism...:confused:

You are purporting that those nations have reaped no benefits from US intervention? Where do you get your information?

You are a confused college kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted