What's Your Favorite Whiskey?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by simcha, Oct 19, 2007.

1. simcha

Gold Member

Right now I'm into the bourbon called Wild Turkey 101. I take it on the rocks. It's got a great nose, sweet, woodsy... And the taste has some fire at first with the woody notes, then it cascades into sweet caramels and honey notes with clover and you can taste the oak aging. The aftertaste is long and leaves you to remember sipping such a fine bourbon.

:alcoholic:

2. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, no! I do NOT like American whiskey. That sour mash flavor isn't for me. I love anything Canadian, andam developing an appreciation for Scotch.

3. agnslz

Gold Member

I don't drink, but I remember as a kid sneaking drinks from my grampa's whiskey miniatures when he was asleep. He used to drink Jack Daniel's, Wild Turkey and Heaven Hill. They were alright, I guess.:biggrin:

4. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

When I could drink before my meds came into my picture, I used to always admire Jack Daniels for it's great kick & smoothness.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Crown Royal

6. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Scotch all the way.
    Any good single malt ... Macallan's, Oban, Glenmorangie ... it's a long list.
    Not the most expensive stuff, mind.
    Nothing over $70 or $80 per bottle.
    (At the top end, 1937 Glenfiddich, for example, is finding buyers at $48,000. I don't have that money and I can't imagine even the finest dram being worth that much.)

7. frizzle

Gold Member

Southern Comfort it quite nice with a dash of lemonade. And at a usual price of 2.20 a glass, I'm not complaining.

8. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Yeah, straight So Co is great.

9. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've been a lover of single-malt Scotch for years now. My personal favorites tend to be from the Speyside distilleries (Glenfiddich is my staple), but I recently picked up a single-cask bottling of Highland Park (Orkney Island) 18-year from a local store that commissioned it. Fantastic stuff.

Some prefer it neat, some on the rocks, and other with a splash of water. My preference is to drink it over a pair of ice cubes...enough to cool it down without diluting it.

If I'm someplace that doesn't have a decent selection (how the hell Dewar's and Cutty Sark ever became popular is beyond my ken), then I'll opt for Johnnie Walker's black label. As far as blended whiskys go, it's the dog's bollocks.

10. Shelby

Gold Member

Md 20 20

11. quercusone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Maker's Mark or Knob Creek Bourbons are my favorites.I drink them on the rocks. Please don't mix bourbon with coke!!

I've been wanting to try some good Scotch so I'll go with some of the recommendations here.

12. camper joe

Gold Member

Whichever one I have on hand.

13. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

We have the same preference, and I can attest you have taste! I like Islay from the hebrides, or MacAskill (Talisker) also. Sans water, sans ice, of course. The blends, like Johnny Walker etc, are good to be laced with ice and water, but the single malts come best sans all.

14. got_lost

Gold Member

Mine's Blair Atholl.

Not a huge whiskey drinker but do like that one... straight up, no rocks or anything

15. invisibleman

Gold Member

I haven't had a drink in a looonnnnngggg time. But, when I was drinking, I did drink Southern Comfort with Pepsi.

I did have a shot of John Jameson Scotch and found that I REALLY needed to water it down with some ice. :smile: That is some strong scotch. Flavorful...but strong.

I am a Rum, Vodka, Tequila, and Liqueur drinker.

I am not a fan of Jagermeister...it reminds me of CREOMULSION for CHILDREN (A cough syrup I took when I was a kiddie :smile:). Or Sambuca.
    (I don't like the taste of licorice in that. My boss used to put three coffee beans or espresso beans in her Scotch glass of Sambuca. I tried it once and UGH!!!NAAAASSSSSSTTTYYY. Coffee and licorice do not go together.)

16. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

All the whiskeys taste the same to me, and are nowhere near my favorite beverage. I can't tell the difference between single malt or blended, nor the difference between sour mash, bourbon, or scotch. Even cognac and brandy are too whiskey-like for my liking.

For what it's worth, Southern Comfort is actually a liqueur, not a whiskey.

About the only liquor that I actually like is tequila - and it has to be a good one, like Centenario.

Otherwise, I prefer a hop-heavy ale or a dry red wine.

17. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lagavulin from Islay is my regular drink. I also drink Talisker from time to time. Lavavulin has a full rich peaty smokey aroma. Once I tried it, there was no going back! For a blended whiskey, White Horse is pretty good.

18. diddy

diddy New Member

if you're looking for a good irish whiskey, try anything in the Bushmills line. BlackBush is the mid-line, pretty good, but you can get the 10-year-malt for a pretty reasonable price and it's outstanding.

19. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Macallan 18 yr is my fave, followed by Lagavulin, Springbank, Talisker, and Dalwhinnie. Abelour is great with desserts. All neat, please. No blended whisky passes through these lips.

I'm not a fan of bourbon but I enjoy Kentucky Spirit by Wild Turkey. Tastes more like scotch than bourbon to me.

20. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Jack Daniels.

Draft saved Draft deleted