What's your home/apt. style?

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I live on the first floor of a large duplex built around 1910. Hardwood floors, high ceilings with crown mouldings, bay window in kitchen, art deco tile in bathroom, rooms full of windows, working fireplace with built-in shelves on each side.

I have several antiques (including a gorgeous sofa that needs the springs re-tied) and a penchant for Satsuma vases and framing Vintage sheet music. I have a knack for mixing different styles. Currently the house is sporting what I call "minimalist Victorian" fused with Art Nouveau (or Art Deco depending on the room) and asian motifs. I love to play with styles that are normally considered formal or fussy and create a comfortable space with them.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I live on the first floor of a large duplex built around 1910. Hardwood floors, high ceilings with crown mouldings, bay window in kitchen, art deco tile in bathroom, rooms full of windows, working fireplace with built-in shelves on each side.

I have several antiques (including a gorgeous sofa that needs the springs re-tied) and a penchant for Satsuma vases and framing Vintage sheet music. I have a knack for mixing different styles. Currently the house is sporting what I call "minimalist Victorian" fused with Art Nouveau (or Art Deco depending on the room) and asian motifs. I love to play with styles that are normally considered formal or fussy and create a comfortable space with them.

Nice. Sounds like 1/2 of San Francisco.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Your home sounds lovely. :smile: How on earth do you make tea or popcorn without a microwave? :confused:

Put enough popcorn in the pan to cover the bottom 1 layer deep. Then you put enough oil in the pan to nearly cover the corn. Cover the pan and put it on medium heat. When you hear the first kernel pop, shake the pan back and forth on the the burner. When the popping slows down almost to a stop take it off the heat. :biggrin1:

Tea in microwave I will not even discuss.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Put enough popcorn in the pan to cover the bottom 1 layer deep. Then you put enough oil in the pan to nearly cover the corn. Cover the pan and put it on medium heat. When you hear the first kernel pop, shake the pan back and forth on the the burner. When the popping slows down almost to a stop take it off the heat. :biggrin1:

Tea in microwave I will not even discuss.
:yup: I even add a dried chile pod (or sprinkle cayenne pepper after), some sea salt, and maybe a cinnamon stick or a spoon of sugar - good stuff.

Imo, boiling water for tea is a zen experience (rarely drink it hot, tho). :)

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Have you heard of Shabby Chic? Mine is Shabby Shabby. :biggrin1:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What about you all? Green shag carpet? Or totally modern? 1970's paneling? Total Bachelor?
Mostly Early American Street.
Desk, lamps, headboard/bookcase, chairs, bookcases, dressers, television cart (2 shelves with a drawer), electric heater, many knick-knacks, 2 full sets of dishes (1 set has service for 12), a set of silver (real silver which tarnishes and kills the taste of food) for 8, (since the dishes are for 12,this means 4 guests will have to use plastic or share with others). In New York most stuff can be found or is given by people as a parting gift (I got most of the carpets that way). Walls are painted beige, except kitchen which is sky blue now, and the bath which is bright white which works well with the yellow tiles on the floor. Window curtains came from a dead neighbor, window blinds came from the apartment beneath me when she left town, the window fixings before that came from across the hall on the 3rd floor-they were those odd bamboo rollups.

Exceptions-2 wooden cabinets, meant for a kitchen, turned upside down and used for other things, had them since 1973, bought as a bribe by my grandfather. I also have his old dresser-6 drawer, stands 4'10", and I bought the bed and the sofa-which is the only furniture I ever bought. I also bought the television set, the microwave and the stereo system, the air conditioner and a box fan. I used to have a glorious floor fan which was made fully of metal and delivered a strong breeze-never needed the a.c. back then, the fan was given to me by an uncle along with a neon light sign and a wind-up chime clock.

The stove (gas) is a Royal Rose and came with the apartment-it functions and the oven serves as a storage unit most of the time.
Refrigerator is an Acme-been here since I moved in and still works, although it's a pain since it's old and needs to be defrosted regularly.

My best carpet is wearing thin-it's the Cabrera Carpet, so named because as I installed it into the alcove (which measures about 7x9) I got a call from Sam Cabrera and rapidly finished cutting the originally 9x12 down to size before going over to Carmine Street where he was sitting on a bench. My heart was broken as he introduced his wife. Anyway, I still have my carpet, which was given to me by somebody but I do not remember who it was.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I call my house's style "Sanford and Sononian".

'cause it looks like a pawn shop with all of my musical instruments, P.A. gear, and computers crowding around each other.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My style is early 1970s Trailer Park. I have avocado green appliances, with a harvest gold washer and dryer. The carpets are orange and brown shag with wood paneled walls. I also have polyester curtains and a redwood deck.

When I first read this I thought you said redneck wood. I must have a funny form or dyslexia. :biggrin1:

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My apartment is actually in pretty decent shape - could always use a little tidying up though. It's not "totally bachelor", it's maybe a couple notches up - somewhere in the "generally-appreciable-by-the-masses-although-MTV-cribs-aint-even-a-dot-on-the-radar" category. Some Ikea furniture, a relatively new bed, although my dressers and desk are fresh from the 70s/80s... time for an upgrade in THAT dept. Don't really have anything up on my bedroom wall except for one of my 2 sombreros, (who the hell has TWO sombreros, anyways???) but my roommates have pictures up on the walls in the common areas, we keep 'em nice and spotless, and those are lookin' pretty good.