What's your take on murder/suicides?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

IMO When a woman loses her job she loses her income. When a man loses his job, he loses his identity. I think this is why there have been so many family murder/suicides in the USA in the last 2 years.

When a woman goes 'off' and kills a man it is often in a jealous rage. Or one of those, "If I can't have you nobody can,' crazy killings. I DO NOT say that as a means of justification, just observation. Whether male or female there is usually an element of mental illness to be considered as well.

Kinderhook

Man kills wife, five kids, himself after being fired

Mother's Murder/Suicide Letter

McNair's Girlfriend Behind Murder-Suicide

Is Copycat Behavior Driving Murder-Suicides?
    On March 30, a Santa Clara, Calif., man shot five people to death, including three children, before killing himself. On April 3, a gunman went on a shooting rampage in an immigration center in Binghamton, N.Y., killing 13 people before taking his own life. And on April 20, employees of a Sheraton Hotel in Maryland found the bodies of a husband and wife and two daughters, victims of another apparent murder-suicide.

2. Principessa

Gold Member

*BUMP*

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I think that difficult economic times certainly do not bring out the best in any of us. However of all the difficult times I have faced in my life I have never considered suicide and have never really seriously considered homicide. I'm not a medical professional by any means but the underlying factor would seem to be the overall mental health of the individual and their drug and/or alcohol use. I have been arguing with a friend of mine who is a research scientist for years about the effects of drug use during or prior to pregnancy. And factor into that the drugs that children are given for ADD and depression etc .(these drugs and conditions did not even exist when I was a child). It would seem to me to have some long term effect on an adult in terms of the chemicals and how they change your nerve and brain functions.
    This is only a theory on my part that I began formulating after the incident at Columbine High School. My scientist friend thinks that it may have some merit, only no way to prove any of it with testing or a control group reaching back to perhaps three generations.
    In closing, I have a permit to carry a gun, and I am 99.99% certain I am never going to lose my shit and go on a killing rampage. But I suppose there is that .1% that is a factor in most of these tragic cases.

4. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Suicide has in some cases a tremendously hostile and selfish tone to it, a friend of mine's aunt shot herself with a shotgun in the chest, in her son's bedroom. Presumably she was not only deeply depressed and probably off her head but she must have had some angry and hateful message to convey also.

Murder-suicide is probably the apotheosis of this kind of selfish and hateful, perhaps even self indulgent and crapulent kind of self destruction. Die by your own hand if you want by all means but fuck you if your bumping a load of other people off too.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

I can top that. I know a guy whose wife killed herself, with his work gun, while he was in the room.:frown1: He never truly recovered. He is at best a walking shell of a human being. :frown1::mad:

I agree 110%.

6. MercyfulFate

MercyfulFate New Member

Albums:
    You're right about feeling like your job is your identity, I can agree as a man.

I recently lost my job, and you get this "weight" on your shoulders to be the one bringing home the money. My girlfriend makes little quips about it, but I never tell her they actually suck to hear.

I guess it's a holdover from the old days, feeling like as a man I MUST work or something isn't right. Other than that I hate having more pressure on my significant other, if I could work and make enough for both of us I would do it in a heartbeat. I've worked since it was illegal for me to do so, not working is an odd experience.

That being said I'm not going to kill myself, but I can imagine how crappy someone feels when it happens to them.

7. B_hungprepjock

B_hungprepjock New Member

If you seriously want to find out what the motivations for suicide if not murder might be, I think, for starters, you might read two excellent books on the subject.

The first (actually an essay that is the title of a famous book of essays) is Marcel Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus. The second is The Savage God by A. Alvarez. Neither is pro-suicide, in spite of the obtuse interpretations of some critics, but rather both are serious studies.

Alvarez' book chiefly concerns the self-snuffing out of some famous literary lights through the ages (but in particular, Sylvia Plath, who along with her poet-laureate husband were friends of the author), but he also tellingly examines the opportunistic motivations of the early church towards martyrdom and sainthood (and why suicide is now, no less self-serving, considered a cardinal sin) as well as the differing attitudes towards suicide that exist in other cultures, such as Japan's.

Both books helped me right myself when I was pretty much rudderless and adrift. If that's what's hppening to you, BTW, and the reason you bumped your OP, because you're desperately looking for advice, it may sound trite, but seek help at once!

Draft saved Draft deleted