What's your view on Gordon Brown?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by taurusbull, Nov 30, 2009.

1. taurusbull

taurusbull New Member

What do you think he is doing for the UK?

2. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Filling in. He does'nt have the appeal to be a good leader, not that i relish the idea of Cameron either.

3. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think he needs a decent tailor.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Judging by the pix generated on a Google search, I'd say:

8-8.5
    Medium thick
    Uncut
    Long hanging balls
    Doesn't shave (maybe a trim)

5. taurusbull

taurusbull New Member

Haha, thanks Bbucko!

6. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    LOL Bucko!

Not a great deal unfortunately. I really wanted him to do well, but I think he came to the office too late - plus he's not a great leader or communicator, and seems indecisive. I also think he bottled things re: having a referendum over Lisbon, and holding an early election. But maybe I would've done too, I dunno.

7. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    A slight improvement on Tony Blair, saying that;Kermit the frog would have been an improvement.
    Thing with Brown is he does not seem to own anything he says.
    I seem to be leaning more towards Nick Clegg, liberal Democrats these days.

8. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm Labour usually - but thinking a vote for Cameron might be wiser for Britain at the moment...

9. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I think that he is out of his depth in almost everything.

His handling of our economy was complete shite and the lie that people still want to believe will leave them poorer for another five years. His claim to have saved the world during the banking crisis is like a strangler claiming to have saved his victim by taking their grip off the throat.

He created an invisible inflation and most people have less disposeable income now than ten years ago.

I never disliked the guy, but I think that history will slate him or worse just ignore him.

10. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeh, it seems like it. A cold horror grips me when I wonder if that's what I'd be like too, lol. :redface:

I thought he was ok on the economy up to about 2001. The prudent thing worked (although he did inherit an ok economy from the Tories), and people had confidence at first, because they realised the tight budget was sensible. But then he seemed to break all his golden rules, and everything went pear-shaped. (Especially the spectacularly crap decision, to sell much of our gold reserves at a time when the price was low).

11. Drifterwood

Gold Member

You'll spend most of your life paying 33% more tax than you should and unless you get very successful, you won't have much to show for it when you stop working, whenever that may be, probably 80 odd.

Happy thought before bdtime :tongue:.

12. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Grrr...go away or I'll raid your pension. :wink: :biggrin1:

13. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

The Right Honourable The First Lord of the Treasury is doing bugger all for Britain or the British, his efforts are to please the American corporations. He failed to become Crown Prince of Rumania (look in the biography) and has failed us miserably. I dislike party political people because they turn a blind eye to what they know is wrong in their own party (don't watch the prompted speakers on Question Time, watch the audience - all probably vetted by Special Branch) and accept as the truth what is opined in our press. Gone are the hustings of our grandparents days when you could stand and listen to a candidate without a ring of goons around them. Remember the very old chap at the conference where he told Blair he was speaking rubbish and was assaulted by private bullet headed, pie stuffing, "security guards" and how funny we thought the old geezer was. Apologies come cheap to politicians.

You deserve what you get. We have become Ruritania overnight. Brown grabs headlines telling Pakistan to pull its finger out - anyone tell him it was his moron Texas friend and his golems who failed to get Bin Laden. Brown like Blair is a self serving shite. You are welcome to him, or his understudy Cameron.

#13 Sergeant_Torpedo, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  14. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Help yourself.

I don't have one :eek:. They're not worth having anymore.

15. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Was he more competent at one point, and has somehow lost it?
    Or was that just a misconception peeps had before he stepped fully into the glaring lights of leadership?

16. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Good post mate, have to say i agree.

Blair, Brown and i am sure Cameron will all be America's puppets.Britannia rules the waves died along with my parents day, i feel for all the soldiers from all the wars who defended this country, for what? to have idiots like these ruining it, my grandparents god bless them would hate to see it like it is, my grandfather inparticular was a staunch labour man, he would not recognise the parties now.

17. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

So Bush and, above all, Rumsfeld failed to fuel the forces into Tora Bora that would (perhaps) have allowed the U.S. to get Osama.
    What does that have to do with Brown?
    And why does that invalidate putting pressure, now, years later, on Pakistan?
    I don't get it, S_T.:thinking:

18. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I don't think he ever was. One of the first things that he did was to abdicate responsibility for the Bank Of England. They then actually did a very good job, for which he was quick to take the credit. However he failed to give them regulatory power which came back to haunt us in a very big way.

He inherited a recovering economy with very low interest rates, deflationary effects of cheaper goods from China which he juggled with manufacturing job losses against creation of Public Sector jobs, whose pensions we will be paying to our graves, or should that be greves.

The hidden inflation I referred to above was house prices increasing every year by three times the rate of inflation, fuelled by cheap money from the Far and Middle East.

Nothing that he has ever done has been sustainable.

Just my potted POV.

Oh, and he still managed to be in debt during the heyday. Marvellous. :rolleyes:

He has done nothing for child poverty, nor for education and given the latest scandals, even the NHS continues to disappoint.

19. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thought he was more competent at first, but the wheels seemed to fall off after a while. Giving the Bank of England independence did seem like the right decision. He seemed to lose the plot after several years though and went berserk with spending, even before the recession when he was still Chancellor.

Some of it may have been preconception before becoming PM. I don't think he has what it takes to do the top job really - he only functions in a number 2 role.

#19 Joll, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2009
  20. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Top and bottom of it, he thought he could do a better job than Tony Blair, Blair could not even do the job proper.

Draft saved Draft deleted