When a guy says "Buddy"

Panthology

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What does it mean when a guy calls you buddy? For instance I'm gay and sometimes when I see guys that I know or even barely know. They call me buddy and I know that it could just mean friend or acquaintance or something, but it's just a weird feeling like it's not always just that. Like it means something more sometimes? I could be wrong. I just wanted to know. :confused:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I guess it depends on that "thingamajiggy whacha call it" (when you get the meaning from the moment or from the rest of the words-like?)...

Anyway, when I use it (as in "Hey bud, can you frekin' move your car a lil faster??) it's hardly complimentary, but WAY nicer than "asshole".

D_Relentless Original

Cherished Member
Media
Buddy, Mate, Pal, Fella, Man, Dude etc, its all good. In my old village, everybody called each other 'Duck' ,males. females, it went with the turf. As In " Hi Duck", moved to another town 45 miles away its " Hi Cock". go figure...

yhtang

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Buddy, Mate, Pal, Fella, Man, Dude etc, its all good. In my old village, everybody called each other 'Duck' ,males. females, it went with the turf. As In " Hi Duck", moved to another town 45 miles away its " Hi Cock". go figure...

In Nottingham (as in the Forest of, and the Sheriff of,) they tend to call each other "Ducky." At least, they did when I was there 20 years ago.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you live in Matt Stone and Trey Parker's version of Canada, it does not indicate friendly intent.

Terrance: Don't call me a rat, buddy!

Stephen Abootman: I'm not your buddy, friend!

Phillip: He's not your friend, guy!

Stephen Abootman: I'm not your guy, buddy!

Terrance: He's not your buddy, friend!

Stephen Abootman: I'm not your friend, guy!​

--South Park, "Canada on Strike"

Last edited:

curioustitan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
All i know, is that if i hear the term of endearment "buddy"....a hook up ain't 'a happening.
All of my straight friends (some of whom are slightly more affectionate than others) use the terms bud, or buddy.
If i hear it from them or an acquaintance or someone i've just met, i get the strong impression of "dude'siness" or "total straight guy"....hence the 'no hooking up'.
Well, in my experiences anyway...

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
What does it mean when a guy calls you buddy? For instance I'm gay and sometimes when I see guys that I know or even barely know. They call me buddy and I know that it could just mean friend or acquaintance or something, but it's just a weird feeling like it's not always just that. Like it means something more sometimes? I could be wrong. I just wanted to know. :confused:

Most likely it means that person doesn't think you're too heavy to carry. :smile:

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What does it mean when a guy calls you buddy? For instance I'm gay and sometimes when I see guys that I know or even barely know. They call me buddy and I know that it could just mean friend or acquaintance or something,
Prolly because you dont have enough of an alpha male mindset. I bet you rarely use the phrase in return. I used to think the same way, I changed my ways of thinking by reading psychology & pop psychology,

They are calling you 'buddy' as an equal with no sexual connotation. Like anyone would talk to their father or brother.

Last edited: