When a guy says "Buddy"

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I refer to my friends as "friends," not as "buddies." "Buddy" is trying way too hard to be hetero, as if "friend" is a euphemism for something more than friend. It's not.

rodevon10

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have always believed that there are your friends, then, your good friends and then your buddies, good friends that you have sex with. This the term F* Buddies.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
What does it mean when a guy calls you buddy? For instance I'm gay and sometimes when I see guys that I know or even barely know. They call me buddy and I know that it could just mean friend or acquaintance or something, but it's just a weird feeling like it's not always just that. Like it means something more sometimes? I could be wrong. I just wanted to know. :confused:

It's interchangeable with Pal and Mac and often used if the name isn't known.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I call other people in general everything in the book. Buddy. Dude. Man. Guy. Friend. Senor. Babe. Baby. Kiddo. Et cetera.

If anyone has been either insecure enough to think it's belittling or silly enough to think it's me hitting on them, that's really on them. At the most, when I do such a thing, it's a term of friendly endearment, not a sign that I either think little of them or think too much of them. The only one I've pretty much dropped for men is "kiddo", because honestly too many dudes are insecure about it and twice I had to tell a guy to de-bunch his panties over it (ironically demonstrating that he did, at best, have the maturity of a teenager).

Honestly, this question is such a clear reminder that gay men are pretty much exactly like straight men but with a preference for dudes. I swear, so many straight men think a woman even talking to them means she has a crush on them. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i think how these terms are taken is all down to the experiences of the person they've been used on.... for example: i hate the term 'buddy', i loathe the term 'guy'.... i also loathe the people who use those terms on me.... in my experience anyway.... 'dude' to me is the term i prefer because it's so versatile.... you can say a straight-up 'dude.'... or you could say 'DUDE!'.... or you could say 'duuuuude...' in close second would simply to call someone by their gender.... like: 'hey man!' or 'hey girl!'.... and with my brother, it's things like 'hey fuckwad!' or 'hey asshole!'....

.... i come from a very loving family....

:D

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The meaning depends on the guy using it. I had a friend who used to call me buddy, but he really wanted me to screw him. :dunno:

I use all kinds of terms when referring to certain friends - buddy, friend, dude, chief, brother, cousin, etc. No secret meaning behind it...

I never refer to guys I don't know in that way & I don't really like it when strangers do it.

D

deleted3782

I went to my local coffee place on Friday and the guy behind the cash register said "Hey buddy, what can I get ya?" I assumed he was offering a coffee product...could he have been implying more?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I use them interchageably, all positive.

In passing of a guy that says hello, or that I don't know, to be friendly I'll say Good Morning" or "Hey bud, how are you" with a smile.

I guess I've never thought of it as in a negative context as I maintain eye contact with a positive smile. Sometimes I don't get a response and I think "What an ass...didn't even think to reply" but I usually keep walking.

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First of all, buddy means two different things, so it depends on the persons expression and attitude towards you as to what meaning it has.

The first is positive, it's like a hey what's up, which means they're glad to see you;)

The second is negative, it's slang for buddy old pal, it means I think your a douche bag! :eek:

Last edited: