When did it all go Pete Tong?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Osiris, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Osiris

Gold Member

So I have always had a lot of friends over in the UK. They come here and I used to go there before children. We never disagreed on too many things, but this was in the days of the Clinton presidency. Since the Bush presidency, the harmonious relationship seems to have fallen off. So, that said...

Do you think that the Clinton-Blair partnership fostered a better relationship all around than the Bush-Blair partnership?

I think it has. What do you think?

2. kazooplayer

kazooplayer New Member

Why does the presidential situation effect your personal relationships?

3. Osiris

Gold Member

OK, I guess that did come out wrong. Let me rephrase that a bit.

Relations in general on a national respect scale. Does that make sense?

Thanks kazooplayer. I need more caffeine. :rolleyes:

4. sjprep06

sjprep06 New Member

Albums:
    Love the cockney rhyming slang

I think most of the friendly relationships that we have had with other countries have fallen off. I personally see ourselves, under the current administration, to be a bit of a liability. I have also always felt that the terrorist attacks in London were most likely the delayed reaction to what were then our present actions on the world stage. When Vicente Fox was the President of Mexico, you used to hear about him and Bush all the time, now that Felipe Calderon is in charge, I really haven't heard much from our neighbor down south.

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Osiris - I am certainly not going to kiss your arse - butt you make a very good point. Generally the Brits are your very good friends and when your friends tell you that you (your admin) is being a bit of a twat you should listen.

Slick Willy was the acceptable face of America, Mr. Bush is not.

6. Osiris

Gold Member

No arse kissing necessary mate.

I like your posts and am glad you replied. I like hearing the other side and it's nice to know you don't take it personally like I don't. I posted this mainly to better understand why the UK contingent has this seeming animosity for the US, but on another note...

Do you think Tony Blair was politically killed by his relationship with Bush? Did Parliament "support and then retreat" on supporting Blair on the Iraq situation?

7. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I am not sure that we think local Politicians are that relevant any more. Personally I never took to Tony, I prefer espresso to latte or however you spell it. It was bizarre for us to see a supposed left of Democrat politician cuddling up with well how can you describe George?

Mr Blair lost any credibility that he may have been thought to have had over Iraq. As far as I can see, the Brits in their usual politeness have been delighted to forget him extremely quickly. Tony who?

This isn't exactly my own opinion as I would naively still like a world where we can remove the unpalateable. But noone has resolved this question.

I live in the Global community and economy and whilst I am becoming increasingly cynical, I take to our Mr. Brown. I consider him an honest, intelligent man of integrity - though don't expect him to play ball with George.

Draft saved Draft deleted