When did shorts become longs?

texjoe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What I want to know is when did "shorts" become "longs". You see these unbelievably baggy hideous things that basketball players wear, and those so-called "trunks" at the beach, "cargo pants" which are all badly-fitting, loose, and in general part of the 'diaperification' of the US male. I know there's a joke about European and gays wearing Speedos (well, if they bother wearing anything), but for god's sake, I wish men would look like men and not like David Byrne from "Stop Making Sense" without the Jacket. Schlubwear.

You only have to go back a little in time and you see fantastic beautiful men's shorts, asses and so forth.

For men who want fantastic shorts, I advise (hold your breath) shopping in the women's sportswear sections of stores. I know it looks odd to see a 250lb musclebound thing looking through women's shorts (believe, me I avoid the pink-piping pastels), but believe me they do three fantastic things.

- a women's L is a men's XL, or even XXL - I can actually wear a medium even with treetrunk legs sometimes
- the crotch is by no means full, so you get a great basket at no extra effort
- they are cut high so you have great legs and ass no matter what.

Only drawback is that some women's shorts have a very high waist which feels strange.

I heartily recommend "American Apparel" which, though they have 'mens' and 'womens' shorts and sweatpants, they are similar colors and cuts. Low-waisted, cut high in the crotch, and cutoff sweatpants are fantastic. So big-legged, big-hipped, big-basket guys, straight, bi or gay, go for it.

"Call me the clothes guy" Joe

komodoman

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Joe, I totally agree with you man. I was thinking the same thing. I just want a pair of "shorts". Those beach shorts with the crotch at knee level are just hideous! What's even worse is, I live in Honk Kong and casual clothing is unisex. When are these things going to go out of fashion? I feel like I'm back in the Victorian age, covering up what used to be sexy!! Even worse, I feel like I come from the 'Hood. However, I don't have the balls to go into the women's section to get my shorts. I'd rather travel to Europe and pick them up there!

ceg1526

Experimental Member
Media
Fashion is cyclical; at some point men's shorts will start to go back up, just like women's skirts. And, on a tangent, since the Democrats won this election, shouldn't those skirts be going back up?

I remember the 70s, where men's shorts ended just below the crotch. I couldn't wear them then without briefs because I'd hang out the leg holes. I've got some pics of myself from back then, and it looks like I've got a softball stuffed in there. Amazing how things have changed - if I wore them like that today, folks would complain and I'd get beefed, but back then no one mentioned anything. The ones I wear now are about mid thigh, and I can go commando and not scare the troops.

Take care,

Ceg

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have different swim trunks for the mood I am in. I have some longer and shorter traditional trunks for when I am feeling more modest (or at the family pool with the kids). I'd rathe rnot have to explain to my daughter why her classmate's dad and mom are staring at me. Call me shy and modest.

I also have a few tight squartcuts (black, flame patterned) and a powder blue C-in-2 speedo that shows everything (which is great for Bear Beach at Rehoboth--i.e., North shores). Call me an attention whore.

There is something to be said about the surprise of taking down my shorts and the reaction therein without giving it all away upfront. Although I am not buying new clothes, so as I bulk up, things will just get tighter.

- a women's L is a men's XL, or even XXL - I can actually wear a medium even with treetrunk legs sometimes
- the crotch is by no means full, so you get a great basket at no extra effort
- they are cut high so you have great legs and ass no matter what.

Handsome, I can only imagine what you look like in these. You fill out JEANS very well.

texjoe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Being overly anal and systematic, I remember reading a formula for calculating when things go in/out of style, which was something like:

10 years - passé (90's fashion)
20 years - retro (80's fashion)
30 years - revival (70's fashion)
40 years - chic (60's fashion)
50 years - fashionable (50's fashion)
60 years - old (40's fashion) cycle starts again

it's not exact. But by my calculations we're way past either a retro, revival, or chic period for shorts. Women's hemlines go up and down every 5-10 years, but not mens...

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They have been getting larger since the late 80's. Re pants in general, I've long been complaining to all that I haven't seen a cute butt in 15 years. Huge oversize pants, falling down and tripping over, are what clowns wore to look silly, they still make me smile. Only good recent development is wearing them so low they are below the butt, and the abs are completely exposed. I have been hoping the trend would go in the other direction since the mid 90's. Hasn't happened yet. Guy's styles look like clowns, and women's look like prostitutes.

Young guys think a speedo type swim suit is new and daring, when it used to be universal.

The youth sizes are to me a better fit, I wear a pair of underarmour shorts that are a youth medium.

I am glad that low rise, used to call them hip huggers, jeans have finally come back for guys, and with rufskins are a bit more extreme than they were the previous time around. I have a couple pair, as well as levi's low rise and offenders.

Trekrider

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ordinary shorts are bad enough now, but those dreadful 3/4 things are even worse. Fortunately here in Australia it's not so much an issue of having to cover up (after all, the Speedo is an Aussie invention) but just that a large part of fashion is dictated by what is trendy overseas; to put it simply guys here see what guys on US TV shows wear and want the same.
The rot seemed to start to set in here in the mid-late 90's when the almost knee length cargo shorts appeared on the scene. Then the ghastly 3/4 pants, popular with guys who really want to wear shorts but aren't comfortable showing their legs, turned up about 5 yrs ago. At least proper length (ie. short) shorts in the form of football (rugby to non Aussies), gym shorts and work shorts are still popular and worn here despite the influence of US culture.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
Being overly anal and systematic, I remember reading a formula for calculating when things go in/out of style, which was something like:

10 years - passé (90's fashion)
20 years - retro (80's fashion)
30 years - revival (70's fashion)
40 years - chic (60's fashion)
50 years - fashionable (50's fashion)
60 years - old (40's fashion) cycle starts again

it's not exact. But by my calculations we're way past either a retro, revival, or chic period for shorts. Women's hemlines go up and down every 5-10 years, but not mens...
Interesting view on the fashion cycles - I have a "know thy enemy" knowledge on the subject :biggrin1:

I see the cycles having changed so much that fashion or trends have imploded - or they cycle so much, that it creates all these subcatagories. Note the significance of the statement "what constitutes normal nowadays". Kids themselves can't keep track, so they shun what was known for the unknown.

Quickie Google search produces these interesting albeit dated articles (pun intended :tongue:)

Amazon.com: Fashion Zeitgeist: Trends and Cycles in the Fashion System: Books: Barbara Vinken,Mark Hewson

if you care to register and/or pay for the info:

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0022-2429(198123)45%3A4%3C116%3AAFLCPA%3E2.0.CO%3B2-7

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0022-2437(199305)30%3A2%3C142%3ATFFT%3E2.0.CO%3B2-S

I think this issue might tie in with recent generations being less secure about body shape - look at all the obesity in America for a case in point, and among kids. Baggy clothes hide shape - be it round or malnourished.

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
yes, i think surfer and hiphop fashions drove men to wear much longer, baggier clothes in the late 80s. I have pics of myself around 8 years old wearing the most ridiculous, long bright, wild colored shorts. They are really funny now. But i was pretty cool at the time. lol. I'm surprised you just posted this. I think it has mellowed out some.

texjoe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have my own sinister theory about baggy pants. I think it's a side-effect of 'thug' or 'prison' style as it flows slowly into other fashions. That's the bizarre, pants-falling-off look with prominent underwear shown. In prisons, I understand that men cannot have belts, and if they end up with pants too large, then they have to deal with them sliding off. I think then men repeated this look outside of prison, and then slowly baggy pants, falling-off pants, shorts, and a whole sub-genre came out. That mixed with california baggy-pants surfer wear (you'd see 'em wearing their baggies, hurachi sandals too!) I think created the diaper-look miasma...

That plus women really looking at men sexually and visually, and men not liking it.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I own a speedo-type swimsuit and suggested wearing it on vacation. My travel partner was horrified - she can't imagine guys wearing anything other than the baggy swim shorts that are in vogue now.

:smile: Apart from considerations of style and how much you are comfortable exposing, trying to swim wearing a sea anchor is a considerable frustration.

PS,LOL, remembering the 'speedo versus trunks threads' here, I'd be so embarassed if any one were to suspect me of heterosexual tendencies.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I remember when baggy fashion starting coming en vogue. In basketball, it started with Michael Jordan. Few remember that he was the first player to reject the tighter shorts of the Larry Bird/Magic Johnson eras and go looser. Also, I remember being in college around 1990 when the Gap created it first style of "baggy fit" jeans. They were loose as hell on me. Since then, the Gap, for one, has refine its cu tof these jean such that they are no longer baggy, but rather relaxed (read: I can wear a pair without exposing everything).

The high fashion that has trickled down into stores now is a slimmer shilouette, which is nice, although to be fair--you have to be lean (read: Heath Ledger) to wear it. Someone with ass, thighs, cock is going to have a hard time wearing dress clothes and looking discreet. I striggle to find clothes that show off my build well without looking obscene (understanding that I work in special ediuccation).

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...That plus women really looking at men sexually and visually, and men not liking it.

Sadly, I think it is also because men are now highly aware of the percentage of MEN that are checking out their bulges and butts and they aren't comfortable about that.

:wink: _Onan

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Sadly, I think it is also because men are now highly aware of the percentage of MEN that are checking out their bulges and butts and they aren't comfortable about that.

I think this is a very important element here.
People used to think the 'queers' were maybe one or two percent of the population, and most of those were hiding their proclivities.
But now everyone knows that ain't so ... the numbers are much larger, and they feel quite entitled to their eyes' wanderings, thank you very much.
Which, I guess, is a point much supported by many of the posts above.

musclebare9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I really don't enjoy the big baggies either. Shorts should be just that, short. I wear shorts to keep cool and during active times (running) for the freedom of movement. I must admit though, there can be a certain sexiness to a pair of baggy shorts if they are wore the right way. I like to keep them loose and riding really low on my hips. Exposing a nice trail down to the edge of my pubes get some real attention. I figure if I can't show it on the bottom, I am going to show it on the top.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

There must be more insecure people than I ever suspected.

Me? Gawk if you want, tell me if you like it, but just don't be mad if I leave it at "Thanks", turn down a proposition, and/or ask if you know a girl to send my way. :tongue:

Alot of crap around these days... I usually base my purchases on function, as long as it doesn't look crap too. You make a good point on female clothing. Personally I lean towards trade uniform, military, government services (police/firefighting/SWAT etc), adventurewear, just something that'll last the distance and make my life easier.

Thankfully though artistry I can make just about everything (even the OMGSHOCKERS) look good... and even when I screw up and my clothing looks totally ratscrap,... well, at least I got myself :)

My main issue with pants is something to compensate for the flaccid/erect girth changes... since i've never seen anything for the height. (long coats / shirts suffice)

Moi last purchase:
• "shorts" that were most definately "longs"
• from an adventure clothing store, had something like a six month guarantee...
• much above my waist size with belt capability AND various internal adjustments
• earthy khaki color, looked mighty fine

And did I mention it had over 8 pockets? SWEEEEEET!!! ^o^

sflatintop

Sexy Member
Media
I rarely wear shorts at all, outside the house(unless I'm swimming; then I wear squarecuts, or speedos at the nude beach). But when I am feeling very flasherly, I will wear basketball shorts. You can show everything and look perfectly innocent...
On other guys, though, I definitely prefer to see some more leg.

DiegoID

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I really don't enjoy the big baggies either. Shorts should be just that, short. I wear shorts to keep cool and during active times (running) for the freedom of movement. I must admit though, there can be a certain sexiness to a pair of baggy shorts if they are wore the right way. I like to keep them loose and riding really low on my hips. Exposing a nice trail down to the edge of my pubes get some real attention. I figure if I can't show it on the bottom, I am going to show it on the top.

I was watching a movie about the Duke Kahanamoku who brought surfing to the mainland. He wore what looked like a long A-Shirt (to just past the crotch), and a pair of square cut shorts. I was thinking how that old style of bathing suits (From the 30's) shows more leg than the current styles.
If the bottom line for shorts has been going down the past 20 years...well the top's been drifting lower and lower as well. The low cut is where "Sexy" is right now. If you've got a 6 pack and that "Abercrombie & Fitch" v shape waist that's where the sexy is. I think that (Men's) fashion is doing really well compairativly. An entire generation of men are being brought up with a body consciousness that has been lacking in previous years. It is becoming more and more acceptable (even required) for a straight guy to be aware of how he looks, how he dresses, and to spend a minute or two in front of the mirror before going outside.

Allthough it is somewhat surprising to have super long board shorts be in style it really comes down to personal tastes. I don't really think the 80's style super tight jeans (with the super-gay buldge), and small gym shorts should come back in style. I don't find it sexy, but I think it is due to a generational gap morte than anything else.

Is it really more attractive to have pants that go up to your navel, but are skin tight and show off buldge, compaired to super baggy pants showing half your ass and your pubic hair? I'm not certain either is sexy...