when did trimming and shaving become popular with guys

dave2006

Sexy Member
Media
I know by the time I started showering in the locker room more in the mid 90's guys were at least trimming thier pubes and shaving thier balls. Was this popular back in the 70's and 80's? Was it still the majority or the minority?

Now women threaten to not give oral unless it is tidy down there. Was there the same demand back then or did guys get blown just as much

Bullnutz

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had a major odor problem back in the 70's, tried everything, pills, creams, powders, sprays, nothing worked. It was so oppressive that I could smell it so I knew other people could too. My doctor suggested I shave since nothing else worked, due to the fact that the odor causing bacteria atached to the hair follicles. That was about 1978-1979. Since then, I have been self conscious of having no pubes, which being a nudist helped me overcome. Since about 1990, seems to be the norm now, trimming back to next to nothing, if not shaving. Karma is a bitch, since most men want women to shave, and since they shave for bikinis anyway, women seem to be demanding men do something about it now. It dsoesnt bother me at all now to be smoth there in a lockerroom or whereever. Its's my hair, I do what I want. But I do believe I was in that first wave of pube removers way back then.

Big Swinging Dick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think it's the media to a large extent.

I mean, back in the seventies, men were hairy. Check out a Playgirl to see how men used to look.

But toward the late nineties, most actors were smooth as babies. Check out Tiger Beat or any other magazine aimed at teenage girls. They basically desexualized those guys by making them look like grown babies.

Devon Sawa. That type.

It's pretty much the same today alas.

I couldn't imagine a young actor posing in Tiger Beat or something these days with a hairy chest.

Packdude

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think the time it started kind of may depend on the area you live in.

I grew up in a smaller suburban area in the West US and I think I was the only kid in my high school who was shaving pubic hair back in the mid 1980's. I did it in the summers, but didn't really start doing it full-time until the summer before my senior year, when I no longer had to worry about PE class showers. I think there would have been some 'peer consequences' had I started earlier -- someone in class would have noticed and made a big deal about it, I'm sure.

I do remember one time going to the raquet club in the late 80's and one man in the shower was kind of looking at me strange -- kind of surprised him I guess that a 18 year old guy would be bare down there. He was probably thinking, "darn kids these days, what gotten into them?" Oh well.

Been shaving ever since senior year, though. In college PE, I still think I was the only one I ever saw in showers with trimmed pubes, but by that time I really didn't care what anyone else thought!

For once, I was actually ahead of my time in something!