When did 'Troll' become Ok to say?

Steamboy

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I apologize if this thread is not original.

I have been reading through some of the threads lately and I have noticed the word ‘troll’ bandied about insouciantly (look it up) by both str8s and gays.

I don’t expect the str8 guys on the site to start swapping spit with the gay guys or vice versa, but this is an ugly word. For gay men no longer in their youngest years this word is very emotionally charged. It is the equivalent to calling a more mature woman a hag.

Can we not play nice?

p.s. To my fellow gays: SHAME ON YOU for using this word with such ease. You just make it ok of other people to use offensive language. You should know better.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:wtf2:

Well, here's what I found in UrbanDictionary.com:

Troll, n. [SIZE=-1]One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

[Wisecrack at end removed in editing.]
[/SIZE]

dudepiston

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I agree I don't enjoy this word either, but only if I feel it's being used against me when I've done & said nothing wrong. I don't know the exact definition of a troll, but in 'net-speak' this is more someone (regardless of age) who 'fishes' for problems, posts items that would be largely offensive to people, and searches for yummy bits of man-flesh to snack on and does so in an irresponsible way. Perhaps I'm ill educated?

I have been reading through some of the threads lately and I have noticed the word ‘troll’ bandied about insouciantly (look it up) by both str8s and gays.

I don’t expect the str8 guys on the site to start swapping spit with the gay guys or vice versa, but this is an ugly word. For gay men no longer in their youngest years this word is very emotionally charged. It is the equivalent to calling a more mature woman a hag.

Can we not play nice?

p.s. To my fellow gays: SHAME ON YOU for using this word with such ease. You just make it ok of other people to use offensive language. You should know better.

SoFla8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Troll - a person who is deliberately inflammatory on the Internet in order to provoke a vehement response from other users

Troll - a slang term for gay men who wander about looking for sex or potential partners

Sooooo, which usage are you bitching about again?:confused:

I think that's a bit unfair Cal. He may not be familiar with the term in its internet context though I've seen it used both ways here. Give him a few more posts to show his intentions and then decide.

I will say to Steamboy that it's a bit early in our introduction to be so critical of us. We're still making first impressions. You will find LPSG has a unique combination of GLBT interacting in harmony.

Welcome!

:wtf2:

Well, here's what I found in UrbanDictionary.com:

Troll, n. [SIZE=-1]One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

For an example, look at yourself, Steamboy.
[/SIZE]

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
you go steamboy, dont pay attn to these jerks

troll, a term for any man, str8 or gay, when trolls for sex , sofla8

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Did you actually say insouciantly? I'm not sure I agree with your point, but ten points for vocabulary.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am familiar with both usages.

In an overwhelming majority of mentions on LPSG, it is the "internet asshole" term, rather than the "trolling for sex" term. We will continue to use it in such a manner, since we actually do have so many trolls about.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi Steamboy,

It seems you are not just new to LPSG; but new to the internet as well. When we use the word troll we are not using it as a derogatory term for an older gay male.

A troll's main goal is usually to arouse anger and frustration among the message board's other participants, and will write whatever it takes to achieve this end. One popular trolling strategy is the practice of Winning by Losing. While the victim is trying to put forward solid and convincing facts to prove his position, the troll's only goal is to infuriate its prey. The troll takes (what it knows to be) a badly flawed, wholly illogical argument, and then vigorously defends it while mocking and insulting its prey. The troll looks like a complete fool, but this is all part of the plan. The victim becomes noticeably angry by trying to repeatedly explain the flaws of the troll's argument. Provoking this anger was the troll's one and only goal from the very beginning.

Troll - a person who is deliberately inflammatory on the Internet in order to provoke a vehement response from other users

Troll - a slang term for gay men who wander about looking for sex or potential partners. Sooooo, which usage are you bitching about again?:confused:

Apparently he thought we were using the latter meaning.

Thank you Rawrs! :smile:

wldhoney

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

Can we not play nice?

Steamboy, my concern is that you immediately assumed it was regarding someone gay, which implies that you may not have read thru the posts enough to understand the exchanges clearly. I have yet to see someone refer to another as a troll in the context you are referring to.

You will find there are members here, as well as on other forums, that enjoy causing chaos. They deliberately bait members with remarks that are meant to increase tension, anger, and upset others. New or long-term, you will pick up on who they are.

There is a difference between debating an issue and disagreeing with someone and, for example, coming into a thread with an immediate "F You" is just one red flag. A troll will throw out outlandish or infammatory remarks without a basis of reasoning. They have little respect or consideration for others.

"Troll" is not a word exclusive to the gay community. It is a common internet term referring to the type of person engaged in the above mentioned activities.

And, what is offensive to you may not be offensive to others, even if it may not be considered politically correct. Every body is different. I find it is best to ignore trigger words and concentrate on the actual topic.

Good luck to you and welcome!

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Maybe you're right. :biggrin1:
No, I think there are far more people on the internet who know the (internet) meaning of the word "troll" than there are people who know the meaning of "insouciant." The latter group is probably . . . um . . . exiguous! If I may be so sesquipedalian. :biggrin1:

(By the way, that last phrase is borrowed from Moe Howard of the Three Stooges.)

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No, I think there are far more people on the internet who know the (internet) meaning of the word "troll" than there are people who know the meaning of "insouciant." The latter group is probably . . . um . . . exiguous! If I may be so sesquipedalian. :biggrin1:

(By the way, that last phrase is borrowed from Moe Howard of the Three Stooges.)

Steamboy has obviously affected the look and language of the steampunk movement. It goes for a retro-victorian feel.

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought a "troll" was a monster that lived under a bridge or in a dark hole.

Norse mythology: evil-tempered ugly dwarf (or giant).

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I didn't want to mention that before, but look at Monster (post #7), check out the location in his profile...

:eek:I didn't even realise!. Sorry monster! :smile: hehe! Off to look some words up now!

Maybe he is of Norwegian decent!?!