When did you stop believing in Santa?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Italian1, Dec 25, 2007.

1. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

When did you stop believing in Santa Claus? Or maybe you still believe in him? :wink:

I remember when I stopped believing. It was during summer vacation and I was 8 years old. My friend Scott and I were playing outside. I'm not sure how the conversation of Christmas even came up as it was a hot day, but I remember him saying there was no such thing as Santa Claus.

His exact words were "There is no Santa Claus! Your parents are Santa!"

I was shocked and in disbelief. He said that his cousin woke up the previous Christmas eve to go to the bathroom, and he saw his parents putting gifts under the tree. I told Scott that his cousin is wrong and there definitely is a Santa. He lives on the North Pole, wears a red suit, has elves that make toys, and on Christmas eve he goes on a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer to bring gifts to children all over the world. That's what I believed, and most other children believed it, as far fetched as it sounded.

I had to find out the truth, so I told Scott I was going home to ask my mother. I ran up the street, ran in the door and blurted out to my mother "Scott said there's no such thing as Santa!" My mother smiled a little. I was hoping she was going to reassure me, tell me that there was a Santa and that Scott was full of it. Instead, she told me that Scott was right. There was no Santa.:mad: It was the parents that gave you gifts. It was all one big fantasy. Boy was I disappointed. But I also remember thinking how dumb I was. How could I believe such absurdities like flying reindeer, elves, and this chubby man in red bring toys all over the world?

I had questions for my mother. When did you go shopping? Where did you hide the gifts? Who drank the milk and cookies? What happened to the carrot I left for Rudolph? They went shopping after work, hid the gifts in the closets or the car trunk, dad ate the cookies, etc, etc.

Somehow after hearing what my mom said, I remember feeling a little more grown up. Whenever there were little children around, I could play along and pretend there was a Santa. I was kind of like an adult. :smile:

When Christmas came that year I looked around the basement and the closets to see if I could find hidden presents. I found some bags that I suspected were filled with presents, but I didn't have the nerve to open them up. I didn't want to ruin everything for myself. I still wanted my Christmas morning surprises. :veryhappy:

2. sweatyblackballs

sweatyblackballs New Member

Santa in the Ghetto ... RIGHT!

3. Manbap

Manbap Member

Being a way from home on this particulare day, I realy realy miss all that, and all I want now is a Santa to knock on my door and give me my gift :tongue:

I can remember that we used to have one of the family relatives to do the Santa, and kidds of my age, around 7 or 8, used to challange eachother to know who was playing that roll, but it was extremely difficult to know who was behind the red suit and the white long bear :redface:

4. Axcess

Gold Member

I dont dont remember the exactly age when I stop believe in santa . Maybe when I was between 9-10 year old and my parents revealed to me that Santa doesnt exit.

5. No_Strings

Gold Member

I have never believed in Santa Claus.

6. koval

Gold Member

You mean that there is no Santa? :eek:

Next you will say that the Easer bunny doesn'texist either.:34:

7. Kimahri

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was around 10. The year the family lost everything and there was no Christmas.

8. Northland

Gold Member

I can't say that I ever believed in Santa Claus. My earliest memories of the Christmas holiday were centered around the church (St.Paul and St. Andrew Methodist for a few years- was eventually baptized there). I was familiar with the Santa figure; however, it never seemed real to me. Since we were new in this country and had no actual religious adherence, we essentially ended up in the Christian church as a way to assimilate. There I was this little child being told that God would kill me if I didn't do as I was told (at least that's how I recall it) The actual quote was along the lines of The Lord thy God is a vengeful and jealous God. Um, okay, that'll make me love Him- or at least put on a good pretense. I was an angel in a church Christmas pageant (played against type) and then for a few years, I was a shepherd-oh yeah, that was a real stretch, I really had to exercise my acting abilities:rolleyes2:. I couldn't sing, so no vocals for me. No Santa Claus in the pageants. There was though, a church member who dressed up as Santa Claus at the after pageant party and he distributed toys and other gifts to us.

When other children talked about Santa Claus I didn't pay any attention to it. I knew it was all an act; yet, I didn't see a reason to crush their silly delusional dreams.

For the record I didn't ever believe in the Easter bunny either.

9. B_blackkid

B_blackkid New Member

I never quit.

I never started.

10. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

`
    Dont be silly of course there is a Santa, but he is only real to people who believe in him - if you dont believe in Santa you must be REALLY sad

11. naughty

Gold Member

I was in 4th grade and my smart a.. friend decided to enlighten me with the fact that there was no santa and that it is one's mother and father and that it is all delivered by a truck the night before. I was so angry with her for robbing me of my innocence. I pretended to believe for as long as I could and then I began acting as the Stocking santa for the rest of my family. Now another member has taken over the tradition. We got the most hilarious letters from Santa this year. THey were better than the stuff in the stockings.

12. koval

Gold Member

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

13. Principessa

Gold Member

I was about 8 or 9 and the Jewish kid next door told me there was no Santa. I went crying to my mom who reassured me that Santa was in fact real. She also told me that only those who truly believed received gifts on Christmas morning. To this day I believe. :smile:

By the way the kid next door and his family were good friends of ours. My mom had a talk with him and his mom. Apparently they didn't think it was such a big deal. Years later my mom told me what she said. She told them they had no right to end my childhood, because childhood was brief enough as it was. Also my mom said that she didn't tell him that his bar mitzvah was silly and that he really wasn't a man. At 13 you can't drive, drink, vote, or even register for the selective service. That hit home and he apologized to me the next day.

Sorry, to hear that. Did you have a fire? :frown1:

You should this year as you have received the best possible gift of the season . . . True Love.:cool: :smile::wink:

? :confused: What a bizarre concept. I have never heard of parents telling a child such an awful thing.

I guess it depends on the ghetto you live in. :confused: I had cousins in Newark, NJ and Phila., PA both always had Christmas with a tree and lights in their apartment windows and turkey etc., etc. Each child usually got one article of much needed clothing and one or 2 toys. One aunt even his all decorations in cluding the tree until Christmas Eve and put up everything when the kids went to sleep. That way it looked like Santa had bought everything on his sleigh.

14. Damian Johnson

Damian Johnson New Member

I stopped believing in Santa when I was 7years old and I caught him late one night snogging my mother
    It was my dad dressed up and a bit drunk trying to put out the pressies and it went horribly wrong

15. Osiris

Gold Member

At the age of five. My mother sent me into her study to get some of her personal stationery. To my surprise, under her pricey paper was the same letters that Santa always left on our presents and empty cookie plates. I didn't speak to my mother for a week after all the years of being told not to lie and then she does it.

My grandmother saved the day by saying Santa can't make it to every house and he charges all parents to act in his stead and deliver the toys he brings in case he can't get there. When I asked how the toys got there if he didn't, she said...

"Your father works for the post office and he makes sure they get delivered for Santa."

I forgave my mother, but never sat on Santa's lap again.

I believe in the spirit of Christmas, I believe in the well wishing spirits for children and to that end, will advocate Santa, but I do not tell them that Santa will be bringing the presents. The wife does and I am waiting for the day I have to deliver the speech my nana had to deliver to me.

16. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

Ghetto kids had no Santa?

From what I've heard it's usually other kids that tell you. Why'd they tell you?

Why not? You always knew it was your parents?

Yes Virginia, I mean Koval, there is a Santa Claus. Don't think I ever believed in the Easter bunny.

That is so sad when tragedies happen around the holidays.

Why didn't your parents create that fantasy for you?

There's always some kid that has to break the bad news.

Awe. Poor little NJ was crying.

Isn't that the truth. I hear some kids now find out there's no Santa at like 5 or 6.

lol Nothing like a mom's vengeance.

It reminds of that song. "I saw mommy kissing Santa Claus".

You were a good little detective.

haha

17. No_Strings

Gold Member

It simply never made sense - the idea of Santa was always impossible to me. I'm more surprised that anyone would truly believe in Santa.
    Another answer of mine.

18. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

You were deprived. But a very smart child. :smile: Did you parents tell you about Santa when you were really young, like 3 or 4 years old? Maybe visit him in a store or watch a tv program about him?

19. No_Strings

Gold Member

Yes, I think they did but I never believed them. I wouldn't say not believing my parents lies about a fictional character should be classed as being "deprived". I've always fully enjoyed my Christmas' and the related festivities even as a young child; I always viewed Mr. Claus as precisely what he was - a fairytale.

I've never interacted with a 'Santa's Grotto' in anyway, nor have I ever felt the desire. :smile:

20. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I can't remember how old I was, but I do remember that we lived in an apartment without a chimney and I asked my mom how Santa gets in and she said that he turns into an ant and crawls under the door.:biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted