When HIV POZ Guys Lie about their status...

bklynbigballs

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have friends that are HIV + because some scum either lied about their status or never bothered to find out.

No, you have friends who are HIV+ because they had unsafe sex with someone who either lied about their status or never bothered to find out. No one deserves HIV but everyone needs to take responsibility for their own health and it sounds like these friends of yours were acting irresponsibly.

It's treatable but you still die sooner then you should have.

It's still a death sentence, HIV does not equal Herpes.

If a condom breaks, you can go to the emergency room immediately and receive a nPEP treatment that will essentially rid your body of the HIV virus if you catch it in time. Failing that, the protease inhibitor cocktail regimen -- if administered in time -- will keep you alive just as long as anyone who is negative.

Generally people who take responsibility for their health do just fine one way or the other. People who rely on strangers for their own AIDS prevention aren't the sort of people who take care of themselves on a variety of levels.

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think it should be mandatory that an AIDS test be part of a physical. It should be no different than any other test: Mammography, High Blood Pressure, Chloresterol, etc...
Sklar

That's a beautiful idea and it doesn't alienate people like the idea of laws for people with HIV (not to sound rude in reference to NJ's post). It would be great for those who honestly don't know they've contracted it but, for those that do find out, it's still up to them to disclose the information to others. :/ So yea, it's pretty much a man-up and ask thing again. Say, you feel you can be potentially involved with Person X. When you feel that, it's probably best to request you -both- be tested. Not just person X, because that indicates a level of distrust and inequality. And hey, it could even be the new way to gauge a person's interest in you. :p

Anyways, yes, this should be the norm in physicals. After all, AIDS clinics give free tests anyway, right? So it's not a money issue.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If a condom breaks, you can go to the emergency room immediately and receive a nPEP treatment that will essentially rid your body of the HIV virus if you catch it in time. Failing that, the protease inhibitor cocktail regimen -- if administered in time -- will keep you alive just as long as anyone who is negative.

Generally people who take responsibility for their health do just fine one way or the other. People who rely on strangers for their own AIDS prevention aren't the sort of people who take care of themselves on a variety of levels.
Yes, you can get a post-exposure prophylaxis, but ideally you need to start it within one hour of exposure. I just read about that and I'm no expert. The other problem is all those drugs can get expensive, not to mention not being able to get health insurance after you get HIV. So even if you can live almost as long as someone HIV negative, it is far from ideal.

That's a beautiful idea and it doesn't alienate people like the idea of laws for people with HIV (not to sound rude in reference to NJ's post). It would be great for those who honestly don't know they've contracted it but, for those that do find out, it's still up to them to disclose the information to others. :/ So yea, it's pretty much a man-up and ask thing again. Say, you feel you can be potentially involved with Person X. When you feel that, it's probably best to request you -both- be tested. Not just person X, because that indicates a level of distrust and inequality. And hey, it could even be the new way to gauge a person's interest in you. :p

Anyways, yes, this should be the norm in physicals. After all, AIDS clinics give free tests anyway, right? So it's not a money issue.
I don't think the problem is with people dating and taking things slow. It's the people that go out and get drunk and have sex because they are not thinking straight and don't want to wait to get tested.

How often do people actually get physicals? Some people go years between physicals, so having an HIV test during physicals won't help much. Free testing is available. Some people are scared to get tested because they don't want to face a positive result.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's treatable but you still die sooner then you should have.

It's still a death sentence, HIV does not equal Herpes.

HIV is not a death sentence. We have to stop with this condemning mindset. The only people who aren't catching HIV are those who aren't fucking... or the lucky ones who have been doing things safely all along. Even the most careful of people can contract this disease. This isn't the late 80s anymore when the world finally started to pay attention to AIDS and had almost no information to go on. I know a number of people who are positive who have lived more than 25+ years. They're healthy, living their day-to-day lives, and are still sexually active. Not everyone with HIV eventually dies of AIDS or even an HIV related disease either.

Please don't think I'm attacking you personally for I don't think you meant your message to sound this harsh. I'm not trying to give any excuses for anyone who is positive for not telling the truth about their status. But I tip my hat to anyone who is and has no problem unveiling that info to others. I've seen my share of double standards, self hate and hypocrisy in the gay community regarding those who are positive and it's ugly. That goes far beyond sexual rejection.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OK, I'll bite. I haven't written much here in a while. This gets under my craw for some reason, as I'm beginning to explore a dating situation with another guy who is HIV+ while I'm HIV-.

I am a child of the 1980's. Coming of age as a gay man then was extremely scary. There was a "gay cancer" running through the community killing, as it seemed at the time, indiscriminately. No one knew how you caught it. No one really understood what it was. For a while in the early '81 it was called GRID "Gay-Related Immune Deficiency." All we knew is that if you were gay, it looked like you were going to die. Then the CDC in '82 started to call it AIDS recognizing the same syndrome in Haitians and Africans.

Most of the mid-1980's was about trying to find out what caused it and how to avoid catching it. And AZT came out, the first anti-retroviral, (it's still in use). This began real treatment for HIV/AIDS in the mid to late 80's.

Meanwhile during that decade, gay communities throughout the country were decimated. Most gay men who were survivors had many, many friends who had died before treatment became available and more efficient. Still we have people dying in our communities even though we have drugs. Drugs don't manage the infection 100% of the time. Many people can't tolerate the side effects and some don't respond to treatment.

Coming of age through this crisis has shaped my sexuality completely. I learned that oral sex was a safe alternative to anal and that, I believe, has kept me HIV-. Also I've always used condoms for anal sex, whether I was top or bottom. Many of my friends have died because they got horny, stopped caring, got tired of living in fear of being infected and stopped using condoms. I believe it's called "condom fatigue?" After a while the intensity of avoiding infection can begin to take over and ruin sex. I've been there.

Now, I was taught early on when I came out to use a condom every time for anal sex no matter who you are with. Disclosure with tricks wasn't an issue then because I knew I was doing my part to be "safe." In relationships though, anyone who would omit the truth that he was HIV- would not bode well for the relationship. Sure I would insist on condoms for anal sex. The issue for me was about honesty.

The lesson here from an older timer gay male who came of age during the thick of the AIDS Crisis is that you should take responsibility for your own health. DO NOT RELY ON OTHERS TO DISCLOSE THEIR STATUS. I MEAN IT THAT YOU ARE AT LEAST 50% TO BLAME IF YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE ANAL SEX WITHOUT A CONDOM. THERE HAS BEEN MORE THAN ENOUGH INFORMATION OUT THERE FOR DECADES SO THAT EVEN SIXTH GRADERS KNOW THAT YOU SHOULD USE A CONDOM EVERY TIME.

The fact is that there is a large population of people walking around unaware that they are HIV+. They think they are HIV- and aren't "lying" to you when they disclose this. They are simply ignorant. DON'T BE AN IGNORANT FOOL AND IGNORE SAFER SEX PRECAUTIONS.

And even in the context of a relationship even if you believe your partner who is HIV- isn't cheating on you or being unsafe, you are still at risk having anal sex without a condom. Mistakes happen. People cheat in the heat of the moment. They are fallible. Take charge of your health and assume that any lover could seroconvert at any time. USE CONDOMS FOR ANAL SEX, PERIOD.

Barebacking isn't safe period. I don't care what arguments you present to me about selecting the proper kind of partners and the care with which you do things. BAREBACKING IS NOT SAFE.

Until there is a vaccine, you put yourself at risk of catching HIV every time you bareback.

This "old queen" has spoken out of hard earned experience after watching friends die needlessly over the years. And I'm speaking out of my experience as someone who has, up to this point, been able to avoid becoming HIV+ while remaining sexually active, even with men who I've known to be HIV+.

It's not rocket science. It's simple. Use a condom every time for anal sex. And yes, mistakes happen and some people will get infected even when using a condom and even with the emergency cocktails given after a mishap. That's part of life. No one ever guaranteed this would be an easy risk-free ride.

And just remember, none of us gets out of here alive.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've been poz for at least 25 years, probably longer, judging by behavior. I was there before there was anything to worry about, remember the earliest days vividly, and have lived long enough to be the last of my peers from our 20s (except one). At this point in my life, I'm essentially sound. But I've flatlined twice in my career with the virus and, at 48, am living with many unanticipated consequences of various fashions in medications. These include a diminution in cognitive function, odd redistribution of fat in my face and extremities, chronic pain and a budding cardiovascular condition, having just had my first angioplasty. I no longer make ten-year plans.

I am also a long-standing member of AIDSmeds.com, which is the best place for factual, up-to-the-minute, peer-reviewed scientific information. There is also a support forum which, for the most part, cuts through the bullshit and lays everything out straight. It's not the place for a casual browser or anyone who holds any false illusions about topics like disclosure, blame-seeking or the "manageability" of what remains a terminal condition.

Disclosure remains a private decision at the discretion of the individual(s) involved. Moralistic or ethical mandates insisting one disclose no matter the particulars of the situation will never work in a society where the individual trumps the group.

Before people jump on this post, let me state that I choose to disclose my status before any sexual activity. It's a personal imperative for me --yay!-- good for me! But I understand the reasoning behind not disclosing in certain situations, and it's based on some solid scientific points.

Some activities are totally safe and pose no risk of transmission. These include JO and frot, deep kissing and playing with toys, WS and fisting. None of these activities have even neglible or theoretical risks concerning HIV, though many bacterial infections and STDs remain a possibility.

Getting a blowjob is completely risk free; giving a blowjob remains a theoretical risk, meaning that it has never been conclusively been proven. This remains a hot-button issue which, for the purpose of this discussion, I'd care to avoid, except to say that saliva has enzymes and acids that render HIV inactive, so on top of the theoretical risk of transmission is the theoretical chance of giving a blowjob with no saliva whatsoever in one's mouth, something I've never encountered in over 30 years of sucking cock.

One of the issues with these activities is that many people will not stop with them, and push into other activities that might pose greater risk, the whole "caught up in the moment" argument. It's compelling, but not conclusive to me. And it would seem that if one has the wherewithal to negotiate a fisting scene, for example, it isn't beyond reason that limits could be respected (if they're discussed: another of my imperatives).

I hear guys say all the time that they can't serosort because there are no available poz guys to be found where they are. I have a hard time believing this, frankly, as I've never seen anything similar in my own experience. I think that they (subconsciously or not) reject candidates who seem too obviously poz (through facial wasting, for instance) because of an internalized stigma associated with HIV, among other things.

Because there is a stigma. It's as great now, if not greater, than it was in 1988, when there were no treatments and most people died in fewer than two years from diagnosis. For every guy who's "cool with poz" there are ten who profess "D&D free, UB2". I see those profiles, chuckle and move on; to me they are deluding themselves with a false sense of security and are pushing a kind of undisguised bigotry that, in any other context would be totally unacceptable. Again, I can get all the men I want, but many guys cannot. I've seen guys in tears over this: it's totally real.

Does the sting of stigma justify not disclosing? I don't believe so, but I'm not in their shoes. And since condoms, when used correctly, completely protect someone from HIV (yeah...they do), they can have a few moments of living without the shame, guilt and self-loathing that comes from stigma. It wouldn't be honest to me, but I'm not them, and they have to live with themselves and their wish to escape reality. And since they are not putting anyone at risk, it's essentially a benign lie to everyone except themselves.

This all changes dramatically in my opinion, when condoms are deleted from the picture. Unprotected anal and vaginal sex is playing with explosives: eventually it's gonna hurt somebody.

But there is very good science that suggests that once someone's viral load in undetectable (fewer than 40 parts per ml of blood tested), they are no longer infectious. This is still new stuff, and there hasn't been enough testing to prove it one way or another (such testing would be completely unethical), but it is a theory that is backed by much anecdotal (uncontrolled) evidence provided by serodiscordant (poz/neg) couples. My opinion is that the only protected sex is sex with a condom, but that's just my opinion and one that is at odds with several scientists.

One of the most irritating and over-used expressions in the English language is "You gotta understand...". No, actually, you don't have to understand anything. Much of what I've written might strike you as excuse-making. It's not: I abhor excuses. And I'll not attempt to legitimize behavior that I don't practice, especially when the health and well-being of others is involved. But I can rationalize behavior that I can't personally condone. In a different context, many (probably most) of you can do the same. But the specter of AIDS is such a horror that no one wants to put themselves in the shoes of someone battling the virus every day. The stigma is too intense, the fear is too irrational (however it may be justified), the stakes are too high, and we live in a society that distrusts science (though few even understand the scientific method due to our terrible educational system).

There is also something acknowledged in the HIV community but not discussed outside of it: many, if not most people living with HIV also live with some sort of mental illness. Many many live with addiction issues, are bipolar, take excessive risk, live with depression and who suffer from a complete lack of self-esteem. Many are survivors of childhood sexual abuse. I am certain that the sexual abuse I lived with growing up has altered the way I see myself and has had an effect on my sexual interests, and know many others who have suffered similarly. Again, this is not to excuse antisocial behavior, but it helps explain some of it. And, of course, mental illness comes with its own entrenched stigma. It's percieved as a character flaw to even acknowledge mental illness, but no one considers diabetes to be a "pancreatic flaw".

The fact that HIV/AIDS is still considered a gay disease (despite increasing infection rates in the straight African-American and Latino communities) is particularly unfortunate. It compounds the stigma many already feel about having sex with one's one sex as a man (lesbians have extremely low rates of HIV, it's not their issue). Is it really possible to be a 100% completely well-adjusted gay man in a society that refuses to acknowledge his deepest committment, where one walks a razor's edge of being "masculine enough" every day, and where living one's life with honesty and integrity automatically disqualifies him from nearly all participation in organized religion?

It doesn't surprise me that many of the most materialistic people today are gay men: they find the personal validation in possessions that society denies them more generally. Many obsess on their appearance, their clothes, their jobs, their cars and their homes because it's all they have left. And it's no surprise that such people have unrealistic expectations about sex and drugs, which brings us back to HIV/AIDS.

In the 80s there were calls to tattoo us or quarantine us, or both. It sounds as if there are a few members here who wouldn't disagree with that logic today, even if they wouldn't dare say so in an open forum. There are those who point to an excessive lifestyle and say that those who are infected brought it on themselves through carelessness or indifference, and there are those who think that there are "innocent victims" in the pandemic without realizing that the opposite must therefore be true (and I've had explosive PMs about that here).

But I maintain that HIV is not a consequence of certain behaviors that only certain people practice. The process of infection is the same as that of reproduction (though, admittedly, anal sex mimics it without duplicating it), which is considered life-affirming. The sexual impulse is hard-wired in the reptilian part of our brains. It's not something easily subliminated, and it's not something most of us would choose to live without.

It's a virus, not an indictment and not a judgment. There is no cure, and none of the treatments have been proven to be both benign in terms of side-effects and efficacious in terms of controlling its spread within its host. Wouldn't it be great if it were different? Sure, but it can only really be controlled within the general population through education and pragmatic prevention efforts which, more than 25 years in, still seem as impossible as they were at the beginning.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
HIV is not a death sentence. We have to stop with this condemning mindset. The only people who aren't catching HIV are those who aren't fucking... or the lucky ones who have been doing things safely all along. Even the most careful of people can contract this disease. This isn't the late 80s anymore when the world finally started to pay attention to AIDS and had almost no information to go on. I know a number of people who are positive who have lived more than 25+ years. They're healthy, living their day-to-day lives, and are still sexually active. Not everyone with HIV eventually dies of AIDS or even an HIV related disease either.

Thats like saying a man who is on death row had a retrial (and lost), was left on death row, and died of natural causes.

He extended his life on death row thanks to that trial, but he was still (in the end) committed to a death sentence.

I'm not saying that you can't live with HIV/AIDS for a very long time, but I think that several people have suggested that its just another standard STD that no one should really think the wiser to as long as you get tested occasionally. (More or less equivalent to "Who gives a fuck about AIDS")
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bbucko- That was for moving, thank you. I wish you the best in your "fight".

Reactions: malakos

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Excellent posts, simcha and Bbucko. Thanks for taking the time to write them.

briefs

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Bbucko and simcha summed it up really, really well.

Like Bbucko, I've been poz more than half my life, over 26 years. I'm 53 now. I always tell a guy in advance that I'm poz so he's informed, but that's my choice. My peer group learned very early to assume every playmate potentially had any number of STD's. It was our responsibility to set our own limits and risks.

I play safer, including WS, fisting, bondage, toys. None of my mates have sero-converted, including my ex, with whom I had a 10-year run.

I also have some hiv-related issues that caused me to stop working (that was not fun at all!). Daily fatigue and weakness (not just being a bit tired), peripheral neuropathy pain, ED (a big challenge), malaise, and chronic dysthymia. Regardless, I have an upbeat outlook. I always figure there are better meds or treatments coming up.

Now I'm trying to negotiate staying independent solely on Social Security. It covers everything. Except my housing cost. (My private policy just termed-out). I don't want to move right now, so friends and family are helping to work out a short-term plan until Section 8 comes through.

HIV/AIDS services have had to cope with dropping contributions in recent years. The Federal Government has fortunately re-authorized the Ryan White Health Care Act each year, otherwise I couldn't afford my meds, which retail for $30K a year!

Section 8 applications have been growing but funding hasn't kept up, so the wait time is said to be 2-5 years.

Imagine, all of you, finding out you have a chronic illness or other medical issue. You have to stop working and have no income. You apply to Social Security for disability. Did you know it takes at least 6 months for your application to be approved or denied? Do you have 6 months of savings to support yourself? Do you know that once your application is approved it will take another 2 years to qualify for Medicare? That means you need to keep your health insurance that long. I only mention this because, even though I knew about it, that time was enormously stressful. I'm so glad I was frugal enough to have some savings. Five years later I still have a tiny bit of savings and also no debt.

Okay, enough.

Look, everyone, just enjoy sex and being sexual as much as you can. Be aware of the risks but not paranoid. Most of you, thankfully, will never get HIV, if you are street-smart, informed and self-respecting.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
Wow. Applause for Simcha and Bbucko for sure (and I'm so happy to hear about the funding for meds)! Also for everyone who is upfront about this disease. I couldn't imagine having to say it, knowing that peoples' reactions are most likely going to be:

1) "Get away from me and I'm telling everyone I know to stay away from you!"
2) "Omg so you're going to die????? When?????"

People should go out there and read about a different disease/infection/virus a day, starting with the sexually transmitted ones. They need to understand the infection risks, preventions, symptoms, treatments and prognoses. I don't know anyone who is HIV+ personally, but I know that it's not some super-virus. Everything we do is social, and it's absolute hell to isolate someone by being afraid of them.

*sigh* only in a perfect world will there be understanding. Hell, we're still working on racism let alone all the other stigmas in the world.

On another note, I'm glad it's not a law to have to tell your partner if you're positive or not. That would really discourage people from getting tested. By law, you don't have to tell anybody if you're HIV+ or have AIDS. If you want to be a dentist or a cook, no one needs to know.

I also applaud people who aren't afraid to get intimate with someone they know to be HIV+. Show some love. And if you die from it, at least you died for a good cause.