When is enough enough

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
US woman gives birth to octuplets

A US woman has given birth to eight babies, becoming just the second person recorded to have delivered a set of living octuplets.

The six boys and two girls were delivered by caesarean section in Los Angeles, California.

The babies, who weighed in at between 1.8lbs (820g) and 3.4lbs each, are all said to be doing well.

They were screaming and kicking around very vigorously, according to a doctor at the hospital in suburban Bellflower.

The mother, whose identity has not been revealed, has asked that limited information be released about the births.

A hospital spokeswoman described the deliveries, which took place in the space of five minutes, as "truly amazing".

Three of the babies - who were nine weeks premature - need help breathing, but all were otherwise doing well, she said.

Doctors say the babies will be in incubators for at least six weeks and that the mother is planning to breast feed them all.

'Just enjoy it' The world's first live-born set of octuplets were delivered in Houston, Texas, in 1998.
One baby died about a week later - but the surviving children celebrated their 10th birthday in December.

Their Nigerian-born mother, Nkem Chukwu, said the new parents had much to look forward to, the Associated Press agency reported.
"Just enjoy it. It's a blessing, truly a blessing," Mrs Chukwu was quoted as saying. "We'll keep praying for them."

Y'all know how much I love children and want to have my own . . . but I don't want a litter of them. :yikes: I don't think that's a sign I would be a lousy mother, I think it's a sign of common sense. I've always said I was pro-coice but could never have an abortion. I think fetal reduction is different though. I would do that. I know you never know until you are in that exact position but if a doctor told me that all 8 embryos which had been implanted were viable. I don't think I'd be jumping for joy. :frown1:

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Multifetal pregnancies have skyrocketed over the past two decades as a consequence of infertility treatments. Multifetal pregnancy reduction has lowered the complications considerably. Here, we review the historical and current literature to determine reasonable statistics upon which to counsel patients
RECENT FINDINGS: Several papers in the past year have updated the database of outcomes, shown that prenatal diagnosis by fluorescent in-situ hybridization prior to reduction improves outcomes and examined the psychological and emotion frame through which patients view the circumstances and options available to them.
SUMMARY: Multifetal pregnancy reduction in experienced hands continues to dramatically improve the outcome of multiple pregnancies. The development of coping strategies for patients to deal with complex options and risks challenging their religious and other core beliefs now allows us to better counsel patients.

Abortion
An abortion is the termination of a pregnancy by the removal or expulsion of an embryo or fetus from the uterus, resulting in or caused by its death. An abortion can occur spontaneously due to complications during pregnancy or can be induced. Abortion as a term most commonly refers to the induced abortion of a human pregnancy, while spontaneous abortions are usually termed miscarriages.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
she's gonna go crazy after the first month and end eating at least three of those babies hamster style.

ML

ya know pronatalist is gonna be all over this post.

Last edited:

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Eight is most definately enough!
that is crazy. it's going to cost those people an ungodly fortune
for those kids. i hope they have the money to have a lot of hired help.
they are going to need it. and breast feeding ALL of them? that might be
optimistic. the woman would never do anything else.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
she's gonna go crazy after the first month and end eating at least three of those babies hamster style.
ML
ya know pronatalist is gonna be all over this post.

I was gonna include a poll, but I can see by your response that is so not necessary. :lmao: I can't believe she thinks she can breast feed 8 babies! She's only got 2 nipples, unless the article forgot to mention she is actually a cocker spaniel. :tongue:

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
what in the fuck.... IVF gone awry.... now please tell me she doesn't want to have more kids, or that she doesn't have any previous kids???

She's gonna try to breastfeed 8 babies? Have her breasts been replaced with an UDDER? :rofl: Now they only have to be born to a 70yo women to really ramp up the press.... :rolleyes:

Just imagine now if Michelle Duggar was having 8 babies at once everytime she got pregnant :33: She'd have what, like 130 kids or something now? :tongue: :rofl:

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Eight is most definately enough! That is crazy. it's going to cost those people an ungodly fortune for those kids. i hope they have the money to have a lot of hired help. they are going to need it. and breast feeding ALL of them? that might be optimistic. the woman would never do anything else.
I doubt that they have the finances to afford 8 babies at once. Few people do. I bet even wealthy parents would have taken pause and wondered, "what have we done!?"

IVF is expensive and not all embryos are always viable once implanted, that's why they implant so many at one time. Most people can't afford to have it done more than once or twice. IMO- If they had money to burn they would have chosen to implant a more manageable 2 or 3 embryos.

what in the fuck.... IVF gone awry.... now please tell me she doesn't want to have more kids, or that she doesn't have any previous kids???
She's gonna try to breastfeed 8 babies? Have her breasts been replaced with an UDDER? :rofl: Now they only have to be born to a 70yo women to really ramp up the press.... :rolleyes:

Just imagine now if Michelle Duggar was having 8 babies at once evertime she got pregnant :33: She'd have what, like 130 kids or something now? :tongue: :rofl:[/quote]IMO - Michelle Duggar is a sick fundamentalist freak. :mad: :yikes:

She said breastfeed; but what I am hoping is that she will use a breast pump and bottle feed the babies. Or rather have friends, family, and neighbors help her bottle feed the babies. That would make some sense. The babies would still get the health benefit but not the bonding. :frown1:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
YOWZER!!

Absolutely no way would I do a fetal reduction. It would be like chosing, "Hey, do you you want Alf, Samantha or Joseph to die?"

Then again, I would never let then implant that many embryos in me. That's frigging stupid, if you ask me. Why do they do that? To save on money/procedures??

No way. One or two implants, max. Then if they don't "take", go back again.

- - - - -

Lucky for me, I've already got my munchkins, so I don't have to worry about fertility treatments.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Eight is most definately enough!
that is crazy. it's going to cost those people an ungodly fortune
for those kids. i hope they have the money to have a lot of hired help.
they are going to need it. and breast feeding ALL of them? that might be
optimistic. the woman would never do anything else.

I thought of "Eight Is Enough" too! :biggrin1: (child of the 80s, what can I say?)

As for the finances for raising all those kids, the family will probably have their own TV show now on TLC or something, so their finances will be taken care of.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
I thought of "Eight Is Enough" too! :biggrin1: (child of the 80s, what can I say?)

As for the finances for raising all those kids, the family will probably have their own TV show now on TLC or something, so their finances will be taken care of.

Move over, John and Kate...

Someone else had eight screaming, kicking kids at once and no witty older sisters to help out :tongue:

Seriously, I've only seen that show a couple of times but one of the older twins is way beyond her age. She's hilarious.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Y'all know how much I love children and want to have my own . . . but I don't want a litter of them. :yikes: I don't think that's a sign I would be a lousy mother, I think it's a sign of common sense. I've always said I was pro-coice but could never have an abortion. I think fetal reduction is different though. I would do that. I know you never know until you are in that exact position but if a doctor told me that all 8 embryos which had been implanted were viable. I don't think I'd be jumping for joy. :frown1:

NJ - Sorry, 'Fetal Reduction' is exactly the same thing as abortion. It is aborting one (or more) fetus while leaving another (others) intact.

How can a person be OK with the idea of terminating some of their children and not others? If you had two post-natal babies and only enough resources to keep one comfortably alive would you kill one? Or would you try your damnedest to work something out?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As much as I love the show Jon & Kate + 8, not every family of multiples needs to have their own show. We have to say enough is enough at some point.
[quote=ManlyBanisters;1959197]NJ - Sorry, 'Fetal Reduction' is exactly the same thing as abortion. It is aborting one (or more) fetus while leaving another (others) intact.[/quote]Darn, I knew I should have gone back and re-done that poll as originally intended.

I guess the reason I think that it is different is that in the instance of fetal reduction the woman actually wants to be a mother. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that most women who have elective abortions do not want to be mothers. If you are doing IVF, you want desperately to be not just a mother; but the best mommy possible. I can see how faced with that decision you might think I can't be a good mommy to 8 babies at one time. That's all I am saying.

How can a person be OK with the idea of terminating some of their children and not others? If you had two post-natal babies and only enough resources to keep one comfortably alive would you kill one? Or would you try your damnedest to work something out?
In my mind that's totally different, but that's just me. In answer to your question, I'd put the alleged extra child up for adoption if I had to, to keep him/her alive.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
So it is OK to terminate fetuses when it gets you something you really want but not when it gets someone else out of something you really want but don't have?

Oh. Right.

You don't see a problem with that double standard?

StraightCock4Her

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I kill more clumps of human flesh every time I scrape my knee badly than are killed by each abortion.

And my knees hurt more considering early fetuses can't feel pain yet.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
one shot then i am off this topic.

selective reduction in high risk multiple births is used to give the viable fetus a chance at a full term delivery.

people can quip and joke or argue their stance on abortion, but in the end those very small (1.8lbs) extremely premature (at 9 weeks premature the survival rate is terrible) babies will face life long struggles to catch up developmentally. list it off - organ malformation, serious learning disabilities or mental retardation, immune disorders, multiple surgeries to correct the birth defects. the costs emotionally, financially and the suffering those babies will go through can't even be imagined.

those parent by making a choice to carry on with such a pregnancy are selfish and to be held in contempt. a loving parent, a responsible parent would have made the choice to give two of the children every possibility of a long healthy life. you simply can not allow sentimental ideals of every child deserves to be born cloud your judgment. at the stage where selective reduction is an option nobody is talking killing a baby, it's a grouping of cells with the possibility of becoming a human being.

in this case eight tiny human beings. connected to enough medical equipment to start eight hospitals. if they make it to three months of age the next 18 years won't be much more fun. *grumbles*

ml

Last edited: