when is violence towards your partner OK?

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
simple enough question.
what would make it ok?
violence could be anything from a thrown remote or slapped face, right through to beating them to death.

zdc00

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
I don't think you can ever justify violence, unless your own or someone else's life depends on it.

You mention a thrown remote. It is up to you if you want to destroy your own property, but if you throw the remote at him/her, it has the potential to cause pain, or worse; I would say no.
With the latter two, while slapping someone might be fine when both parties agree to it, be it for whatever reason, I don't see a reason to slap anyone with the purpose of violence.
As for beating someone to death, no. You are going too far, no matter what that person has done.

bwhip1011

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
When he steals your truck and company cell phone to go sleep with some woman. I wasn't violent towards him, but I destroyed his apartment. It really happened and we had each other arrested. He's not my partner anymore. :frown1:

fun21

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Self defense, but usually the best option is to leave rather than continue with physical confrontation.

Some rough sex could be fun to try as long as you both want to try it, but I don't think thats what your getting at, and I don't think it would be fun if you were violent.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Only if it's part of play in the bedroom. Outside the bedroom it's liable to get you arrested, as bwhip says. Anger and violence are only quick fixes to problems. They are like slapping a bandaid on a partly severed limb. Brains are required, and anger short circuits your brains.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
Yeah, because anyone who could murder a child would "clearly" have trouble fighting a woman. I though guns were the great equaliser?

I would not regard myself as the best moral authority since I see domestic violence as almost a spectator sport at best.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
No. Zero tolerance from me. You are violent to a partner, they are not your partner.

I have defended myself once, that was it, end of. I used to blame myself, she wanted me to, but I don't anymore.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
in with Mr. Drifterwood.

i can't find a reason where violence is an option. i'd like to think i would remove myself from the relationship before things deteriorated to the point of violence.

i don't consider self-defense an act of violence or rage. a person is just trying to prevent harm or remove themselves from a threatening situation. the intent is preservation not hostility or malice.

a person could cross the line from self-defense to violence if the confrontation went beyond the point of assuring your safety.

but in general.. i'm not even comfortable with drawn out fights with a partner. anything important enough to have a drawn out misery over is probably a reason to rethink the relationship. if the issue isn't important enough to leave.. ya just got to get over it.. the respect/feelings for ya partner take president of over who should take the garbage out and weekend plans.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For me it's never acceptable unless it's self defense. And it's actually only self defense if you disable them long enough for you and/or offspring or others to escape.
Sorry I spent too much time as a lawyer dealing with this and the how the law is written to change my mind.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
When they've been replaced by a pod person or are turned into a zombie*.

Otherwise, when they are inflicting or about to inflict an equivalent amount of violence on you and no safewords are involved.

* does not necessarily include religious conversions or conservative party membership.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My husband claims I cracked him in the jaw once when he wouldn't stop tickling me. I don't have a clear memory of this, but I think he is right. I also think it is justified. Violence begets violence. I am willing to hurt ANYONE who will not stop tickling me after I have repeatedly asked. That includes my significant other. The laughter from tickling is a hysterical response. Why would you drive someone you like to a state of hysteria? Oh well. Fist to face. Deal with it.

Never. Period. The end. Unless she was pointing a gun at you.