When it comes to God

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by GottaBigOne, Jul 20, 2004.

1. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was just wondering where everyone was on this subject. I personally am an Explicit atheist, which means I have no belief in any gods while asserting that the gods that I do know of do not exist. (An implicit atheist is someone who who does not believe in any gods but makes no assertion that they cannot exist.)
    Many people confuse the term agnostic which is actually not a middle ground between theism and atheism. Agnosticism is only the stance where one feels that knowledge of the true nature of gods is unnattainable to humans. This does not mean that they suspend decision on whether or not the believe in such a god. An agnostic theist is one who thinks that true knowledge of god is unnattainable but believes in a god anyway, usually citing divine revelation. An agnostic atheist is one who agrees with the agnostic theist except for the whole god existing anyway part.
    Hope i didnt forget any religions or forms of theism. I tried to include as much as possible.

2. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Protestant Christian--Baptist, and no, NOT Southern Baptist. LOL, although, I am a Baptist in the Southern United States, so I guess that does make me a Southern Baptist, but not a part of the Southern Baptist Convention. My church is aligned with both the American Baptist Church-USA and National Baptist Church.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Mormon.

4. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Baptized Catholic, but not devout; blame it on my father.

5. pmpn8ez

pmpn8ez New Member

Charismatic Christian...no snakes though.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

I couldn't vote, wish you had included a "spiritual but not religious" category. My religious views are not all that complicated- I believe in God, but I also believe all the religions (or at least most) are in practicality praying to the same guy. It is impossible for me to laud one religion over the others. Interesting topic, though.

7. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    Madam, you might fall under pantheism. It is basically what you described.

8. madame_zora

Gold Member

Okay, that was the one thing on the list I've never heard of! The closest "religion" I've found was Baha'i, which is what I usually identify as when asked, but no one usually knows what it is, so I just tell my view.

9. lacsap1

lacsap1 New Member

Albums:
    My grandmother was a pious Roman Catholic but my parents didn't practice any religion. Out of respect of grandmother I'm baptised as Roman Catholic, went to a Roman Catholic school with brothers (or is it brethrens) as teachers. Went to a Roman Catholic boarding school and all the time I'm never pushed to practice the religion. Not at school or at home. The school period wasn't bad or pushy. I enjoyed always reading the beautifull stories of the holy book the 1st hours at school and the only religious practice we had to do was a small grace during lunch at school. At home we didn't do anything like this. After my boarding school time I never ever practice any religion. Grandma died and now being a implicit atheist. I'm happy that I got the education, was a great school and also found my first prime school sweethart (Juan), but it didn't make me a believer.

10. jay_too

jay_too New Member

I consider myself a Christian, but I respect and value other religions. It would be difficult for me to tell one of my Jewish, Muslim, or Hindu friends that mine is the only way. Moreover, I do not believe this; but that there are many paths to God and an enlightened understanding.

As a child and teenager, I went with friends to Sunday school in a reform temple. Let me tell you that Sunday School rocked. The lesson was a problem dealing with human interrealtionships and sought the best solution. It was a full and free discussion with ideas pulled from the Talmud to suggest another path(s).

jay

BTW why did you separate Catholic and Protestant?

11. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because the two are separate. The protestant faiths do not submit to the authority of the church or the Pope so they can't be under the same "religion" I understand that it is all christianity but there are distinctions. I should have also included greek orthodox.

I just read up on it though and Pantheism is more the belief that the natural world is the only thing worthy of worship, like we should revere the beauty of the universe so I was mistaken. I had origianlly thought it also included those that were merely spiritual and believed in an ambiguous higher power, but I think it does not include any supernatural beings.

12. InnocentBystander

InnocentBystander New Member

Agnostic Theism for me.

I'm not gonna get into details why (No need to start a holy war!), but even if I'm only 20, I've long since 'lost the faith'.

13. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Golly gee, where's "T" when you need her...

Ouch, sorry, don't hit me, Ouch, I'll never do it again, Ouch :rolleyes:

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

Kinkguy, your wincing made my nipples hard! And haven't we slayed enough dragons on here lately?

15. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Just the joys of my twisted sense of humor....or not.

16. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Needing a point of clarification: I'm definitely an agnostic, but I'm a bit tossed up between the theistic and atheistic modifier. It might be more suitable to say that agnostic theists are those who are unsure and do not know for sure if we can have an accurate conception of a God, but that despite that uncertainty, they maintain some sense of beyond-the-human power thriving in the world. For example, I think humans have created many conceptions of what god-like force exists out there, despite countless numbers of disagreements and discrepancies on which makes what. I believe in standardized casuality; I think most events in the world are bound within a cycle of cause and effect.

At the same time, whether you call it "karma" or "fortune" or "the rule of three" or what not, there is a lot of stuff in the world that cannot be so easily explained. Whether these phenomena are attributable to a God being or not is uncertain, but... and I falter here for good words to explain... there is something bigger than us, bigger than our conceptions, that makes these things work. (It's like asking what made the Big Bang occur. Creationists cite God; naturalistis cite chemical forces and atmosphere conditions and life cycles. But isn't it strange that so many implicitly -- maybe indirectly -- linked phenomena came together so perfectly as to create such a spectacular event?)

I'm leaving my AT vote for now until I get some clarification -- anyone's free to bail me out here. Oh, and Gotta, you might want to include Baha'i Brith, Orthodox, and Wicca as religious choices.

What a strange Freudian slip of the fingers. The first time I typed the word "denominations," I accidentally spelled it d-e-m-o-n- ....

17. jonb

Gold Member

I'm none of the above.

18. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: Protestant Christian, Lutheran to be exact.

^_^

19. GottaBigOne

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dee, I would liek to thank you for your post. When I posted this topic I was hoping for discussion, or people's points of view. What you describe can indded be classified into Agnostic Theism. I persoanlly agree with you about the structure of the universe and existence being mind-boggling I just don't think that the answer is necessarily "super"natural. Are there "forces" keeping everything together?? Sure. Gravity is one of them, centrifrugal force is another. Why do these forces have to come from a supernatural being? Why can't they just exist for themselves and by themselves? A "god" is not needed to make the universe make sense, it makes sense by itself.

20. jonb

Gold Member

Well, IMO, the universe is exactly what we would see without a grand designer: It's completely random!

Draft saved Draft deleted