When it comes to God

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"A" can also refer to "self", as in asexual, so I would interpret "adeist" as meaning self is the true god, but I don't know if that's right.

Allhazzardi, how did you come to be a Taoist? I find it intruguing how much diversity we have here!

AllHazzardi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by madame_zora+Oct 27 2004, 06:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Oct 27 2004, 06:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>"A" can also refer to "self", as in asexual, so I would interpret "adeist" as meaning self is the true god, but I don&#39;t know if that&#39;s right.
[post=261480]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

A means without, or not. In asexual (reproduction), it means (reproduction) without sex.

You may be thinking Auto, which means self.

<!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora
@Oct 27 2004, 06:51 PM
Allhazzardi, how did you come to be a Taoist? I find it intruguing how much diversity we have here&#33;
[post=261480]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

I actually was Taoist long before I ever called it that, but I knew that&#39;s what it was once I had read the Tao Te Ching(or at least, a reasonable english translation). It just always was the way I did things, or the way I thought things should be done, or the way things appeared to me.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Jul 22 2004, 09:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Jul 22 2004, 09:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-GottaBigOne@Jul 21 2004, 02:29 AM
I just read up on it though and Pantheism is more the belief that the natural world is the only thing worthy of worship, like we should revere the beauty of the universe so I was mistaken. I had origianlly thought it also included those that were merely spiritual and believed in an ambiguous higher power, but I think it does not include any supernatural beings.
Pantheism as observed in many congregations does indeed believe in &#39;supernatural beings&#39;. (See my above post.) They revere a god, but the goddess is a more powerful force. The Pantheistic Congregations of America considers Pantheism to be a modern pagan religion. They finally realise that Wicca does not, in fact, have the unbroken three millennia-old tradition that they formerly touted, but is a nature religion concocted in relatively recent times.
[post=249192]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Main Entry: pan·the·ism
Pronunciation: &#39;pan(t)-thE-"i-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French panthéisme, from panthéiste pantheist, from English pantheist, from pan- + Greek theos god
Date: 1732
1 : a doctrine that equates God with the forces and laws of the universe
2 : the worship of all gods of different creeds, cults, or peoples indifferently; also : toleration of worship of all gods (as at certain periods of the Roman empire)
- pan·the·ist /-thE-ist/ noun
- pan·the·is·tic /"pan(t)-thE-&#39;is-tik/ also pan.the.is.ti.cal adjective
- pan·the·is·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wicca/wicca.htm

I originally had an extremely long respose to this but I think the definition and the link will suffice and give some clarity. ;)

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
"Great Spirit, help me never to judge another until I have walked in their moccasins" ~ Sioux Indian Prayer
"We do not own the earth, we are part of it"

After reading the posts on here I realize why I try to avoid religious debates. People believe what they need to believe to help them feel like they have a place/purpose in this world. I am a firm believe in "Harm none, do what thou wilt" and the power of 3 (what ever you do it will return threefold). I think religions should unite us not seperate us. What I don&#39;t understand is people&#39;s ability to think the only "right" answer is what they beleive. I always thought acceptance and tolerance were principles taught in all religions. Okay, I&#39;m gonna shut up now. Just treat other people the way you would want to be treated. :D

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi@Oct 29 2004, 09:33 AM
"Great Spirit, help me never to judge another until I have walked in their moccasins" ~ Sioux Indian Prayer
[post=261687]Quoted post[/post]​
I&#39;ve never heard that one. ::logs another wannabe:: You see, there are many non-Indians out there which market themselves as shamans, never mind that the word shaman is of Tungusic origin.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by jonb+Oct 29 2004, 08:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonb &#064; Oct 29 2004, 08:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jeepwranglerboi@Oct 29 2004, 09:33 AM
[post=261687]Quoted post[/post]​
I&#39;ve never heard that one. ::logs another wannabe:: You see, there are many non-Indians out there which market themselves as shamans, never mind that the word shaman is of Tungusic origin.
[post=261703]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

I have never claimed to be Native American or a shaman. I have studied shaministic rituals and I have a deep respect for Native American culture and religious beliefs. I think a lot can be learned from the Native American peoples. If that makes me a "wannabe" as you call it then I guess I am, however I would hope that you would find my respect and desire to learn from Native Americans appealing. Also, I found the quote on www.belief.net . It was a Daily Inspiration. Another one that I adore is, "We do not own the earth, we are part of it." I cannot remember who said it but it was a Native American chief.

LuckyLuke

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by AllHazzardi@Oct 27 2004, 04:43 PM
Luke:

Atheism=No God

A= No

Theo= God

Ism= Act or being
[post=261422]Quoted post[/post]​

Let&#39;s just say that I acknowledge a distinction in the original greek between theos and deos from whence the modern terms are derived. Like all concepts of classical Greece, the distinctions are subtle but important.

To put it simply, deos means God, theos means religion or the sacred. I do not believe in the concept of God in any way. But I do believe that religion itself is important for human beings. Thus, I&#39;m an adeist and not an atheist. (I suppose I&#39;m also rather pedantic). B)

I believe the confusion of the terms comes from the religious folk a few centuries ago who used the &#39;atheist&#39; label for any enemy as an insult. In that day, those enemies usually were atheists (in a world where non-belief in God was inconcievable and considered proof of madness). Now, that is no longer true, but the labels are seemingly permanently confused by those who care not to allow such a subtle distinction to be made.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Fact remains, it&#39;s not an actual prayer, and we&#39;re kinda defensive about this. It&#39;s even more annoying when Indians do it; in 2000, Nader couldn&#39;t get Indians to vote for him because his running mate&#39;s father marketed to wannabes.