When listening to music, is the singer's gender a factor?

Does a singer's gender affect your enjoyment of music?

• I'm female, prefer female singers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm male, prefer male singers.

Votes: 30 15.2%
  • I'm female, prefer male singers.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I'm male, prefer female singers.

Votes: 31 15.7%
  • As long as the music is good, I don't care.

Votes: 132 67.0%

• Total voters

Tenderhook

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm a guy and am listening to Kate Bush's The Kick Inside. It's a really cool album, but sometimes, I find her high voice irritating. Other female singers like Nina Simone, Carole King and Maria McKee and even Madonna (when I hear her, because I don't own any albums) aren't nearly as unsettling. It's almost like Kate Bush is too gifted for her own good.

So, does a singer's gender affect your enjoyment of music? I set up a little poll. Thanks.

ManiacalMadMan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In general, When listening to music I really don't care if the singer is male or female as long as the music is good. I do however prefer men a little more and when it is a woman I like them to have a slightly less high voice, alto is nice.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Unless it's opera and someone like Luciano Pavarotti or Andrea Boccelli I only listen to female singers.

There's one male singer who sings contemporary music who is pretty listenable; Michael Bublé.

Other than that I like women singing torch songs.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ah, good to see some other Kate Bush fans here, my partner can't stand her, so I only get to listen when he's not here. And he listens to Mariah Carey, go figure. I think probably the most amazing non-opera voice belongs to k. d. lang. Her most recent album, "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" is incredible.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I'm a macho guy so I tend to like the macho singers like k.d. lang.

Turn-offs: men singing songs like "I Am Woman (Hear Me Roar)"

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC_DEEP said:
I think probably the most amazing non-opera voice belongs to k. d. lang. Her most recent album, "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" is incredible.

It really is. Her cover of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" is one of the natural wonders of the world. LOVE kd.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Kick Inside is an amazing album -- but the voice on that album is the voice of a 17-year-old girl trying very hard to perform the art inside her gifted-beyond-her-years mind. With this specific album, I think the age of the performer has as much to do with the vocals as her gender. As she grew older, she developed much more control over her voice. (Although, sadly, I think her age and her years of smoking, are beginning to work against her.)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Matthew said:
It really is. Her cover of Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You" is one of the natural wonders of the world. LOVE kd.
I've been a Joni Mitchell fan for years, and "A Case of You" has always been a favorite, but when I saw kd live with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra a couple of years back (touring "Hymns" before it was actually published) her cover of Jane Siberry's "The Valley" just completely blew me away, one of the most incredible things I had ever heard.

SpeedoGuy, I like your list, too... going to see Bonnie Raitt this summer at Wolf Trap Center for the Performing Arts. WooHoo!!!!! Bonnie ROCKS!

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Pecker said:
I'm a macho guy so I tend to like the macho singers like k.d. lang.

Turn-offs: men singing songs like "I Am Woman (Hear Me Roar)"

i dunno. hearing mick jagger do "its raining men" might be entertaining in a twisted sorta way.

mainer1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is a cool thread! I get into singers who make me want to sing their songs...unfortunately, I have ZERO talent...they sing it for me. I guess, women singers dominate the business of singing. I love Sinatra, of course, the late great Joe Williams, both alpha men in the music business. Brains, balls, intensity and just raw amazing talent grab our minds.Male singers are out there too.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
mainer1 said:
This is a cool thread! I get into singers who make me want to sing their songs...unfortunately, I have ZERO talent...they sing it for me. I guess, women singers dominate the business of singing. I love Sinatra, of course, the late great Joe Williams, both alpha men in the music business. Brains, balls, intensity and just raw amazing talent grab our minds.Male singers are out there too.
I usually like women better but enjoy quite a few male singers. My exception is Country. I'm a closet country fan and like a few female artists but hearing a man sing it makes me ill.

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I prefer male singers. eg

Daryl Hall/John Oates
Prince
Mr. Big/Eric Martin
Richie Kotzen
Tenacious D/Jack Black
Various motown/soul singers
CCR/John Fogerty

And probably loads more, this is off the top of my head.

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I appreciate both male and female singers. But my top 10 artists/bands would probably be all men

jeremyA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
About the only female singer I like is Billie Holiday she had THE most amazing and sexiest voice and she looked stunning too.Mostly i don't like female singers as they don't usualy have the vocal strengh