When listening to music, is the singer's gender a factor?

Does a singer's gender affect your enjoyment of music?

• I'm female, prefer female singers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm male, prefer male singers.

Votes: 30 15.2%
  • I'm female, prefer male singers.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I'm male, prefer female singers.

Votes: 31 15.7%
  • As long as the music is good, I don't care.

Votes: 132 67.0%

• Total voters

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
jeremyA said:
About the only female singer I like is Billie Holiday she had THE most amazing and sexiest voice and she looked stunning too.Mostly i don't like female singers as they don't usualy have the vocal strengh

It's a personal thing of course, but I'd say Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Shirley Bassey and Anastacia Newkirk to name but four, would wipe the floor with most male singers for sheer vocal power.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
jeremyA said:
About the only female singer I like is Billie Holiday she had THE most amazing and sexiest voice and she looked stunning too.Mostly i don't like female singers as they don't usualy have the vocal strengh

I agree on all counts. While there are a number or female singers I like for random reasons, I find I'm far more critical of them than I am of male singers. I like people who sing in all ranges though, so male sopranos or female tenors are interesting to me. If a singer, male or female has a tremedous range, that's something that wins extra points too.

Probably my favorite female singer of late is Tori Amos, prior to her most recent two cds. She gets high marks for being able to write music and play piano far beyond the talent level of her peers (if in fact she has any in pop music). Not being stuck exclusively in common time is a nice break on the ears, and being able to write songs in other time signatures that don't sound like a time-signature exercise is a treat. I also love the license she takes in pronunciations.

spike

Cherished Member
Media
I guess I like both male and female singers....but if its rock...a guy should be singing...if its pop a girl should be singing...

8dot75

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Funny thing...
I have Slayer, Eminem,Madonna,Twista,Celine Dion,and Patsy Cline music in my playlist...
I'm not Biased as long as I like it.

D_Mallaber Manynuts

Experimental Member
Media
DC_DEEP said:
Ah, good to see some other Kate Bush fans here, my partner can't stand her, so I only get to listen when he's not here. And he listens to Mariah Carey, go figure. I think probably the most amazing non-opera voice belongs to k. d. lang. Her most recent album, "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" is incredible.

Amen to that. k.d. lang makes Bird on a Wire come alive. Beautifully sung and beautifully recorded.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The singers gender doesn't matter to me as long as it furthers the song.

Kate Bush and Tori Amos are wonderful singers whose voices are well suited to their ethereal music. I would not, however, want to hear either of them sing "Constant Craving", nor would K.D. Lang match the fragility needed for "This Womans Work", or "Silent All These Years"

I would be interested to hear K.D. sing "The Man With The Child In His Eyes".

Interesting side note, I remember reading something about Kate Bush having some hearing loss so she doesn't hear what we do when she sings.

quercusone

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I prefer male singers. Most girls just can't rock. However, a few chicks I do dig are PJ Harvey, Kim Deal, Bjork (especially the Sugar Cubes stuff), Kim Gordon, Lucinda Williams....so there are some good female singers. And I saw a band called Oakley Hall a few weeks ago. The chick singer was pretty good...but she moved real nice on stage and I really wanted to fuck her.....so....

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Tenderhook said:
I'm a guy and am listening to Kate Bush's The Kick Inside. It's a really cool album, but sometimes, I find her high voice irritating.

KB irritating ? What does Shakira's voice do to you ? Her visual appeal is unbeatable, but her voice is just horrible.

Pussycat Dolls, their lead singer is orgasmic, Nicole Scherzinger (Prescovia) is incredibly attractive.

Nitrofiend

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here's where I make a sharp gay turn almost unconditionally. I am far more attracted to and in admiration of male singers than female ones. But most of the male frontmen that really get me going are androgenous and have high voices or generally a lot of emotion and power. To me, girls just can't rock it with that kind of energy or feeling. I don't like their voices. I myself do sing, and I'm pretty affluent in music theory. I nitpick girl's voices wayyyy more than guys.

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I listen to very very predominantly male music and male themed (about sex/girls etc)

Prince is my god!

"Tonight you're a star, and I'm the big dipper"

<3

I also listen to lyrics more than the music. A song where it all fits together (lyrics and music) is awesome...eg Peach and Purple Rain...

gioppa

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
MOTORHEAD MOTORHEAD MOTORHEAD(play it loud and nobody can listen what happend),or kiss,but before starwai to heaven(led zeppelin)and after elvis...he is the king