Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
If you're still living at home or they're paying for your college you may decide to grin and bear it a little while longer. But if you're out on your own and independent, don't let anyone treat you like dirt no matter who they are.

My opinion exactly.

For now, they still give me house and board for free... So I suck it up and take all the crap that gets thrown my way (as mentioned in my previous post).

Once I have a solid financial buffer built up, it's a discreet goodbye via a note on the kitchen table, and not a farewell in person.

MTHgasm

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When Parents Are Too Toxic to Tolerate

By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.

With the holidays upon us, I thought it would be appropriate to post this article.

I have often said I wish I could divorce a certain verbally & emotionally abusive cousin. I finally did in 2007, I guess you could say I disowned her. I no longer go out of my way to be nice or even cordial to her. Sometimes it's difficult because her mom is my all time favorite aunt, but she and I have talked and she kind of understands. My mom however doesn't get it. :irked: She thinks that since we have so few family left I shouldn't excommunicate anybody. I've survived abusive relationships by walking away, why should I continue contact with an abusive family member?

As difficult as it might be to implement, I think that your own mental health and safety are of paramount importance. If that means you have to cut ties between you and your parent(s) so be it. Being a martyr doesn't win you a prize . . .unless of course you consider migraines and bleeding ulcers a prize.

Quite often as adults we create a new family without even realizing it. Your new family isn't necessarily the person you married or gave birth to, it's the people you choose to love, whom are no blood relation to you. The people you can count on no matter what to love and support you. Isn't that what a family is supposed to do?
:cool:

I hear you and I love your take.

My grandparents think they OWN me because they provide for me. Do it because you LOVE ME and not for the power it gives you. Sometimes I think I'll go live in the woods. I want to get out and not have them spend one more penny on me. They have their moments too. I would be an orphan but still c'mon.