When was the last time you called out sick from work?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
...and you really were not sick, just sick of work.

Today (Christmas Eve) I called out sick. I was planning to call out sick as of two weeks ago, but was going to go in today. I woke up this morning and did not want to deal with the nonsense. The boss will be mad, but he'll have to get over it. I don't even get paid for sick days, but I'd rather just have the time off.

I have off on Fridays and this will make a nice 5 days off. This week I will only have to work Wednesday and Thursday.
I'm off tomorrow too.:biggrin1:

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm fortunate that I work for a company that I enjoy working for. We finished up last Friday and I'm not due back to work until 2nd January. So I only call in sick when I really am sick.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm very sparing in the use of my sick leave. I only call in sick when I really feel bad. That's usually only a couple of days a year.

Why so sparing? Glad you asked.

In 1996 I was in a serious car accident that kept me out of work for 6 months. Because I had hardly ever called in sick I could easly use my accumulated sick leave to retain my job status and my full paycheck during those 6 months while I recuperated. It was a godsend not to have to endure financial worry while trying to regain my physical health.

therunningman

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
we all do work too damned much in the US. it's the day before xmas...what could possibly be going on at the office anyway.

i've only called in sick to work when i wasn't really sick in the last 10 years so I should practice what I preach but...I'm too uptight to do it.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Today (Christmas Eve) I called out sick. I was planning to call out sick as of two weeks ago, but was going to go in today. I woke up this morning and did not want to deal with the nonsense. The boss will be mad, but he'll have to get over it. I don't even get paid for sick days, but I'd rather just have the time off.

I don't know if companies are this "oppressive" anymore, but some I've worked for used to have a policy such that if you called in sick the day before a paid holiday you'd have to forfeit your holiday pay. :eek:

These days any "benefits" I reap all come from the same pocket (my own), so unless I'm on my deathbed, I'll be at work.

jorpollew

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For about 10 years, I never took days off, b/c my schedule used to be so flexible. But all that changed in Aug 2005, and since then, I've faked 1-2 days a year. Last time was a Tuesday in October.

I know that whenever I call out sick it effects the schedules of 6-7 co-workers. But, even though I don't have to, later in the week I always offer to make it up to them by covering an extra 30 minutes during their break or lunch. My co-workers love 45-minute breaks and 75-minute lunches! Plus, it keeps me in their good graces.

I'm very sparing in the use of my sick leave. I only call in sick when I really feel bad. That's usually only a couple of days a year.

Why so sparing? Glad you asked.

In 1996 I was in a serious car accident that kept me out of work for 6 months. Because I had hardly ever called in sick I could easly use my accumulated sick leave to retain my job status and my full paycheck during those 6 months while I recuperated. It was a godsend not to have to endure financial worry while trying to regain my physical health.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.....dude. You made me feel soooooooo GUILTY!! I may have to think twice before I take a phoney sick day again. Thanks for sharing that story. I'm glad you recuperated.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I don't recall a specific date either, but I remember it was due to a really bad inner ear infection. Imagine how terrible it feels to walk when extremely intoxicated -- blurry eyes, unfocused vision, can't concentrate, insane vertigo and nausea. I was bedridden for a few days.

_avg_

Sexy Member
Media
Once about every six weeks. I call them my "sick and tired" days. There's quite a few of those days with my job, but no one 'suffers' when I'm gone. And since I'm a better, more productive worker after 'em, my employer and I both win...