When you come out to people,

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by DarkAuron, Apr 13, 2007.

1. DarkAuron

DarkAuron New Member

are they suprised to find out? Everytime I come out to someone their response is "Really? I never would have guessed!". What about you?

2. patrick9999

patrick9999 Member

Albums:
    The first time I told a close friend (straight) it took me a 1/2 hour to convinvce him.

3. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I tend to guess at things pretty easily, especially about orientation. I don't think I've ever been surprised about people coming out... ok maybe years and years ago before I really understood that not all people are all the same....

4. RedBear

RedBear New Member

Albums:
    So far only one person has NOT been surprised when I came out to them. Being a ball-buster several people thought I was just joking around.

Of course, being a big, masculine guy, I am well beyond most people perceptions of what gay guys are.

5. txquis

Gold Member

50/50 for me.
    I think the fact that I had previously had girlfriends added to the confusion (on my part, too).
    I was surprised recently by some coworkers who had no idea.

6. DarkAuron

DarkAuron New Member

My friends had no problem finding out I'm gay, except my very conservative best friend. He got over it, though I made the mistake of accusing him of being gay (I fell in love with him and have reasons to think he is), but we've gone past that and are still best friends.

My mother, on the other hand, simply replied with "I figured" when I came out to her, then quickly asked if I was in love with my best friend. Mothers are amazing people..

7. smoothrnb

Gold Member

Albums:
    None of my friends/family were shocked when I told them. Several had suspected. I prepared them by giving them subtle hints (e.g., not talking about or dating women). I believe they were "waiting" for me to actually come out, and they have been very supportive.

8. B_josiah852

B_josiah852 New Member

Last time I told a co worker I was Bi, he spent the next two nights at my house.

9. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess I have been luckier than most. For me, I knew I was gay and my family knew and accepted from teh start, so I was able to be just me and people somehow just knew. It wasn't until college when I had a few problems but that is in the past and now it's all good.

10. keyhero

keyhero Member

Albums:
    When I told my friends I am BI, they could hardly believe it since we have been at orgies together, and Ihave had girlfriends obviously, it took me about two days to "prove" it to them by kissing a gay friend we have. After that they took it like if I just had told them "hey, I like strawberry icecream". As for my family, well, only two of my brothers know but it is that situation don´t ask don´t tell.

11. Kimahri

Gold Member

Albums:
    The overwhelming majority of my friends know, but are still not sure I'm serious about it. Most think it's some sort of phase that I am going thru. I mean, a couple accept it and life goes on, but some just can't believe it. I remember telling one guy and he was like...."Stop lying..no gay guy acts like you do."

12. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most people are surprised. I look like a middle-aged suburban hubby type. (As I've written before: I'm not neat, I'm not thin, I shop at Land's End.) But many then think about it, and say, in retrospect, it kinda makes sense.

13. VW53

VW53 Member

Albums:
    Most reactions I've had over the years are along the lines of "you're kidding." Not all, but most. I guess there's still a lot of sterotyping out there, though it is less so now than it was when I came out back in the mid-90s. My most recent shocker was while visiting an acquaintance in California - we had spent most of the day wrenching on a car I bought. We stopped by the grocery for some grilling supplies and he was going on about some woman in the store... I finally had to ask him if he KNEW that I was gay - I just assume most people I know know. He was totally shocked. I think it's kinda fun getting people's reactions. :smile:

14. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

If I knew you and could spend two nights at your house, I would, too.

15. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Ooooooooh, what a giveaway!

Draft saved Draft deleted