When You Feel Particularly Wonderful

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I had a terrible day at work. It's not all that often that my frustrations break past my rapport with people who come in the restaurant, but I had simply been there way too long this afternoon and I had my fill of incredibly unappreciative clients.

I might have mentioned this before, but I'm a bit of a flirt with my female co-workers. Trust me, it's nothing that borders on sexual harassment; I like hugging and laughing and goofing off with the girls, and they seem to like me alright.

And even though I had a damn shitty day at work, one girl named Amy said something really nice. She said that I looked good today; if you must know, I've been a little worn because I've been sick, and getting a compliment like that really hit me. (Personally, I think it's a good thing the bar 'n grill makes us wear black dress shirts tucked in with blue jeans. I think we all look better for it.) She gave me a huge hug and started playing with my hair; she likes it when I have it pulled back like so.

HairPulledBack.jpg
HairPonytail.jpg

The reason why I bring this up... two, really. I want to get people's personal reactions and experiences -- is it me or do people (in general) appreciate compliments like these, and in addition, hearing something nice like that can break someone out of a funky mood that it makes 'em smile? And two, well, I just wanted to bunk the sentiment that only women really appreciate hearing nice things. Guys do too.

So, there...

SpeedoGuy: Dee:

This guy also has some unpleasant days at the office... last Friday being one of them when a staff shortage resulted in me being forced to work a 16 hour shift.

On to your questions...

Yes, I think a few kind and appreciative words can bring out the better side of people...even during a particularly hectic day. Since I appreciate such comments, I, in turn, try to pass on some similar encouragement to others in the hopes of helping them through their day.

Its not always easy, but I try to maintain a positive attitude at work (even under trying circumstances)because the alternative is... well....

SG

Doubtless_Mouse: Dee- of course people respond well to comments like your friend made. I am constantly explaining to my wife that it would be nice to hear such things from her. It is expected that we as men tell women in our lives that they look nice or the odd term of endearment. But i know personally i need those as well. My wife almost never tells me she likes something i wear or how i look on a particular day - i would probably drop dead if she did as it just isn't her.

Oh well we can wish for the stars.

Max

Sexy Member
Media
Of course it's true that men like and need compliments as much as women .. but it is also true, I think, that a lot of women aren't aware of that fact. They think (wrongly) that a man's masculine confidence means he is above needing to be told good things about himself. One example is that if a guy is well hung .. it has to be good manners occasionally to tell him so.

A wise woman (and one worth keeping) knows that she must always be gentle with her man's ego, which is often a lot more fragile than he is prepared to admit. ;)

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Dee, that was a wise girl, indeed, to be aware that she had to do something before a patron ended up with his appetizer in his lap.

It's bad enough that we have to work when we're not feeling well and just as sure as that happens, we're called upon to work longer hours. Top that with grumpy, hard-to-please customers and you're ready to toss somebody's salad.

You're lucky to work with a person who cares enough about others that she selflessly takes the extra time to make her coworkers glad she's there.

We should all be so lucky.

Pecker

If you're gonna be blue, at least be bright blue.

gicast: Hey! I agree, a geniune compliment can definately turn your day around for the better!!! I too work in the Restuarant business and can relate!! My boss the other day told me he loved me!! (not sexual either by the way, just a very verbal, compliment for doing over and beyond what was required.) It made me feel great. So why don't girls compliment guys more when we obviously know how great this feels???

I do try to give compliments when possible, but I am always afraid that other guys will take it as a come on. I am married and very happy, so I don't want to send any inappropriate signals.

I compliment my hubby more than he ever compimented me for the first 9 years of marriage, and I know how it hurts to NOT get them, although now he has learned to be more verbal and our lives are SOOO much more fun and exciting because of it!

So, as a woman (and lets face it we talk alot) I love to compliment him, it reminds me of what a hot, sexy, sweet, caring man I have and I want him to know it. I need him to look only to me for these compliments not elsewhere!!!

joe22xxx: Hey Dee,
I know I appreciate it when people say cool things about me. I also happen to think your reaction to your female co-worker's comment says a lot about you. You are an aware and open person, and you're conscious of your feelings and responses. I think these happen to be great qualities in you. So while I've had similar experiences with friends and family expressing their appreciation for me, I don't think I'm near as mature as you are. I'm definitely aiming in that direction. And as you know already, I appreciate you a lot for all the reasons above. Thanx for the cool thread.

Javierdude22: Of course we like compliments as much as girls do...were only human. And I can imagine it breaking up a bad day at work.

We all like too look good, and a compliment sumply is a recognition of our efforts...great to hear em!

ITakeMyVitamins: It doesn't even take a spoken compliment. A big, unprovoked smile from a special friend can make you feel like you're on top of the world. You know, I think you reach a new level of maturity when you realize that the most precious things in life are the small, simple things. These are the things you cherish.