When you say 'I love you'...

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by funguy3, Jun 22, 2011.

1. funguy3

funguy3 Member

Albums:
    what do you normally hear back? Is your partner always quick with an "I love you too?", or are they a "me too"-er?

Which are you?

Personally, I typically respond with either "I love you too", or "I love you more". In response, I normally get the "I love you too", or "Ditto". hmmm... wait a minute..

thoughts?

2. Touch_here

Touch_here Member

Unless you know this person very well, and know their peccadillos, if they reply with anything that doesn't include "love", they are likely not interested. Just been my experience.

I will normally reply "I love you too.". My lasting relationships, similar was reciprocated. I don't know if I could enjoy "ditto". That relationship would need to be rock-solid.

3. B_bmm956

B_bmm956 New Member

Its a touchy almost taboo phrase in the American culture. But I think it has to do with how serious the other thinks of you. If they don't want anything serious with you they'll hesitate to let you know.

4. yhtang

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Ditto" was the response Patrick Swayze's character used in the film "Ghost." I don't think I would ever use this reply - I don't feel good about it.

I usually reply, "Love you lots" - but that's a response to children.

5. earllogjam

Gold Member

If you were a serious couple or married already, it would be very awkward if you didn't give a response other than "I love you too."

6. Astiran402

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    When it gets really passionate and when me and my partner tell eachother we love one another he always asks "forever?" and I always reply with some variation of "forever" such as "always", "for eternity" etc.

7. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've received a few "back at you" responses, a few of them have at other times said the words "I love you". I don't need to hear it when I can feel the love from him or her, it's nice to hear but not a requirement.

8. Intrigue

Intrigue New Member

Albums:
    Depends on the mood honestly. Mostly its "love ya too babe/baby/hunny/sugah dumplin" sometimes I say ditto but were are a strong couple so she knows I mean it.

9. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    I tell all my close friends and family that I love them whenever we talk because it may be the last time i speak to them.
    in some ways i love everybody

10. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    When I say I love you no one hears it because I'm alone in the room and say it to the air. He never knew how many times I said it. But oh well.

11. B_625girth

B_625girth New Member

wife tells me she love me all the time. we are usually, "love you too," or 'love u back". sometimes, my wife says "I love you" and I say, "I love me too" just to fuck with her.

12. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    The best "I love you" that I got this weekend was "I love you more." That, ladies and gents, came from a 3 year old. The best love ever!

13. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

To me these are sacred words in a way. Doing this one wrong can have lasting bad effects.

One of my best friends lost her husband a few years ago. The husband in question went in and laid down to take a nap suffering a massive heart attack in his sleep. She was working on a music program (professional musician) and when the husband told her he loved her before lying down she answered in a "me too" and has never forgiven herself for that. She has lamented that if she was dying the one thing that she would always want to remember were the words "I love you". She has punished herself for over a decade on the "mee too". Every time I have contact with my other-half I always close the conversation with "I Love You". If something should happen and my other half were to be splattered in an intersection leaving work as the life left his body I would want his last memory to be those words from me.

14. MickeyLee

Gold Member

the boy and meself have an "i love you" thang.

The Boy: I Love you.
    ML: more than beans and rice.

ML: i love you
    The Boy: more than slide guitar

we call back something we love heaps and heaps.. and let each other know we love each other more.

other responses.

The Boy: i love you
    ML: zombie love you *chews on him*

ML: i love you, stupid
    The Boy: *glomp, plays evil game of ketchup*

ketchup involves the boy holding me upside down and spanking my butt. like a bottle of ketchup :redface:

i so love my boy.

Draft saved Draft deleted