When you say 'I love you'...

funguy3

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what do you normally hear back? Is your partner always quick with an "I love you too?", or are they a "me too"-er?

Which are you?

Personally, I typically respond with either "I love you too", or "I love you more". In response, I normally get the "I love you too", or "Ditto". hmmm... wait a minute..

thoughts?

Touch_here

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Unless you know this person very well, and know their peccadillos, if they reply with anything that doesn't include "love", they are likely not interested. Just been my experience.

I will normally reply "I love you too.". My lasting relationships, similar was reciprocated. I don't know if I could enjoy "ditto". That relationship would need to be rock-solid.

B_bmm956

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its a touchy almost taboo phrase in the American culture. But I think it has to do with how serious the other thinks of you. If they don't want anything serious with you they'll hesitate to let you know.

yhtang

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Personally, I typically respond with either "I love you too", or "I love you more". In response, I normally get the "I love you too", or "Ditto".

"Ditto" was the response Patrick Swayze's character used in the film "Ghost." I don't think I would ever use this reply - I don't feel good about it.

I usually reply, "Love you lots" - but that's a response to children.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you were a serious couple or married already, it would be very awkward if you didn't give a response other than "I love you too."

Astiran402

Just Browsing
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
When it gets really passionate and when me and my partner tell eachother we love one another he always asks "forever?" and I always reply with some variation of "forever" such as "always", "for eternity" etc.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I've received a few "back at you" responses, a few of them have at other times said the words "I love you". I don't need to hear it when I can feel the love from him or her, it's nice to hear but not a requirement.

Intrigue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Depends on the mood honestly. Mostly its "love ya too babe/baby/hunny/sugah dumplin" sometimes I say ditto but were are a strong couple so she knows I mean it.

B_625girth

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
wife tells me she love me all the time. we are usually, "love you too," or 'love u back". sometimes, my wife says "I love you" and I say, "I love me too" just to fuck with her.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
To me these are sacred words in a way. Doing this one wrong can have lasting bad effects.

One of my best friends lost her husband a few years ago. The husband in question went in and laid down to take a nap suffering a massive heart attack in his sleep. She was working on a music program (professional musician) and when the husband told her he loved her before lying down she answered in a "me too" and has never forgiven herself for that. She has lamented that if she was dying the one thing that she would always want to remember were the words "I love you". She has punished herself for over a decade on the "mee too". Every time I have contact with my other-half I always close the conversation with "I Love You". If something should happen and my other half were to be splattered in an intersection leaving work as the life left his body I would want his last memory to be those words from me.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
the boy and meself have an "i love you" thang.

The Boy: I Love you.
ML: more than beans and rice.

ML: i love you
The Boy: more than slide guitar

we call back something we love heaps and heaps.. and let each other know we love each other more.

other responses.

The Boy: i love you
ML: zombie love you *chews on him*

ML: i love you, stupid
The Boy: *glomp, plays evil game of ketchup*

ketchup involves the boy holding me upside down and spanking my butt. like a bottle of ketchup :redface:

i so love my boy.