When's the last time a politician (or other public figure) INSPIRED you?

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
This lot running for president is a bunch of lackluster mediocrities. McCain and Obama are good guys, but neither of them is the kind of person I'd jump up and follow into battle. The rest all have their good and bad points, but they're not leaders in any sense of the word. When's the last time a public figure really stirred you up and signed you up?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not stirred. It's a bunch of pretty faces chanting the same three words over and over. That isn't inspiration, it's hypnosis. The man obviously has some good ideas, why pander in an effort to get them across.
(I guess you didn't listen to the speech)(a few more words than 3)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Well - even in retrospect I still find Daniel O'Connell* pretty inspiring. But then I'm not alone there - a certain Mahatma Ghandi felt the same way about him.

If you are talking about a modern politician I am actually somewhat inspired by the President. *gasps of horror* Please bear in mind that I am in France and when I refer to 'the President' with no further qualification I am of course talking about Nicolas Sarkozy. To have the intelligence, determination, insight and diplomacy to overcome being the son of an immigrant in a country almost as insular and inward looking as the USA to become President, with some fairly non-establishment views and policies to boot, is quite a feat. Inspired might be a slightly strong word - but he certainly impresses me more than most, a lot more than most.

* Pretty much the inventor of non-violent protest as we know it modern politics

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

It's a simple but seems to be a clever and modern take on a old technique of japa or repetitive mantra - with the use of inspirational emotive images and music used to re-enforce and embed the concepts; In this case to capitalise on popular sentiment of a desire for change - that Americans can do anything and that Obama=hope. It's an effective method, especially if you don't recognise it.

Starting with historical allusions, some emotive mental imagery about past social achievements (by others):

"It was a creed written into the founding documents..."

"it was whispered by slaves and abolitionists...as the blazed a trail toward freedom..."
"it was sung by immigrants as they struck out westward..."
"it was the call for workers to organise, for women to reach for the vote..."
"...a president who chose the moon as our new frontier..."

"A king who took us to the mountain top and pointed the way to the promised land..."

I know why it used but it's a interesting religious metaphor that last one - for a nation founded on a revolution against a monarchy and religious persecution and the separation of church and state.

To me, the the entire piece has an overly evangelical style, arms spread, awe, wonder in the faces, fisted salutes, displays of ethnic diversity and harmony to divert from the undeniable tensions. The use of mirrored imagery where the secondary players (nice celebrity types of course) mimic and re-enforce the principal.

Some nice touches..

"We will open the next chapter of the American story"
"We can heal this nation....we can repair this world.." (I'd suggest not)
"We know the battle ahead will be long...
Nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices seeking change" with accompanying mindless crowd chanting "We want change, we want change..." backed and given credence by the secondary players.

At which point it rather lost the plot with - "We've been asked to pause for a reality check...warned against offering the people of this nation false hope..." answered with "...but in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything remotely false about hope..." accompanied by a reprise of crowds chanting "we want change" while a collage of singers echo the same.

"That we are not as divided as our politics suggest...we are one people, we are one nation and together we will begin the next great chapter in the American story with three words that will ring from coast to coast, from sea to shining sea...Yes We Can."

Cue more repetitive multi-layered imagery, a rising crescendo to a sound track of canned clapping, a nice little gospel-esque finale with hope becoming...vote (interestingly, the only color in the piece) - presumably to enforce the effect....VOTE (Obama, naturally).Is it just me but how miserable do those people behind Obama look?
Don't misunderstand, it's well made, very effective to the right audience and I can see the appeal. But look beyond the glitz and there is nothing substantive being said and the only message appears to be, essentially: "America has done some good stuff in the past, it'll be tough in the future but we can do it if you vote for me, let's hope."

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media

President Kennedy encouraged everyone to improve fitness with a 50-mile hike.

In our town, that meant walking from the radio station through Prince George County and past Fort Lee, through part of Petersburg and downtown Colonial Heights, then through part of Chesterfield County and back into town to the radio station.

That was only 25 miles.

To complete the hike you had to turn around and do it all in reverse!

It was a blast.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I did listen to the speech. It was the best part of the whole video. The pretty faces chanting "Yes, we can" over and over is exactly what this country does not need in its political debates - it is pandering to the lowest common denominator. It dilutes the message. A good idea does not need to be punctuated by noise to give it weight. It either stands or falls on its own.

D

deleted213967

Josiah Bartlet

President of the United States on "The West Wing".

The don't make presidents like that any more.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This lot running for president is a bunch of lackluster mediocrities. McCain and Obama are good guys, but neither of them is the kind of person I'd jump up and follow into battle. The rest all have their good and bad points, but they're not leaders in any sense of the word. When's the last time a public figure really stirred you up and signed you up?
Never. I am not inspired by insipid speeches from politicians. True actions may inspire me; but words from a politician's mouth-usually penned by somebody else-do nothing for me. Show me what they have done (and Obama has done a great deal) and that is what will inspire me and lead me towards following them.