where did all the muscular guys go

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by BudoTitan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BudoTitan

BudoTitan Member

Albums:
    Why is it nowadays society seems more into the skinny ripped guys than body builder types. My whole goal is to become hulk like and my wife loves big men but overall its seems its looked down upon.

Are the days of arnold and ferrigno over or is it just not as portrayed in the media.

2. monel

Gold Member

Schwarzenegger and Ferringno were never anywhere close to the norm so I don't think you can say are those days over. There are still body builders and they remain a small minority.

For a country where more than 50% of the population is considered overweight, I think it it inaccurate to say society prefers skinny, ripped guys.

However, for those into exercising and working out, there is a decided shift from the use of steroids and other such drugs. This limits somewhat the size some people can achieve. Additionally, there is a different view of what constitutes a healthy weight even for those who work out and it is generally lighter than might have been accepted 30 years ago.

For myself, I never had any interest in getting huge - even if I could. At some point in ones life the body begins to lose elasticity and the bigger the muscles when young, the lower they will hang when you're older. I'd rather be thinner and keep everything approximately in the place it belongs.

3. musclebare9

Gold Member

In the past, many of the big guys got their size from steroid use. It was kept quiet and the big guys were looked up to. Now everybody knows that juicing isn't cool. A more natural lean muscular look is acceptable.

4. BudoTitan

BudoTitan Member

Albums:
    well true there is the whole steroid thing. I guess my thoughts were aimed at more of the media portrayal. It used to be that all the heros in movies were muscular guys. Im not even talking about back in the day movies. Early 2000 movies still had muscular guys. Look at russel crow in gladiator who was triumphant over a skinnier guy. There are several more examples that i dont feel like listing. As of late though many of the love interests or heros are more shredded and lean. I do think that part of the thing with our country being so obese in general makes them lean more towards the shredded as the ideal body. Maybe due to steroids or some other reason people may feel lean is more obtainable.

I guess in a way im looking for a poll on what people prefer

5. alx

alx
    Gold Member

Personally my goal for when i get back into the gym is to be lean/toned. Never been a fan of massive guys.

Massive bodybuilding bodys do tend to have a negative vibe about them. People will assume steroids have been used (which is a fair assumption).

Taking steroids isn't attractive its needy. I have a mate that's on steroids atm and he is huge, so huge its stupid.

The leaner toned guy just comes across as a healthy person that likes to go to the gym every now and again ( tbh their lifestyle is just as involved as the huge steroids guys)

Tbh the natural body isn't that heavily muscled, this concept that society has with men with bulging arms, shoulders, rock hard abs, massive pecs and lats that's give you a major v shape back is crazy.

You won't get any of that without a top diet and workout. I work in the construction industry so its a pretty active physically hard environment, none of the guys have massive muscles (ok well usually big traps, but that's all).

So weather you go down the huge or lean look youll be pushing your body to the limit.

6. B_cosmognosis

B_cosmognosis New Member

I'll stick with being a lean machine, thanks...The possibility that a huge guy, all jacked up on supplements and 'roids will end up a fat guy is so great that it's not worth it. Lean, quick and healthy is the way to go. Didn't we learn that from the dinosaurs?

As the above poster stated, all that extra muscle looks unnatural anyways. Add a fake tan and dyed hair and a guy will look as ridiculous as one of those blonde bimbos with pneumatic tits, lips and ass.

#6 B_cosmognosis, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  7. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

how about, whatever happened to skinny nonmuscular twinks? Yesterday. I met my next door neighbor's 20 y.o. son, tall, thin, blond, wearing nothing but shorts and apparently no hair anywhere except his head and pubes (if he doesn't shave them), and I thought again about how many guys looked like him when I was in high school and college--and now what a high percentage of that age group is muscular or fat.

8. xmarksbreakdownx

Gold Member

Albums:
    That is honestly a big turn off for me, and a guy with alot of muscles. I like every day guys and skinny guys, but really really buff guys? No thank you.

9. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I like big muscles up to a point. There are some guys at the gym that are really huge. Although I admire their strength and the work they put into getting where they are, I'm most attracted to lean, muscular guys. I tend to be stocky and have to work very hard to keep an athletic look. I've always envied the lean, tight skinned guys that can work out for a few months and look like the Statue of David. Seffnerman and Buzzrider are 2 guys here at LPSG that have the kind of body that I like. To me, they are the epitome of a hot guy.

10. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

They decided it just wasn't worth it. They all decided to eat ice cream, get fat, and wear baggy comfortable clothes.

11. WillyLong

WillyLong Active Member

There is a definite attack on masculinity these days. The more masculine traits a man possesses, the more he's seen as a threat, a Neanderthal. Those traits include, but are not limited to big muscles, facial hair, and body hair.

These attacks can be seen in television commercials. Anytime you see a commercial that features a man and a woman, the man is always dumb, and the woman is always smart. The latest Nivea for men body wash commercial emasculates men by letting them know they had better get rid of their beards and body hair before stepping out of the shower.

There's even a gym chain that professes it doesn't discriminate, but in actuality, it does discriminate against men. Men who dare to be men. Men who have the nerve to embrace their masculinity by looking and acting masculine http://www.brinkzone.com/videos/why-you-should-boycott-planet-fitness-gyms/.

Basically, masculine men, thanks to this female driven society, are seen as villains, whereas metrosexual and more feminine acting and looking men are not.

I'm all for female liberation, but not at the expense of a man's right to be a man.

12. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

I can get into both the juice monkey look and the leaner styles

13. Auburn22

Auburn22 Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Lets just all do what ever the fuk makes us happy omg!

14. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

oh, hell, yeah!

15. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Sneaks peak at OCMuscleJock's gallery... yeah, I like 'em big, and that's me speaking as a woman and feminist in a "female driven society"....

:grinning-smiley-003 Good luck! Confidence is what matters, so I would stop worrying what others might think about what you do with your own body.

My gym is 90+% male and a few are big, but most are just fit, with good definition. I'd argue the muscular look has faded a bit because it takes so much time and dedication, much more a factor than society finding the look unattractive.

#15 D_Fiona_Farvel, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  16. BudoTitan

BudoTitan Member

Albums:
    im not opposed to anything. I stated before that i also work on performance. Im all about any body getting into the shape they want. If you want to be lean go ahead and work for that. As long as you know the results you want and are willing to work i think thats awesome. i was mostly wondering why people seem to have shifted from bulk to lean, and it seems it really lean at that. I will list a few examples just so we can through body styles out in the discussion.

bruce lee- very low bulk with extreme definition

leonidas/gerard butler in 300- medium amount of bulk with great definition

stalone or statham in expendables- great bulk medium definition

arnold circa 1971 Mr. Universe competition-great bulk great definition

current bodybuilders like flex wheeler or jay culter-extreme bulk extreme definition

see i would like to be between arnold and stalone. I am playing around with my proportions to get the look i want but for me i dont need the extreme bulk. Im not opposed to any of these looks but it almost seems like in the movies and tv the heroeswaiver between bruce and gerard with no great bulk or definition.

Either way you mold your body it takes work and sweat. I also believe even for us bulkier guys definition will make you look bigger so dont lack on that part of the workout.

Whatever you do though just enjoy yourself and it will all help in the end.

17. Mr_Bulldog

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As a former competitive weight lifter I can tell you it's dangerous. I've never used steroids or other supplements. But it got to the point that blood vessels would burst in my eyes from the amount of weighted lifted and nerves would pinch off for days. It's nice to look at but hard to live.

18. parchissi

Gold Member

MensHealth Magazine has always put a well toned leaner guy on their covers - and alot of guys buy that magazine - so its the look most guys are after now a days I guess.

19. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because one is healthy and natural, and the other is not.

Draft saved Draft deleted