Where does lint come from?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A salesman came over this afternoon to give a spiel on why his water filtration/purification system is the best. :rolleyes: In part of his talk he mentioned that the reason the lint trap in the dryer gets covered so quickly is because of all the impurities in our water. :confused: I thought the lint came from the towels, sweaters, and other fleecey things. :confused: He laughed and said no but that if we had his water system which works by reverse osmosis we would only need to clean the lint trap once a month! :smile: FYI - cleaning the dryer lint trap isn't even a blip on the radar of annoying things in my life. :biggrin1: It really doesn't bother me. He tried to tell me that showering in it made my skin dry and itchy (it doesn't); because the local reservoir was so dirty, afterall they allow boats in it. :biggrin1: :lmao: Apparently he knows firsthand that the local water treatment plant is not up to code so we may actually be getting fecal matter and motor oil in our water.

Luckily my bullshit meter went off when he arrived at my door talking to someone on his cell phone. :mad:

We would like to get a water purifier, are any of them good? If so which one?

What is reverse osmosis? Why is it necessary for water purification?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He's talking bullshit about the lint, hard water does leave residue on pots and in the washing machine, however hard water is supposed to be better to drink despite it not tasting as nice.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've thought about this again and it's really not on the way salesmen are allowed to spout crap they could have made up on the spot - imagine if it was some little old person who was a bit vague, they might have believed his bs and parted with some much needed money. Write to his company and complain.

Reverse osmosis is a process of passing water through a membrane at the molecular level. That means only water passes through the membrane. Further filters and carbon filters take out large particulate matter and chlorine.

It's not bullshit, it really does work, it's just that most people don't need it. If you want to know what your water quality is then take a pint of it to the pharmacy or cooperative extension and they'll send it out for testing at little cost.

Now if you have a well in a farm area, or have hard or sulfer water, then an R/O system might be a good investment. Hard water does wear down your water heater and, if you have baseboard heating, your heating system and leaves stains on your fixtures, leaves a white sheen on your dark colored clothing, and makes cleaning a bit of a pain in the ass. Sulfer water is just horrible period and, in that case, an R/O system can mean not moving out of your home.

If you grow orchids or other delicate plants, then an R/O system is a must if you don't have steady and clean rain catchment.

It's wise to periodically test your water, especially with a well. It is unwise to buy something that you don't need or want.

Reactions: Hoss

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I have a trap door in my dryer that sucks the socks (especially if they are new socks) into a vault under my house. Im sure if you found a way into that vault all of our old socks would be there with random keys and the mate to my slippers.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've thought about this again and it's really not on the way salesmen are allowed to spout crap they could have made up on the spot - imagine if it was some little old person who was a bit vague, they might have believed his bs and parted with some much needed money. Write to his company and complain.

Exactly, my 77 year old mom was supposed to be here. I think I will write his company. :cool:

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
haha. what a lame marketing scheme.
lint comes from what you said njqt,threads fibers that fluff off.
the guy's company is lame. ;)
funny ass story though.
:smile:

Belly_Dancer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
A salesman came over this afternoon to give a spiel on why his water filtration/purification system is the best. :rolleyes: In part of his talk he mentioned that the reason the lint trap in the dryer gets covered so quickly is because of all the impurities in our water. :confused: I thought the lint came from the towels, sweaters, and other fleecey things. :confused: He laughed and said no but that if we had his water system which works by reverse osmosis we would only need to clean the lint trap once a month!

The next time a salesman tries to feed you a line of bullshit like this, ask him if he plans to use his penis as part of the water filtration/purification system. If he doesn't, then you can probably filter water just fine without his help.
We would like to get a water purifier, are any of them good? If so which one?

Sorry; don't know. I grew up in the country and we had very hard well water, we never used a purifier and I turned out just fine. Honest.

Pecker is correct. It comes from clothes wearing out. It has absolutely nothing to do with the water.

I've never had belly button lint, I think outies are more prone to it.
I don't know. I'm an innie and don't get lint, but so was my ex and he had lint all the time. He used to think it was cute to pull it out and try to hand it to me.

That was soooo not sexy.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I vote bullshit on the lint coming from the water supply. You could easily test it by running a wash with no clothes in it. If you still get lint, then maybe he is right.

Lint comes from clothes. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Anyway, RO filters really work well. I have one from Sears. I have it because of sulfer in our water, but the main reason is that the coffee I make from it tastes great. However, one for the whole house would be really expensive. Mine is under the kitchen sink and dispenses drinking water only through a separate spout. I have this one.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Aliens HicK?
Next thing you'll be telling us that you sit around the house with your head wrapped in tin foil so they can't pick up your brain waves.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Of course lint doesn't come from the water supply...then again if it's necessary to have a filter separating you from your publicly supplied water JA, maybe you are right in being paranoid. Thank goodness Sears is looking out for you...conspiracy theories aside of course...:smile: NJQT...I think you know you did fine and in the future google or wikipedia will give u a much more succinct answer to these type of questions, but maybe not as varied and interesting as you'll find here. But I think you knew that too...:biggrin1: