Where have Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton gone?

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm puzzled by the sarcasm in your response. I was just making jest of:

Bill O’Reilly: My Dinner With Al Sharpton | PoliticalArticles.NET

Now, I'd ask you to uncoil a bit.

I don't get it Speedo. O'Reilly went to a predominantly black restaurant and he had a good time? Something is wrong with that? If Bill Cosby or John Witherspoon went to a white, Italian restuarant, and had a good time it he would be a sellout?

Ha, its funny. I work with an affluent African American, and he will readily concede that the stereotype of blacks in the white community is valid. When you make jest of this type of scenario, you demonstrate your ignorance and dismissal of reality. When you can applaud O'Reilly for going to a black restaurant in Harlem, then you are qualified to debate this subject. Until then, you are part of the problem, Speedo.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't get it Speedo.

No. You don't get it. It's just a joke.

When you can applaud O'Reilly for going to a black restaurant in Harlem, then you are qualified to debate this subject. Until then, you are part of the problem, Speedo.

I'll try to remember I need your permission to have or utter an opinion.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I would hardly agree that stereotypes of Blacks within the White community are valid. Even the concept of a "valid stereotype" is somewhat bizarre to me.

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that in some instances there is sufficient cause for viewing members of any culture or community in generalities, but hardly altogether "valid", no more valid than to assume all white guys say "dewd" and "gnarly" imo.

For example I replied to the question “where have they gone” with the comment that maybe certain Black activists (previously named) were dining with Duke. I expected some sort of rebuttal however none came. It is interesting to me that the comment provoked less response that a subsequent comment about their dining with O'Reilly. There's a reason for this.

It's because the absurdity of the analogy was lost on most here. I know from a fact, in numerous casual conversations with whites that the scenario I suggested is not by any means absurd to them because in their minds, Malcolm X, Sharpton, Jackson, Davis, Wright et. al. are synonymous with Duke. In their view they are the same, their exact words in fact. Therefore, my placing them all at the same table raised nary an eyebrow.

I think the finer points of each of these individual's perspectives are lost on most. Duke was a supremist and a separatists. (Maybe he still is, though his current approach is by comparison much more “tactful’).

Of the others only Malcolm X would've fit that category and as we know, he disavowed that particular point of view after his pilgrimage.

As for the others, though their methods were not always of the greatest finesse, were somewhat “in your face”, they (for the most part) ultimately were seeking to raise awareness of discrimination and social injustices. They weren't seeking the separation of the races but perhaps a greater level of equality among them - and at least a fairer (if not more harmonious) society (though the end results of those efforts were often quite the opposite).

So subsequently I have concluded from my conversations (and personal observations) that the mere business of raising awareness of racism makes one (in the minds of some) a racist. (??) This is because in their minds, the activist is raising either a false or phony issue, or playing some race “card” solely for the purpose of "self-promotion" and/or achieving some unfair advantage over, presumable, another race.

In fact, I would imagine, by that same definition, that I'd be considered a racist too, just for mentioning the fact that racism in our country is still too prevalent, though improving. (I might add however - just to put things in perspective - that a recent survey of Black Americans revealed that a very small percentage would agree with that last statement).

In truth, I personally do not think that many of the individuals named previously belong at the same "table" with Duke. That a few too many would disagree is, imo, unfortunate.

Last edited: