Where my German brothas at, what what!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by marleyisalegend, Jun 9, 2008.

1. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    The earliest family member I know is my great grandmother, Viola Pinkett-Smith who was born circa 1920's. Searching her name on genealogy sites, I've hit immediate roadblocks as these sites require a middle-name, the street she grew up on, her favorite color, favorite ice-cream, panty-size, blood-type, turn-ons and turn-offs, and her 3rd grade teacher's maiden name spelled backwards in Yiddish (okay I'm exaggerating but only because I'm frustrated with how many fucking questions they ask).

So I'm seeking help first of all to find a genealogy site where a fucking name, county/state and time period of birth are sufficient as I'm sure this is atleast enough info to get me started. Seriously, how many Viola Pinkett-Smiths can there be in a dirtroad county in Georgia in the 1920'? It's not like I'm searching for a John Smith in NY or a Jessica Miller (I've known 7 Jessica Millers) in Cali.

An interesting aspect my sister introduced me to is that part of my heritage is German. She explained that, at some point, there was a significant movement of German immigrants to Georgia. I'll ask her later today but at this point I'm unsure if these Germans came from somewhere else in the US, from Germany, or somewhere else entirely. I imagine that if she knows this information it may make things slightly easier. The only reason I'm asking now is that I can't sleep and this is sorta my project for the morning (that along with a good wank, a smoke, and making some grits, sausage, biscuits, and eggs).

Anyhow, any information, links, etc.. would be greatly appreciated. This includes general German culture/history, or specifics regarding Germans settling in Georgia, in or around Macon County. The reason I'm searching for articles now is, the way it was explained to me, this was not a mere family or two of Germans moving to Georgia, but a large enough movement that it's possibly referenced in an article somewhere on the web (nowadays, what isn't?). Maybe I'll see something that clicks or coincides with what I already know (which isn't much but a few names, dates, etc...)

Insomnia sucks.

2. Northland

Gold Member

Are you related to the Scheipers? I had an unfortunate affair with a Scheiper many years ago. It was my first threesome and involved a Dunleavy as well...

Scheiper was German and looked it (you don't seem to resemble him), Dunleavy was Irish. We had an interesting melting pot going on there although I must confess, Scheiper would go soft after too many beers.

3. Viking_UK

Gold Member

Rootsweb is usually pretty good, although it can turn up hundreds of totally irrelevant names, however I don't think Violetta would be that common a name, so you're in with a chance. Have you tried googling her name?

I got most of mine off UK sites, but that's probably not going to help you any - unless you have a bit of Scottish in you, which is possible, as a lot of Scots ended up in the Carolinas and Georgia.

Here's one link to some info that might help: Palatine Home

Good luck with it.

4. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

wait marley, does this mean you're german chocolate now?

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I can help you out with some Schweitzers who started out in what in now Bavaria in the late 1500's, streamlined their name somewhat while in Ireland and settled in Mecklenberg, NC in the 1700's...but maybe you should cut to the chase and call your cousin Jada and see what she has to say. :wink: [Actually, Ancestry.com is pretty good as well]

6. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I took German for a year in middle school, 3 years in high school and 4 semesters in college. I am not as fluent as I used to be, and I have still been able to hold conversation with a few German people.

7. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think i was there but I don't remember much.:tongue:

So far I've gotten back to my great great grandfather, thanks guys for your help I'm looking at a few of those sites and am starting to fill in some holes (insert gay joke:biggrin1:)

Draft saved Draft deleted