Where to Find Velvet Slippers in New York?

I've got a problem. I need a pair of slippers for a semi-formal party on the 6th of October. I can't find any place that has basic black velvet evening slippers for a reasonable price. I used to have a pair of black lace-ups which worked just fine until my feet widened and the shoes became something akin to Spanish boots.

Embroidery would be nice but I'd be happy with just a bow or maybe even plain. I considered getting a pair of pumps but they seem to cost more than the slippers and I don't like shiny patent leather in the least.

I'm hoping maybe some of the New Yorkers here might know a good place to find discounted good shoes or some other place in Manhattan that would have a pair that doesn't cost $935 :eek5: as they do over at Ralph Lauren.

Geez, they are expensive.

I looked online and the cheapest i found were $160 form stubbs & wootton

I know! That's why I'm hoping to find a discount or thrift store (remember Ritz thrift? Er, no you wouldn't as you're in the UK) that might have them at a bargain. I hate ordering shoes online because you can't try them on! I'll be in the city tomorrow so I'm hoping to find something. I don't want to spend more than $200 ($150 I made doing a job) though if I can't find anything I may just bite the bullet and get some lace-ups yet those are expensive too. Buying shoes is damned annoying. I hate it.

I can't get the Stubbs and Wootton website to load at all. Ugh. This only happens to ME!

This is a question for Nudeyorker. He is the guru of NY fashion and know where to find EVERYTHING.

I was thinking the same thing though our price leagues may be a bit disparate. Still, a bargain store or such might have something. I'm usually a size 9.5 or 10 so it's not like I need anything special.

Have you tried buying online like here for example?

The problem with buying shoes online is that you can't try them on. I find that some shoes fit and others don't even if they're the same size. I'd hate to buy online only to discover that they don't fit and have to return them or, worse, wear them and be miserable.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can't get the Stubbs and Wootton website to load at all. Ugh. This only happens to ME!
Il.

:biggrin1: I could'nt get it to load either so it's a site issue they must be having.

They have just relocated their store to Manhatten and may have a new store opening discount thing going on, they moved less than two weeks ago and $160 were the price i saw for a pair of black velvet embroidered slippers.

It might be worth checking for an address to go and take a look around in person.

Try here at Gucci or Ralph Lauren!
Woodbury Common Premium Outlets

I'm going there on Thursday. I have a doctor's appointment in the next town. There's a Brooks Brothers there too and I saw they have a pair made by an English firm everyone over at Ask Andy says is good.

The problem with Woodbury is that's it's very hit or miss. Sometimes they have what you're looking for and sometimes not. Formal shoes are a bit of a problem because they never go out of style so it's not like you're going to find last year's pump there just because it's last year. I tried desperately to get a pair of Gucci loafers through the Gucci store there but they never had my size or style so I had to get them retail. Of course, what I wanted was the ordinary classic loafer everyone else wants. Sometimes they have shoes with slight imperfections and I don't mind that at all so long as they fit.

I was hoping to find some great men's shoe store somewhere in Manhattan that had these kinds of things cheap. I'm discovering that's very difficult because demand for these shoes is so low. My father is loaning me his scarlet vest so I won't need to buy one (thank God!). I have a miserable black backless affair that's just impossible to keep properly adjusted and I still have enough of a belly that cummerbunds just roll over or slide up!

Anne had better damn well appreciate all this!:tongue:

:biggrin1: I could'nt get it to load either so it's a site issue they must be having.

They have just relocated their store to Manhatten and may have a new store opening discount thing going on, they moved less than two weeks ago and $160 were the price i saw for a pair of black velvet embroidered slippers.

It might be worth checking for an address to go and take a look around in person.

"Discount" and "Carlyle Hotel" really and truly don't go hand-in-hand but I can give it a shot. That price is within my range. Maybe they'll take pity on me or I can blow a salesman in the back room.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well Jason, sometimes you can get lucky at Woodbury, I bought a pair of tuxedo pumps on Madison Ave and found the same pair at Woodbury 6 months later for less than half the price. (Now I have two pair)
The only other idea I have is ether try Filene's or DSW but I think you will have better luck at Woodbury. Good Luck!

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
ether try Filene's or DSW but I think you will have better luck at Woodbury. Good Luck!

DSW and Filene's are right down here across the street if you're coming in any time soon. Of course I can go in and look for you but I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for.

Well Jason, sometimes you can get lucky at Woodbury, I bought a pair of tuxedo pumps on Madison Ave and found the same pair at Woodbury 6 months later for less than half the price. (Now I have two pair)
The only other idea I have is ether try Filene's or DSW but I think you will have better luck at Woodbury. Good Luck!

Where'd you find them at Woodbury? Nick8 says both Filene's and DSW are right near him so we'll give that a shot tomorrow.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Where'd you find them at Woodbury? Nick8 says both Filene's and DSW are right near him so we'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Your best bet is Gucci and Ralph Lifshitz, but check Bally, Neiman's, Barney's, Brooks Brothers and Saks. I bought a beautiful pair of fall Fratelli Rossetti shoes there this past summer.

Your best bet is Gucci and Ralph Lifshitz, but check Bally, Neiman's, Barney's, Brooks Brothers and Saks. I bought a beautiful pair of fall Fratelli Rossetti shoes there this past summer.

Ah sweet! I'll give them all a shot. Thank you so much!